The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catside

catside Senior member

Pics!!
    BTW trading is not impossible.

2. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Didn't mean to bust balls--I've been first in line, more than once. But I never drove two hours to do it...

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

We were out of town visiting family. Hit a couple of stores hard and fast Saturday. Added to Friday's decent haul, but mostly with stuff for me (read: not cool enough to post). I do, however, have some label advice to ask. First up: This Alan Flusser tweed. Based on research and intuition, this seems older to me. I know he started as a RTW shop, but this has no tag in it (other than the "dry clean" and "union" tag. Any help? Late 70's? Older? Younger? (BTW, thing's sweet: Double vented, ticket pocket, nice waist suppression, phenomenal 3-roll-2, stretched leather buttons... Tad form-fitting on me, but I'm really loathe to part with it)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Second: At the risk of sullying this thread with mere PRL, these are older tags, and one has "Made in USA" on it. Both retain their original "heft," not having been pressed. Grabbed them because they were near as makes no difference to free. Is the quality of this older stuff any better than the current PRL?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Oh, and here are pics of the T&A shirt from Friday, plus an E. Zegna shirt and a pair of Zanella flat front (i.e., 2-pleat) light brown herringbones I picked up this weekend. The latter two are available (the first is a bit frayed in parts, so I wouldn't be comfortable selling).
    T&A: ~17 x ~35 [​IMG] Zegna tagged 16 x 41 [​IMG] Zanella: 36.5 x 31 [​IMG]

4. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:

Guess, pre-1989 but we will be able to tell the vintage of the Alan Flusser by the union tags, so pictures of those will help. As far as the Polo ties, I can't comment on the quality of the old vs. new but I can say that the one on the left (linen) doesn't appear to be very old at all. It looks like a couple of ties that I purchased from the discount outlet within the last couple of years.

5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Well, here's the best I can do on the union tag. Smudged to high hell.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. tben

tben Senior member

Hm, my guess is post 1976, pre-1989. I would like to see what others think as well because I am no expert and am also curious.

7. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

So is there a site somewhere with the information required to date garments from the union tags? That sounds like something I should bookmark.

8. tben

tben Senior member

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Theres always Foxwoods!

10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

this was more about escaping from the house for a bit -- only regret is that the bike is still in storage, heh. I probably would have ridden to the ocean and skipped thrifting had I rolled her out and it were a little warmer at sunrise...

Looking right, I've googled other pictures and descriptions and although I don't have time for pix I think you're correct. Tongue and Heel seem both right. Although I have not seen any pix of exec imperials with that "Walk of life" text I can barely make out...wearing today. They are very comfortable. They're D width, which is narrower than florsheim D. I never see 9Cs, which is Florsheim did make those and I could find them they'd be ideal for me because B is a little snug and in their Ds I have to wear thicker cotton socks...these are ideal with regular thin dress socks. That is a long way of saying I don't think they are FLorsheims. And they have O'Sullivan heels. MEaning, they walk like a duck...

Welcome, new (and veteran) UK posters. We're taking over the world! Jealous of your finds...I've traded with one of our Scandinavian friends...and yes, the postage killed us, so we only did that once.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

11. GHo

GHo Senior member

Nice. I stopped by our Marshalls last week and found a Vineyard Vines tie for $12.99. Jackpot. Also picked up a Polo Golf Purple (Lilac?) Cableknit sweater in 100% silk. Soft. Only $30. Not too shabby.

12. GHo

GHo Senior member

welcome. nice finds!

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Check out these crazy 5" lapels. Can a tailor reduce the size of these?

[​IMG]

14. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Someone posted a couple weeks ago that they wanted to punch Ron Chereskin in the face.

Hah, I thought at the time and moved on.

Yet this post keeps coming to mind -- I can't get rid of it -- when I'm in thrifts now, and I keep identifying others I'd like to punch as well: Perry Ellis (for clogging up the suit rack), Mr Chaps (for teasing me with details like the occasional pick stitching on lapels) and his cousin Mr. University Club (for suckering too many college kids into buying their junk), Liz Claiborne (for hurting my eyes with her fabrics in the pants rack), Andrew Fezza (see Perry Ellis), and whoever Mr Stafford :fu: is.

For Joseph Abboud, punching would be letting him off easy. For what? Tempting us with decent looking fabrics but having it, apparently, assembled by people using broken sewing machines. Or perhaps machetes and thread, instead of needles.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Savane makes me [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] every time for having a waistband too similar to Zanella.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.