• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

. I don't mean to be an ass by posting my finds, and I'm sorry if I discouraged anyone from posting.
This is a bragging thread - brag as much as you want! :laugh: Also, your awesome finds really brought this thread out of the polyester Christian Dior Monsieur doldrums.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edgar Pomeroy is really nice stuff from what Some of their pieces feature styling is quite edgy and fashion forward. such as the suit that darkmatter found (single breasted and peak lapels).

Single breast, 2 button, peak lapel seems hot these days. I'd resolved not to report this here, having deemed it un-braggable (though hopefully sellable), but today I thrifted a mid-gray tonic pinstripe Boss today in this style (double vent, flat front; Super 100s). Same donor dropped a Faconable Made in Italy blue blazer/silver buttons/double vent/notch lapel. This momma is well constructed; full canvas. Research has not yielded a definitive answer who makes their Italy stuff; any input appreciated.

Last edited:

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Logsdail will actually be in the next episode of PTO. He's a great guy.

Looked like an orphaned jacket, though, unless you didn't shoot the pants.

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Single breast, 2 button, peak lapel seems hot these days. I'd resolved not to report this here, having deemed it un-braggable (though hopefully sellable), but today I thrifted a mid-gray tonic pinstripe Boss today in this style (double vent, flat front; Super 100s). Same donor dropped a Faconable Made in Italy blue blazer/silver buttons/double vent/notch lapel. This momma is well constructed; full canvas. Research has not yielded a definitive answer who makes their Italy stuff; any input appreciated.

You should post a pic of the content label. I found a Faconnable Tailleur piece a few days ago. It was made by Cantarelli.

Logsdail will actually be in the next episode of PTO. He's a great guy.
Looked like an orphaned jacket, though, unless you didn't shoot the pants.

Yeah... it is.... I looked through the mens pants twice, the womens pants, the misc racks, and asked two employees if they'd seen the pants =/ Thats what the
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
was for.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should post a pic of the content label.  

Ask and ye shall receive.

Both items were tagged EU56L, but I suspect they would fit much closer to a 44L (they weren't too big on me, e.g.,)

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Last edited:

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So, another step closer to finding the treasure trove of vintage bikes for which I'm searching: I drove by a run-down building today with signs that said "USED BIKES". Saw a few road bikes, so I stopped. Looked around a bit, dude had retail-ish prices, even though not really retail quality. Had a nice talk with the man that runs the place and he revealed to me that it was a for-charity operation so he tries to get the most out of the bikes, which I can understand, and therefore didn't make an offer. I did mention I was looking specifically for older Italian bikes such as Bianchi and Pinarello, to which he replied that he had about 7 ultra-high-end custom bikes in a warehouse. He said FOUR were donated by the same guy (at this point I was thinking in my head, "Why couldn't these have shown up at Goodwill for $30/each?!"). But, he couldn't remember the names because they were so esoteric. I told him I would be interested, but he said that he wants to put them on eBay to get the most, because some component sets are worth well over $1000. He did say that if the complete bike doesn't reach the $1000+ goal, that he would part out the bikes. To this I replied, that if this happened, I would certainly be interested in the frames. His plans are for the future, as apparently they are moving because they have outgrown their current location, and he needs to start an eBay account. I got his card to keep in contact, and as I was driving to the next thrift store, I got the idea to help him out. I am going to offer to list the bikes for him, and help him maximize the profit. If I discover these bikes are incredibly rare, I may just try to purchase them myself.

Anyway, on to stuff everybody else in this thread cares about...

Finally got myself a mannequin! I don't have my lighting equipment in yet, so I had to get creative with stuff I had around the house. Also, I need to take a little more care with pinning.

A few days' worth haul:

Gieves & Hawkes by [I think] HF:
IMG_7685.jpg

IMG_7687.jpg

IMG_7732.jpg

IMG_7733.jpg

So speaking of Canali not being SF-approved, I think this coat may change a few minds. So ******* cool. :slayer:

IMG_7688.jpg

IMG_7689.jpg

IMG_7690.jpg

IMG_7734.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

IMG_7737.jpg

IMG_7738.jpg

IMG_7739.jpg

No idea what this is. The font on the cashmere label leads me to believe it's Chinese Cashmere?

IMG_7695.jpg

IMG_7696.jpg

IMG_7723.jpg

IMG_7724.jpg

Sweet Paul Stuart with MOP buttons:

IMG_7697.jpg

IMG_7698.jpg

IMG_7719.jpg

IMG_7720.jpg

Southwick:

IMG_7699.jpg

IMG_7700.jpg

IMG_7713.jpg

Burberrys suit. Bought just because I like the windowpane:

IMG_7701.jpg

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I see that Gieves & Hawkes tag every once in a while, and have wondered who the maker is....

