1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Quoted my post from last night with sizes added. Full measurements available upon request.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  2. amadar

amadar Senior member

Best find in a really long time, primarily because they are my size :slayer: I have been looking for a pair of black cap-toe balmorals for a while now, and was just about to give up and order a pair of AE Park Ave's.......until I stumbled across these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. Black Cap-toe Bal? - CHECK. 2. Great Condition? CHECK 3. AE? - Naw.... ALDEN - MEGA CHECK 4. Shell Cordovan? MEGA MEGA CHECK :D

1 person likes this.
  3. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

[​IMG] - I was on that same quest a while ago and gave in and got a pair of Park Aves on eBay.

4. catside

catside Senior member

I don't know but that is the brand of my first ever non navy blazer sport jacket, many many years ago bought from Harrods, a nice Harris tweed. It was an excellent jacket which served me well. Dunn and Co. used to be an expensive brand then.

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

Those are beautiful and in great shape. Congrats!

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Picked up a zegna silk/cotton shirt and pair of RRL chinos today.

Also got a made in Italy Bobby Jones polo, size L. Someone here was looking for them right? Available at cost if you plan to wear, solid dark burgundy, pics to come

Passed on some pretty cool Made in USA LL Bean duck boots and a HF navy pinstripe suit in 44R (middle age label, not recent, not ancient).

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

What size are the chinos? I've been on the lookout for some RRL chinos (or epaulet rivet chinos, but those don't show up in thrifts)

8. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I just got sniped AGAIN! I hate ebay. You guys use Gixen, right? Time to go over to the dark side, I guess.

I'll take solace in the fact that this Isaia silk/linen AAAC pickup is in the mail right now:

[​IMG]

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

30x32, grendel. Too small for me, that's for sure.

10. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

I use Baygenie and have had pretty good luck with it.

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

How about a third?

I've been holding this PRL for months and it seems that I won't be turning into a selling machine like you guys so someone make me an offer. I'm easy. I think the spots should come out with some TLC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've also got this Gieves & Hawkes DB by Hickey Freeman. I love it but my seamstress says "NO. Too big to alter."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PM for more measurements of either or both.

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

They'll fit me though! If the G-man takes a pass, get at me, bro!

13. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

This worth $25? Looked fairly new to me. Tag said 52 (42US?) so it won't fit me. Sorry for the crap pictures. It's more of a dark navy. I can go back if anyone wants it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, this is one of my favorite thrift purchases ever.
    [​IMG]

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Lookin good! Glad you could put it to good use!

I hope disgusting is a new slang term for the antonym like "sick".... :confused:

Roughly 31-32 years old. I'ts in amazing shape.

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

Too small for me, so all yours

16. ruben

ruben Senior member

Since there seems to be a number of experienced ebayers here I thought I might ask a couple questions....

-Is there an easier way to do international shipping? I takes ages. Take off from work, drive to the PO, wait in line, fill out the form (or have the form you print at home stamped) etc etc.

-I noticed someone above mentioning waiting for fall to list some tweeds, do most of you sell items by season? I found a handful of nice Harris Tweeds the other day I was going to put on ebay, but does it make that much more sense to wait?

17. Regg

Regg Senior member

This vintage era giorgio armani any decent or no? Stole the pic from an ebay auction but saw something similar in the wild today. I could have sworn it was wool + something synthetic but maybe I'm remembering something different...

[​IMG]

18. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

1. Yes, print you labels directly from ebay shipping. Then schedule the mailman to pick up the packages (for free) at your door. All you need is a scale, printer, and a front door.

2. I also have 30-40 harris tweeds waiting til fall. Generally get $50-60 for them in cooler weather. About $30-40 in the warm weather. So thats a potential $800-1200 increase for waiting.

19. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

But for international? Pretty sure they still have to stamp it?

20. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I do it (international) nearly everyday. It is digitally stamped when you print the label, all you have to do is sign it. Oh yeah, you need to pick up (or have delivered for free) some of the customs paper holding, self-adhesive envelopes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.