The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I'm in. I'll be in the area next week but sadly I won't have a car and will likely be spending a lot of time with the inlaws. Doh....

Beautiful shoes..... :drool:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

2. mainy

mainy Senior member

I have decidedly small hands :foo: Must be the lens

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

What the fresh hell is THIS?? Armani VS169!

I would! I luvz me some round shades!
    [​IMG]

He would but... :fu:
    You and Nat got all my money this week with your fancy Brooks Brothers navy DB and your Aquascutum wool rainwear!

[​IMG]

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:fence:

If they didn't want you to use it, they wouldn't offer it for free.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

If memory serves me right, the spinal column will be ripped from the cadaver.

7. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

+1.

They know people use them like that, and they make the decision to offer them for free regardless. Of course their policy is going to be that you shouldn't, they want to discourage it.

The postal service is never going to be profitable, but that's not the end of the world. It hurts that things are shifting away from paper, but that's not what is going to keep them from turning a profit, nor is using more of their supplies than may be strictly necessary. The PO services everyone and operates everywhere. Go to a tiny little town of 100 people and there will be a post office there. That office is never going to make a profit, and there are just too many of those for the profitable services they offer to compensate.

They're either going to be more expensive or they are going to be subsidized, because they are always going to offer service that is not profitable. It's like public transportation (in Europe) that services all sorts of out of the way destinations. I think that these types of public goods are worth subsidizing, but the benefits are definitely not always obvious and they aren't popular, especially in the United States.

Personally, I think the PO does a damn good job and use them pretty much exclusively.

8. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Anyone here know if it's possible to restore gold blazer buttons? I passed on a Hong Kong tailored coat with sweet Holland & Sherry buttons. The only problem is the plating is worn through in places. Cost effective?

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

This logic..it's not even..I don't even...what.

Sigh. Why do I even try? [​IMG]

Joking aside, they have very strong and serious language on the packages prohibiting misuse of USPS resources, and I assure you it's not for shit's and giggles man. They do, explicitly discourage it on the packaging. The fact that we all look at that and LOL is immaterial.

And honestly, if we all adopted Brianpore's philosophy (no offense/calling you out man, you were just the loudest one advocating for this position), then this bolded part wouldn't necessarily be evident to everyone. There's a large contingent of people calling for the dismantling of the USPS precisely because it is unprofitable.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1, If I might add...I believe the USPS is also the only carrier which delivers to every address internationally, at least I'm sure I read that somewhere recently. I use them almost exclusively unless a customer requests differently.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

12. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Mainy,
    Good shoe haul. Hopefully you'll get some 9s or 9.5s if you go back. Only no winged shoes:nodding:

I agree with the dude that mentioned those post offices in the middle of nowhere. Problem is that Members of Congress always nix any attempt to close down these branches. And, talk about a cushy job. 3 employees to serve a couple thousand people, maybe 100 or so homes and businesses. My wife is from a small sub 3K town with one post office.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

So...not a great week of thrifting here. These things happen I guess. On the bright side it has given me some time to make some trades with some others here, and also catch up on my eBay listings.

No major scores, however find some usefull items today.
    A new double set of metal collar stays in 2 sizes.
    A nice set of shoe keepers.
    A total of $1.50

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

I know things are a bit more pricey out there, but... proxy for 40-42?

Well, the postal system was laid out in the Constitution, so....

Also, if you're using multiple layers of Priority mail stuff and sending via Priority mail, aren't you using them for the intended purpose?

15. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

It is possible, but I've never had anything done. (Thought about it for an old razor, but decided I wasn't that sentimental about it.) Here's a place in Milwaukee that does electroplating. http://www.artisticplating.net/ definitely in the "don't try this at home boys and girls," as gold plating involves some sort of cyanide bath as I understand it. The other problem IIRC is that you end up with a pretty thin layer of gold, so you quickly end up right back where you started, or sometimes worse.

There are a couple of people on this thread who should know better than me about this, so I hope they'll correct anything I said wrong or anything I don't know about. I really hope they will if they can tell me that there is a reasonably priced reasonable quality way of doing this on small gold plated objects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.