The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I never quite got this - can someone explain to me the obsession with grenadine? What is it about it that makes it so desired by everyone...not trying to [​IMG], I'm genuinely curious.

2. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's a solid, so it's very easy to match with patterned shirts and coats, and gives a serious, sophisticated look. It also has texture, which gives it surface interest. It's incredibly easy to wear. It's also relatively uncommon, so you can be basic without looking just like everyone else.

3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

4. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Totally fair answer, thanks! I guess I'll have to see one in person to *get it*. Guess I'm on the gernadine-want train for now as well.

5. mat135ta

mat135ta Senior member

Recent Zegna 80 cashmere/20 linen in EU52. I think I just need to have the sleeves shortened and waist redueced. I want to keep it for myself, unless there is an offer that I cannot resist :slayer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hit one of my secret stores one hour before it closes today and scored the following, all in my size and fits perfectly!

Two Correll & Co linen/silk/wool sportcoats in different color. They are made in US, and I remember there is some discussion about the maker for this tag of Correll & Co jackets in somewhere in StyleForum, but I cannot remember. Does anyone has some information about the maker?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Correll & Co pure cashmere sportcoat, made in Italy. Anyone recognize the maker?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Corneliani tuxedo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul Stuart pure camelhair sportcoat. I found two holes on the sleeves. I think I am going to return it to the store for store credit. But I can sell it for $30 shipped in case anyone want to have it rewoven.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two more Paul Stuart sportcoats. Do you guys think the lapels are way too wide?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally nice ties! I forgot to take the photo of a Ferragamo tie. The Santoni :)wow:) tie is a 7 fold.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I won't usually buy the Correll & Co and the Paul Stuart sportcoats, as they are not really special enough. But it is quite rare they they fit so nicely...

I left quite a few Correll & Co made by Hickey Freeman sportcoats in 44 to 48 and a few more RT Best Class ties. If anyone is interested I can proxy for near cost. Since I only had one hour, I just checked the ties and the jackets/suits. I will go there to check the rest of the store tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

6. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

There's a thrift store by my house that has a Bill Blass jacket hanging on a Sammy hanger.

That poor hanger, never even really had a chance.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

7. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

The shirt was wrinkled, but the fabric felt new and not yet washed so I don't think it was wear. I wish I would have taken a picture. It was as though someone went around the collar fold (leaf?) with a serrated knife 10-15 times, just enough to cut through the top layer of fabric. Even weirder was the fit though. I tried several times to figure out why it wasn't fitting right; one shoulder laid where it was supposed to, the other didn't.

That same jacket, but in an extra small, is now one of my grail items as well.

8. So(cal)Steezy

So(cal)Steezy Member

Oooo the Paul Stuart you may return is a 39R? I could be interested. What would it take to be rewoven you think? Price ballpark for such a process?

9. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Jackpot! One step closer to finding one of the bikes in my sig...

[​IMG]

8 jerseys, 1 Castelli rain vest

10. mat135ta

mat135ta Senior member

Yes, all of the jackets I posted exept the first Zegna are 39R, which fits me very well. Cost for reweave varies a lot. Some has reported success for $5 to $10 a hole in Chicago, if my memory serves. The price was what I paid plus shipping.

11. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Senior member

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Go into a mainline retailer and have a look at one. You'll understand. Just don't let it snag on a fingernail or something while you fondle it. (The tie!)

13. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Oh, meant to ask: I know Southwick, but I saw Northwick when thrifting last Sunday. Anyone familiar with this brand and can speak to its quality or history (where sold, etc)?

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Damn son! What are you after for the Drakes?

15. GHo

GHo Senior member

:fistbump:

WOW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.