The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

+1

Sorry, but "agreeing to disagree" is only relevant when hard facts aren't at issue - one such hard fact is that the USPS isn't tax or government funded - it's a wholly independent agency, with many powers that are really very NON-government-like (see 39 USC 401 et seq for more info).

It's a common misconception, unfortunately. I know people inside USPS HQ, and they all say the same thing: political considerations and Congress hold back any significant change or improvement. You know that processing center consolidation they're doing? They've been trying to get that approved for years. There's currently a huge upgrade for scanning systems for regional hubs (to improve them to the same as what UPS/Fedex use) that has been pending for ~2 years now, and looks like it may finally get approved - but who knows with Beltway time!

Most people also don't realize just how much of the mail goes on Fedex, either - when you see a package go from coast to coast with every single scan possible hitting it, that probably was on a pallet that went on a FedEx plane, sitting right next to FedEx packages that were paid for at a much higher rate.

There's a lot of other humdrum stuff - for example, the main issue tends not to be technology, but people. Convincing, for example, truck drivers and local employees who have been in their jobs for 25 years to do things differently, act with some urgency, and scan every package every time has proven... difficult. Almost Sisyphean, apparently.

In my experience, a lot of people's hate for the Post Office is really directed at their local workers who don't give a flip and let a line go out the door at the local office, or who muck up or lose packages. Those things do happen, sure - but put it this way, I've toured UPS/Fedex/Airborne (before they were DHL) facilities and they all throw packages around the same way as any random local USPS worker might. So much depends on those local workers, and they don't even realize it or care all that much... as you can imagine, this gives upper management fits.

I will say that I think the USPS is the best game in town for shipping, so long as you don't need the special services UPS/Fedex can offer. Even heavy, long-distance shipments - those used to be cheapest on FedEx, but not anymore. So long as you don't have to muddle about with waiting in line and can just drop your stuff off, why bother? Who cares? Why pay more?

/rant :embar:

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

"political considerations and Congress hold back any significant change or improvement."

My point exactly, sorry if it was articulated in a different way, but the government is killing the post office, and who do you think is going to be on the hook for the billions....the tax payers (one way or another)...you and me. And yea, I only ship USPS also, as it's the cheapest best way to ship.

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

One of my disagreements was that they aren't really running an $8 billion deficit... Due to an act of Congress they are forced to PRE-PAY for the medical insurance their employees will get AFTER RETIREMENT. No business does this, so it's a totally skewed comparison.

I'm glad we agree that they're the cheapest and best way to ship. I really like the USPS and don't understand why it gets so much hate in politics. Of course, the politicians who criticize never actually have to do anything as plebeian as shipping their own packages, so...

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Yeah, if it was my size I'd be all over it, even though I wouldn't wear it for 7 months or so... Very cool pattern.

5. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Mr Deep - what town are you in? I could swear I saw that shirt within the last couple of days!

6. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

ha well I'll tell ya its nowhere near milwaukee....I'm over in philly/nj area

7. applky

applky Senior member

South jerz is all about that paisley inside yoke/contrast placket/pink shirt steez. Ladies anywhere will give you a ride if you wear that (but only to the shore).

8. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Nice collection of ties.....

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Glad some of you liked the coat. It has already been packed and shipped to a distinguished member of the thrifting forum.

10. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

I hope it's not going to that guy who bought my red Brooks Brothers tie.
    If it was, for the love of God don't let him find out how much you paid for it. :nest:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

11. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Is there a story here?

12. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Yes...and the moral of the story is...."Cut off the prices from your pricetags before shipping out your item."

13. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Was it sold to a SF member?

14. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

15. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Found the thread. That guy is an idiot :facepalm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.