I assume it's Hickey Freeman, because it's a similar tag to other coats I have by HF. Coat is also fully-canvassed. I've seen other diffusion line G&H that I've passed on that hasn't been up to par with quality, plus this pattern was cool.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I assume it's Hickey Freeman, because it's a similar tag to other coats I have by HF. Coat is also fully-canvassed. I've seen other diffusion line G&H that I've passed on that hasn't been up to par with quality, plus this pattern was cool.

It is Hickey Freeman; you are correct. The inner tag for the HF-made G&H is pretty much identical to the inner HF tags. Sometimes they even stitch a small 'G&H" on the left side of the inner liner where HF sews the 'HF'.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
So, another step closer to finding the treasure trove of vintage bikes for which I'm searching: I drove by a run-down building today with signs that said "USED BIKES". Saw a few road bikes, so I stopped. Looked around a bit, dude had retail-ish prices, even though not really retail quality. Had a nice talk with the man that runs the place and he revealed to me that it was a for-charity operation so he tries to get the most out of the bikes, which I can understand, and therefore didn't make an offer. I did mention I was looking specifically for older Italian bikes such as Bianchi and Pinarello, to which he replied that he had about 7 ultra-high-end custom bikes in a warehouse. He said FOUR were donated by the same guy (at this point I was thinking in my head, "Why couldn't these have shown up at Goodwill for $30/each?!"). But, he couldn't remember the names because they were so esoteric. I told him I would be interested, but he said that he wants to put them on eBay to get the most, because some component sets are worth well over $1000. He did say that if the complete bike doesn't reach the $1000+ goal, that he would part out the bikes. To this I replied, that if this happened, I would certainly be interested in the frames. His plans are for the future, as apparently they are moving because they have outgrown their current location, and he needs to start an eBay account. I got his card to keep in contact, and as I was driving to the next thrift store, I got the idea to help him out. I am going to offer to list the bikes for him, and help him maximize the profit. If I discover these bikes are incredibly rare, I may just try to purchase them myself.
Anyway, on to stuff everybody else in this thread cares about...
Finally got myself a mannequin! I don't have my lighting equipment in yet, so I had to get creative with stuff I had around the house. Also, I need to take a little more care with pinning.
A few days' worth haul:

So speaking of Canali not being SF-approved, I think this coat may change a few minds. So ******* cool.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

IMG_7688.jpg

IMG_7689.jpg

IMG_7690.jpg

IMG_7734.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

IMG_7737.jpg

IMG_7738.jpg

IMG_7739.jpg
No idea what this is. The font on the cashmere label leads me to believe it's Chinese Cashmere?
IMG_7695.jpg

IMG_7696.jpg

IMG_7723.jpg

IMG_7724.jpg

Sweet Paul Stuart with MOP buttons:
IMG_7697.jpg

IMG_7698.jpg

IMG_7719.jpg

IMG_7720.jpg

Southwick:
IMG_7699.jpg

IMG_7700.jpg

IMG_7713.jpg

Burberrys suit. Bought just because I like the windowpane:
IMG_7701.jpg

Nice idea to help him out with the bikes. You can prob max out his profit and at the same time he will be greatful and be happier to pay you back with parts, or "pay you a commission in bike parts"

Just my opinion, so take it for what its worth...about nothing, but I would toss a sheet over that bright red coca-cola sign (or take it down for pictures) if you are going to use these for ebay. It is really really distracting.

tonylamer

Reaction score
@330CK. That Canali number is awesome. As we go from parka weather to a-little-cool-at-the-ballpark weather, it begs the following question: What's the difference between a blazer and an outerwear coat?

Madroaster

Reaction score

@330CK. That Canali number is awesome. As we go from parka weather to a-little-cool-at-the-ballpark weather, it begs the following question: What's the difference between a blazer and an outerwear coat?

For me, that coat becomes proper outerwear when it gets a fourth button, up top. That coat, with a fourth button, represents a big hole I've been trying to fill for a long time now. My main worry is that by the time I find one, it'll be too warm to wear and I'll have to wait for months to get to enjoy it.

That horizontal line across the chest also makes it outerweary to me. The only time I've seen that on a regular jacket has been on made-in-the-Middle-East for Middle East customers. Seems to be popular there.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cantarelli

Great find!

Too funny! I hadn't hit the cash machine yet and was almost short on cash. I had to pay for the blazer with change from my car, plus the lady comped me a buck. I almost left the blazer thinking the Boss would flip for more. Glad I didn't.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The ones that are made in the USA are made by HF. Some are made other places... I swapped for a G&H made in Italy DB navy blazer that was made by Belvest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads