The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

+1 [​IMG]

It wasnt really a snipe attempt more that I saw the number in the "Shell guide" and assumed they were so made a quick deal for a fair/cheap price. No one was "bidding" against me. Yes looking at the creasing (didnt see it in the tiny photos from the ebay listing) they are not shell....oops. Instead of spending $60-80 on them I spent $100...not the end of the world as they are my size (hard to find) and in nice condition. Live and learn.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Had an ok day today. Pretty dry out there lately. Found these Alden tassel loafers (10 B/D). Available. Sorry, noob question. What's up with B/D? Are they narrow? If so, what's the significance of the D? I rarely come across nice shoes so I don't know much about them. Also scored a nice pair of Filson flat front whipcords. That makes 5 pairs in my closet now. :laugh: I think I have one too many pairs now so these are also available.

Alden:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filson:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I agree. It does happen. AE's are great shoes, but they've never really worked out for me, so I don't own any (I used to, but sold them). AE's are kind of like BB button-down collar shirts to me in that I wouldn't spend a lot for either since both will turn up sooner or later while thrifting with a little consistency and patience.

Not thrifted, but I did score these for myself on eBay last week for $34.99 + $12.50 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/37059008430...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

Alan McAfee, made in England, perfect fit.

5. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

B/D = D

6. applky

applky Senior member

^ Haha, looks like you're making some kind of high-concept emoticon there.

But yes, in Alden land B/D = a D width shoe. (A/C = C width. C/E = E width.) My understanding is the "smaller" letter denotes the width of the heel.

7. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

the B is heel width, D the rest.

I have some filson's like that. Weird to wear, heh. BUilt like a brick s#1thouse, though! WHere you YOU wear them? SHoveling show?

8. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Came across a new one today - Rubinacci sport coat, looked about my size so I tried it on, realized as I was buttoning it it was a women's. I haven't had any luck flipping women's stuff, tbh not that interested in spending the time figuring out what's good/not, so if anybody is interested in a size 44 (IT I'm pretty sure) houndstooth sport coat let me know, I can go back for it first thing tomorrow.

9. TDP

TDP Senior member

Dear censors of the internetz,
    Let's play a game of ‘Guess the reptile!’! I chanced across this lightly worn thing earlier today: a Brooks Brothers belt in 42, Made in Italy, clasp in silver brass, with a caramelly and black leather on the exterior and mocha suede interior. My question is: what animal is on the outside?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also got a beautiful, baby-blue gingham shirt in 16"x35.6" spread collar, with french cuffs, by Arthur & Fox, a canonical Parisian men's shop.

Shoulders: 21.25"
    Shoulder seam to end of cuff, folded: 25"
    Chest: 25"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Both items are available, so do PM me if interested!)

10. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

I've never gone for women's clothing..... but this caught my eye:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Does anyone know anything about this stuff?

11. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Mariano Rubinacci (RTW line) or true Rubinacci? If it's true Rubinacci, I'd want it just to look at and admire the craftsmanship.

12. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

DIBS SO HARD

Also, what's up with Erripi Vesi? I saw one locally but passed on it - made in Italy, sure, decent fabric, sure, but the one I saw had plastic buttons so I left it.

13. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

I believe RTW line, had a Rubinacci tag and a size 44 tag - so I'm guessing that it's only the bespoke line that is any good?

14. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

Finally got to cross Florsheim Imperial V Cleats off my list of things to find. And even better, my brother called me the day before for advice on buying a pair of black shoes.These are in his size and match the tan V Cleats I got him for Christmas. I had the earlier pair shipped directly to him, so I never got to see them in person. They're definitely tanks.
    [​IMG]

Also picked up these Roman Martegani suede tassel loafers. From their "Boutique Line", whatever that is. Size 11D. The suede is in excellent condition. There's a little wear on the soles, but the insides, strangely, seem new. Available for trade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ties: Ferragamo (lighthouses), Missoni (I really like the print on this one), Armani, and Alexander Shields, which is a strange one. I hadn't heard of him, and reading up on him, he invented the jersey cotton suit, so...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Also found a 1950s B. Altman & Co. heavy wool shirt. Perfect condition aside from two missing buttons. How do these things survive 60+ years looking like new?
    [​IMG]

And then I found three sets of these "Made in France" shoe trees:
    [​IMG]

15. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Except that I loathe eBay and do it as little as possible, although sometimes it is unavoidable. Like darkmatter, I just don't have the time or patience, so I parcel post it to someone who does, and I think it works out for everyone--I do OK, he does OK, the buyers do better than either of us, considering all they have to do is click. No one's getting rich, that much I know for sure.

Changing subjects, I don't want to blow anyone's spot or anything, but I'm in Chicago for the weekend and came across what was, to me, an absolute stunner of a suit for not much money. It's a HF grey chalkstripe flannel with a 3/2 configuration, marked $1,895 and reduced to $359 at a well-known discounting place. It's around a 42R, too small for me, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation. But lovely fabric, cuffs unfinished so you can do the surgeon thing. Don't bother me with a lot of what label HF, etc., etc., because I don't know much about that. But this suit is, in my view, killer, and I'm crying that it won't work for me.

I understand that this isn't anything flippers would be interested in, but if there anyone has interest, PM and I'll reveal the spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.