The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Don't be so quick to forget the stuff we were seeing pop up daily when the Dallas thrift finds were getting posted. Went out to wendys for a burger came back with all these brioni shirts.

2. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

A lone stop today yielded the following flat front (!) navy zanellas:

[​IMG]

Waist: 40" (can let out 1")
    crotch inseam: 26.5" (let out another 2")
    overall length: 38"
    pants rise: 12"
    plain cuffs

Not in as mint condition as the Saks one I found this past weekend, but still good. Available.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Haha, that was pure luck. I hadn't seen a decent turntable in over a year, if not longer. I had been looking for one for myself for several months. One of those rare occasions when you actually find something (quite specific) you're looking for in a thrift! Remember, Minneapolis is the hipster capitol of the nation. Turntables and good vinyl are very scarce in thrift shops and garage sales around here.

That stuff was crazy. I know Chris moved but I wonder what happened to Earnest (EBTX66). They both came across insane finds a lot of us would never see. Loro Piana deerskin jackets, motherlode closet hauls of recent Zegna & Oxxford suits and even passing up silk print Versace shirts!

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

And with that peek into Spoo's mind we know why he won't let people in to see his closet [​IMG]

5. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Aw crap... I knew I should have gone home for spring break... I was looking forward to checking out the stores there [​IMG]

edit: I'm sorry, I'm really being awful. That said, I was being truthful...

6. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Something must be in the air, because I too had a good tie haul. 2 Roosters, 2 E. Zegna, Borrelli, Barbera, Canali, aaaaannnnd my first Brioni. Whoo hoo ! [​IMG][​IMG]

Also, 5 shirts. E. Zegna, Canali, C. Tyrwhitt, Barneys and a Gitman. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

PM on that borrelli and that brioni! mmmm

8. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Forgot this one:[​IMG]

It has some really interest fabric- weave, french cuffs. Anyone know what year this one's from?

9. valium

valium Senior member

i see your DUAL turntable (great score by the way) and raise u a mint condition TEAC X-1000R reel to reel in rosewood (!!!).
    got it for $44.99 minus 30% off coupon.heres the best part:the manager saw me buying it and said he knew how much these are worth but wanted to "make someones day".
    he watched as it sat on the shelf for 4 days till i came along!!!!!
    going rate $800-$1200

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow! That's a major find right there! I've been after a reel to reel deck for a coon's age. I found a mint Pioneer RT-909 when I was working at the Salvation Army maybe 7-8 years ago. Bought it and tried to locate some factory recorded tapes. Looked for a year and with no results so I sold it for $750 on the bay. A few months later at a garage sale I came across a box of factory recorded reel to reel tapes! Arg! Not only that, but it was the stuff I was into. Lots of CCR, John Mayall, Incredible String Band, Canned Heat, etc. Kicking myself for selling it! I bought the tapes obviously and have been on the hunt for another nice deck ever since.

These reel to reel tapes and decks are scarce because not only were the decks expensive but so were the tapes. Back in the late 60's and early 70's LPs ran about $4. Stereo cassette tapes were about $6-$7 and these reel to reel tapes were $9-$10. You had to have some bread to spend if you got into these things.

11. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Older than late 90's. I can't say more than that.

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

There's been a yellow Sulla shirt sitting on the racks for awhile now...could this possibly be correct? :confused:

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Why - WHY!!! - are these so DAMN SHORT!

14. valium

valium Senior member

crap,the manager told me he had about 10 boxes with about 50 reels in each box with the unit.he wanted $5 bucks per box,but a lot of it was self recorded stuff etc i didnt feel like going through it.maybe now i will?
    also i just found out this unit retailed 655 british pounds in 1981 when new,any idea what that works out to with inflation anybody?

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Definitely go through the boxes. Any factory recorded pop/rock stuff in the boxes is worth something, especially at those prices.

A quick currency conversion brings that to about $1,200. With inflation, I'd say that thing would run a good $6,000-7,000 today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.