The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valium

valium Senior member

ps googled that pioneer you found,stunning!!!!!
    i actually like it more then the TEAC.
    you were nuts to sell that....daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn nataku

2. chiggah

chiggah Senior member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I know, I'm really kicking myself. It's a beautiful machine. I technically found two RT-909s. I had found another about a week or two after I sold my first. I came into work at the Sally on a Monday morning and we were bringing in donations that people dumped Sunday while we were closed. Some gonzo dumped a clean RT-909 outside the drop bins (for clothes) and it got rained on Sunday night! Ugh! I think I got it to power up and that was it. Tinkered with it a bit had had no luck. Sold it for parts and still got $250-$275 for it.

I remember when I bought the first one I was talking to one of the truck drivers. He said he's surprised we even accepted the donation. He told me that most managers/stores turn them down and if they get one it goes right into the dumpsters as it's "so obsolete". I just about cried.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

*cocks trigger*

*cries*

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

5. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

There was an article on the Wall Street journal a couple years back about how valuable the old analog made in the US recording tapes are. Wilco in mentioned in particular was mentioned as they prefer to record this way instead of digital. The tape is still made in China but they don't like the quality compared to the old US made stuff.

6. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

The kashgora I actually picked up for myself as it felt awesome, was sized right, and filled a gap in my wardrobe. I'm happy with it. Too bad I probably won't be wearing it for another 7 months or so, as the temps were in the 70s yesterday!

7. GHo

GHo Senior member

that's the way it is in Iowa. I'd venture to guess that no store in the state carries RLPL, Kiton, Brioni, Borrelli, Fray, etc. etc.

we make due with BB, Polo, and Harris Tweed.

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Question for fellow ebayers. Has anyone been experiencing increased USPS shipping mixups lately? I have had 2 priority packages be misrouted in the last month.

The first was to Pennsylvania (same state as me). It went through San Antonio TX on its way to a location less than 2 hours away from me.
    On the March 8 I sent a pair of Bruno Maglis Priority to Concord CA, I just found out the tracking is indicating it is in Puerto Rico. Not really the most efficient route. The P.O. has no idea why.

No wonder the rates keep going up.

9. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

A few weeks ago I found 3 Brioni and 1 Kiton shirt (pics are in this thread somewhere) but these were the first instances of finding this brand in the area in several hundred thrift store visits. They are clearly 'imports' to the region. Compare this to the high number of Hickey Freeman we find given the factory store is in the region...

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

The rates keep going up because it is a bloated, government run program, not based on what we still need due to technology. It should have been scaled back at the same pace "green energy" was pushed on us (better stock up on those old light bulbs before they are gone forever) [​IMG] and the PO would'nt be looking at an 8 BILLION dollar a year deficit (EVERY YEAR!!). Close the majority of the small middle of no where post offices and have all post offices break up mail into every other day delivery M,W,F and T, Th, Sat, delivery. Do you really need mail 6 days a week? Get out of the business of "fast/express" mail and leave it to companies that know what they are doing and make money doing it, UPS, FedEx, DHL, Stick to the super cheap, slow delivery that the mail was created for in the first place. Rant over.

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Disagree completely with almost all of this.

12. GHo

GHo Senior member

yes, I've seen the same thing. I was shipped a suit from Canada about a month ago (from Vancouver area). I followed it to a checkpoint in Chicago, thought "great, should be here in a day or so." no suit showed up for a couple days, checked again, and it was in California. wtf? seriously? All in all, it took about 3 weeks.

Now that I think about it, this was UPS though. :paranoia:

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

We agree to disagree, and that's what makes this country great but here are a few graphs to kind of show my point about the need to reduce it's size [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to thrifting...nothing spectacular but picked this HF jacket up yesterday.

Hickey Freeman Madison Gray Check Wool/Silk Sport Coat 42L
    Size: Tagged 42L
    Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 22.5"
    Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 19.25"
    Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 26"
    Overall Length (bottom of collar to hem): 32.5""
    67% Worsted Wool & 33% Silk
    Center Rear Vent
    Fully Lined
    Fully Canvassed
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Loving that pattern!

15. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

+1
    And please take the following for the good-natured ribbing it's intended to be: Brianpore's rant is interesting given he's got instructions for how to use the free Priority materials to send non-priority items.

Edit: And Daddy Likey the Hickey. Nice pickup. I'd trade if I had anything your size. :cry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.