Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Is this a Drakes-made tie? The "Hand Made in England" looks right, but I've never heard of a Burberry/Drakes collaboration.

I've never found a Drakes tie before. I'd appreciate opinions.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

2. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

*Hits computer a couple of times* Is something wrong with the forum tonight.....?

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Quote: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sure looks that way. Show me the tag on the skinny end.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG]

5. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Thanks for the help, Spoo. Here it is. Not the usual Drakes tag; it looks to be in the Burberry font. Still, with the "Hand Made in England" tag....

[​IMG]

Drakes or not, it's a nice tie.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

thats not a drakes manufacture, but it is nice!

7. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Damn. That's too bad. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

It's crazy how similar they are, though. The "Hand Made in England" tag is even stitched on exactly the same way, and the twill angle on the tag matches that of the Drakes tag exactly too (doesn't show up well in my bad photo). I'll just let myself believe it's a Drakes and no one will be the wiser. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Good pull. Count me in as a Canali fan on SF. :nodding:

While waiting for my wife at mall, I perused the men's section at Macy's. An interesting discovery was that I saw some Perry Ellis jackets with SURGEONS CUFFS. These were part of their suit separates. I predict they will be hitting the thrifts in a year or 2 so watch out.

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I for one like the buyers coming to me. If I intend to keep the said item, I just clearly state in my post that I'm keeping them (like those Isaia sportcoats).

IIRC, Dobbs hats are well made an worth some money. As for the reel to reel deck, big mistake passing it up if it was less than $70. High tail it back there and keep your fingers crossed it's still there.

10. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Okay but I'm not selling. After I get the alterations done on it, that BBGF will take its place at the head of the line as my "buryin' suit"! As I find ever better suits, they bump the previous suit. My only issue with this one is that it means I'll spend eternity wearing brown. :plain:

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Hence why I wasnt replying to your post buuuuudy. [​IMG] All in good fun Dig.Glad you found a BBGF! I'm not sure they even made them in my size lol [​IMG]

GMMcL said "I had a similarly recent BBGF hand tailored (Martin Greenfield) blue pinstripe I was trying to sell/trade. Wool was soft and buttery, working surgeon cuffs. Granted the measurements were odd, but I got no love on SF and barely covered my costs on Ebay"

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I understood but you had included my post in your reply and it seemed like a good opportunity to make it clear to any potential buyers that I was keeping it. My seamstress is backed up right now going into Easter but I'll get it altered A.S.A.P. The volume in the pant legs is enormous. That's why I was certain that I'd find the gray pants as well. I just can't imagine someone buying them as separates with such a small waist and big legs.

I bet it's still hidden in the building somewhere but I just don't have the time to go back and search again. :fu:

13. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Alright, I'm sorry, but this isn't funny. It isn't April fools day yet....

You guys DO realize what I posted 2.5 hours ago.... There hasn't been a single response... I'm baffled....

Err... I feel silly making this post, but come on guys!

14. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

Hey guys, I'm just back from a spring break trip to Spooland (aka Manhattan). See below for a thrifting report from the Big Apple. I drove down to Rochester, MN with my family today to pick up our dog from my in-laws. We hit the GW there, and I was hoping to strike gold from some Mayo Clinic doctor. Nothing for me, but I grabbed a couple suits that I want to offer up. Let me know if either of these would work for someone here.

First, a gray glen plaid with blue pinstripe HSM Gold Trumpeter. It's a bit old (1994), but I didn't think it looked too dated. Tagged 46R, but it seems bigger than that. I'm usually a 46 and this is too big for me. The pants have two pleats.

[​IMG]

Second, a recent Hickey Freeman gray with blue pinstripe in 36R (Brianpore, I'm looking at you). This is their Madison line. Pants have two pleats. It looks practically mint and feels really nice.

[​IMG]

I know neither of these are exactly grail finds, but things have been pretty dry around here lately with Nataku sucking all the great stuff out of the stores. :D

My wife and I dragged our two kids to several thrift stores in Manhattan. (It helped that my 10-year-old is really hoping to find a suit for himself.)

We didn't have a lot of thrifting time since it was a vacation and all, but we hit a couple clusters of stores on the upper east side (3rd Ave between 84th and 77th streets) and the lower east side (3rd Ave and 23rd St). There are a bunch of GW and SA locations around too, but I was more interested in checking out the specialty thrifts. Prices are definitely higher than GW or SA at those locations, but I wouldn't say they're any worse than eBay with the big advantage of trying the items on.

The ratio of quality to crappy items is off the charts compared to what I find in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Tons of really great suits, but the stores are strangely lacking anything 44-46. Either there are no larger people with nice clothes in NYC or all of the larger people are hitting the thrifts hard. If I were 40R I could have walked away with 20 gorgeous suits. The Sloan Kettering thrift store had a row of 20 NWT Brioni dress shirts for $80-125 (prices on the tags were $450-600). I saw a bunch of RLPL, Barbera, etc. too. Again, nothing in the 17x35 I was looking for. Still no decent shoes though. I don't know where people find those consistently.

All in all it was fun to see all the really awesome stuff, but frustrating to strike out like I did. I did hit Century 21 near Lincoln Center and grabbed four silk pocket squares on a good sale. They were about $7 each for no name ones and $24 for a really nice Brioni (far right).

[​IMG]

I also stopped by the Oxxford store while my wife and kids were at FAO Schwartz. Amazing! I had to be buzzed in to the store, and I was the only one there. I tried on a simply gorgeous navy suit that fit me like a glove off the rack. The quality was off the charts, but I had to pass on it. The $3,895 price tag might have strained my marriage. :)

Next time I'm going to hit the GW and SA locations too and hope for better luck.

15. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Hi! Here's some of the highlights of the past couple of days:

1x Barbour red check L/S shirt (w/ one odd bright red button?). 17 x 36.

[​IMG]

2x Hilditch & Key spread collar FC dress shirts w/ MOP buttons. 15 1/2 x 33.

1x Huntsman navy blue suit jacket with double vents and working surgeon's cuffs. (It's an orphan, but I'm going back tomorrow to try and find the pants). Measures 42 R.

[​IMG]

1x Engineered Garments work shirt with 2 breast pockets. Marked XL

[​IMG]

1x VINTAGE J. Press tuxedo with shawl collar! Measures like 38 - 40 L.

1x J. Press summer-weight flat-front khaki pants. 32 x 30.

1x J. Press wool flannel flat-front mid-gray pants. 33 x 30.

aaand some other misc. Trad / Ivy stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.