• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
When I saw these at first glance, I thought they were some kind of thrifted Persols, lol. I almost dropped my laptop.

I found these today at the SA. Sweet vintage Giorgio Armani Gatsby's- available

Also, I came across a weird animal. A slim-fitting crisp white shirt with a cutaway collar. The label only read "LOUIE" in all caps in white block print on a black rectangle. The size tag read "15 1/2" and "Made in Italy." It has thick MOP buttons attached with a crow's foot stitch and the collar neck button was engraved "Luigi Borrelli." I Googled it and cannot find any information as to the line itself or affiliation with Luigi Borrelli (other than the "LOUIE" = "Luigi" reference). Anybody out there know anything about it?

Thanks!
-M-

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It pisses me off every time I get something shipped to me in "layers" of priority/express mail envelopes.  It seems like quite a few people do this, including some people on this forum.  I'm sure the expense from this abuse is significant for the post office, and it is surely reflected in the prices they charge.  I don't see why people can't invest in the few cents per shipment to get the appropriate supplies.

Sorry bro, but I call total bullshit on this. I ship priority/express mail for nearly everything, and its in a PM tyvek envelope inside a PM box. The supplies are free for the service I use, and Im gonna use them. 99.9% of the time its a protected item that the client is happy with, and it lowers my OOP expenses and raises my profit margin.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Has anyone been experiencing increased USPS shipping mixups lately? I have had 2 priority packages be misrouted in the last month.

I had an apparent mix-up when a postal worker scrawled the wrong names across my tracking receipts...so there would be no mix-ups. :facepalm:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had an apparent mix-up when a postal worker scrawled the wrong names across my tracking receipts...so there would be no mix-ups.
facepalm.gif

Actually lol'd just now.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't even necessarily agree with him, but in his defense, this is utterly non-responsive to what he's saying. He's saying that USPS's costs are increased by people who, instead of buying their own materials, use the "free" Priority envelopes provided by USPS (provided at USPS's expense) to act as the inner packing that they would otherwise pay for. Now, if he's correct and the other services (UPS/FedEx) don't provide these same packing materials for free, then he's right that it does add to their expenses to a degree that the other packing services don't suffer from. Whether he's correct or not (ie: whether UPS & FedEx charge for their envelopes), I have no idea. But whether it lowers your overall expenses and raises your profit margin is irrelevant.

Even if it's true that you ship in a Priority box, his point is that you're using the "free" priority envelope *in addition to* the priority box, paid for at USPS's expense. It's a relatively weak point, but an accurate one.

Sorry bro, but I call total bullshit on this. I ship priority/express mail for nearly everything, and its in a PM tyvek envelope inside a PM box. The supplies are free for the service I use, and Im gonna use them. 99.9% of the time its a protected item that the client is happy with, and it lowers my OOP expenses and raises my profit margin.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many Goodwills in my area price goods that could conceivably be flipped for much higher prices.  Still reasonable: $24.99 for Thomas Pink, Tyrwhitt, level shirts, $14.99 for similar quality ties, up to $50 for nice suits and sportcoats etc.  Still reasonable if the item is in good condition and something in your size, but not good enough to flip.

I think we're neighbors.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

I don't even necessarily agree with him, but in his defense, this is utterly non-responsive to what he's saying.  He's saying that USPS's costs are increased by people who, instead of buying their own materials, use the "free" Priority envelopes provided by USPS (provided at USPS's expense) to act as the inner packing that they would otherwise pay for.  Now, if he's correct and the other services (UPS/FedEx) don't provide these same packing materials for free, then he's right that it does add to their expenses to a degree that the other packing services don't suffer from.  Whether he's correct or not (ie: whether UPS & FedEx charge for their envelopes), I have no idea.  But whether it lowers your overall expenses and raises your profit margin is irrelevant. 

Even if it's true that you ship in a Priority box, his point is that you're using the "free" priority envelope *in addition to* the priority box, paid for at USPS's expense.  It's a relatively weak point, but an accurate one. 

fedex and ups provide free supplies, last I checked.

IMHO on a macro level, USPS is expensive (and getting more expensive) because the system is set up for economies of scale in a world where paper reigned supreme. And gas was cheaper. WIth email and other modes of communication taking over (smartphones, texting, FB messaging etc) they gotta gut that system and probably raise letter stamps and just quit the bulk mailing business.

Also, on a micro level, I balance out spoo's overuse of supplies by reusing boxes when I can (we get a lot here).

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just want to know how you guys get free envelopes? I mail Priority all the time, always paying like $2.50 per bubble mailer b/c I'm too lazy to head to the dollar store, I guess...

Also, new rule: you guys with the avatars that seem to shout, Hey, I'm young happenin' dude on the make, always on the verge of scoring, apparently, you lose-tard! are no longer allowed to post back to back. :facepalm:

ccZAn.png

workthatwedo

Reaction score
Can't you just go to the USPS website and have them deliver you priority supplies free?

I just want to know how you guys get free envelopes? I mail Priority all the time, always paying like $2.50 per bubble mailer b/c I'm too lazy to head to the dollar store, I guess...

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I always just duck-in to the post office to mail packages -- they've just never mentioned free envelopes, mailers, etc. I just grab 'em from the wall, wait in line, pay for them, walk back to my car, address them, stand in line again, then mail.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
on to other business.

Was in Cambridge MA for a conference I had to cover. I skipped out on the free lunch (I hate conference food, instead I just pack protein bars and walk at noon) and hit the Goodwill on Mass Ave. Remembering tales from this thrift thread, I harbored little hope. Aquascutum suit was there, as were a couple BBs...nothing to write home about but...

...My find of the day was a group of five Jantzen Tailor shirts, french cuffs, fit me perfectly, nice fabric, MOP buttons chill chill chilly. Very good shape, dry cleaned before donated.

Apologies for the sucky cellphone photo; I'm just mexicutioner-unicorn-proofing the post, ha!

Nobody wanted these because the cuffs were monogrammed. I brought them home because I have been handy with a stitch-puller in the past on other projects and thought it was worth a $30 gamble.

I was wrong.

However, I can just have my tailor turn the monogrammed cuffs inside out, right, and I'm good to go? Anyone else ever do this? These are great shirts but for the monograms, and one of them came with a sweet set of onyx cufflinks!

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dig will be all over these.

[Internal monologue] If he doesn't, can I pull these off....?

Even if it's true that you ship in a Priority box, his point is that you're using the "free" priority envelope *in addition to* the priority box, paid for at USPS's expense.  It's a relatively weak point, but an accurate one. 

Taking on Spoo? Well, it was nice knowing you AndroFan...

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Can't you just go to the USPS website and have them deliver you priority supplies free?

yes.

the mailers they sell in the post offices are padded. And you are not legally required to use them for priority mail.

Priority mail supplies (marked as such) are not padded. They are free at the P.O. or if they are delivered to your house. But it's illegal to use them for any other shipping method. In essence, you're agreeing to ship it priority when you use them.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, new rule: you guys with the avatars that seem to shout, Hey, I'm young happenin' dude on the make, always on the verge of scoring, apparently, you lose-tard! are no longer allowed to post back to back.
facepalm.gif

ccZAn.png

rotflmao.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads