Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

When I saw these at first glance, I thought they were some kind of thrifted Persols, lol. I almost dropped my laptop.

Also, I came across a weird animal. A slim-fitting crisp white shirt with a cutaway collar. The label only read "LOUIE" in all caps in white block print on a black rectangle. The size tag read "15 1/2" and "Made in Italy." It has thick MOP buttons attached with a crow's foot stitch and the collar neck button was engraved "Luigi Borrelli." I Googled it and cannot find any information as to the line itself or affiliation with Luigi Borrelli (other than the "LOUIE" = "Luigi" reference). Anybody out there know anything about it?

Thanks!
    -M-

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sorry bro, but I call total bullshit on this. I ship priority/express mail for nearly everything, and its in a PM tyvek envelope inside a PM box. The supplies are free for the service I use, and Im gonna use them. 99.9% of the time its a protected item that the client is happy with, and it lowers my OOP expenses and raises my profit margin.

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I had an apparent mix-up when a postal worker scrawled the wrong names across my tracking receipts...so there would be no mix-ups. :facepalm:

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Actually lol'd just now.

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I don't even necessarily agree with him, but in his defense, this is utterly non-responsive to what he's saying. He's saying that USPS's costs are increased by people who, instead of buying their own materials, use the "free" Priority envelopes provided by USPS (provided at USPS's expense) to act as the inner packing that they would otherwise pay for. Now, if he's correct and the other services (UPS/FedEx) don't provide these same packing materials for free, then he's right that it does add to their expenses to a degree that the other packing services don't suffer from. Whether he's correct or not (ie: whether UPS & FedEx charge for their envelopes), I have no idea. But whether it lowers your overall expenses and raises your profit margin is irrelevant.

Even if it's true that you ship in a Priority box, his point is that you're using the "free" priority envelope *in addition to* the priority box, paid for at USPS's expense. It's a relatively weak point, but an accurate one.

6. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

Dig will be all over these.

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I think we're neighbors.

8. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

fedex and ups provide free supplies, last I checked.

IMHO on a macro level, USPS is expensive (and getting more expensive) because the system is set up for economies of scale in a world where paper reigned supreme. And gas was cheaper. WIth email and other modes of communication taking over (smartphones, texting, FB messaging etc) they gotta gut that system and probably raise letter stamps and just quit the bulk mailing business.

Also, on a micro level, I balance out spoo's overuse of supplies by reusing boxes when I can (we get a lot here).

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I just want to know how you guys get free envelopes? I mail Priority all the time, always paying like $2.50 per bubble mailer b/c I'm too lazy to head to the dollar store, I guess...

Also, new rule: you guys with the avatars that seem to shout, Hey, I'm young happenin' dude on the make, always on the verge of scoring, apparently, you lose-tard! are no longer allowed to post back to back. :facepalm:

[​IMG]

10. workthatwedo

workthatwedo Senior member

Can't you just go to the USPS website and have them deliver you priority supplies free?

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Yeah, I always just duck-in to the post office to mail packages -- they've just never mentioned free envelopes, mailers, etc. I just grab 'em from the wall, wait in line, pay for them, walk back to my car, address them, stand in line again, then mail.

12. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

on to other business.

Was in Cambridge MA for a conference I had to cover. I skipped out on the free lunch (I hate conference food, instead I just pack protein bars and walk at noon) and hit the Goodwill on Mass Ave. Remembering tales from this thrift thread, I harbored little hope. Aquascutum suit was there, as were a couple BBs...nothing to write home about but...

...My find of the day was a group of five Jantzen Tailor shirts, french cuffs, fit me perfectly, nice fabric, MOP buttons chill chill chilly. Very good shape, dry cleaned before donated.

[​IMG]

Apologies for the sucky cellphone photo; I'm just mexicutioner-unicorn-proofing the post, ha!

Nobody wanted these because the cuffs were monogrammed. I brought them home because I have been handy with a stitch-puller in the past on other projects and thought it was worth a $30 gamble.

I was wrong.

However, I can just have my tailor turn the monogrammed cuffs inside out, right, and I'm good to go? Anyone else ever do this? These are great shirts but for the monograms, and one of them came with a sweet set of onyx cufflinks!

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

[Internal monologue] If he doesn't, can I pull these off....?

Taking on Spoo? Well, it was nice knowing you AndroFan...

14. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

yes.

the mailers they sell in the post offices are padded. And you are not legally required to use them for priority mail.

Priority mail supplies (marked as such) are not padded. They are free at the P.O. or if they are delivered to your house. But it's illegal to use them for any other shipping method. In essence, you're agreeing to ship it priority when you use them.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.