The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY!!!!!! Found the Marshalls by me that gets all the good stuff.

OK, well that has to lead to something good right....hmmmm. Well, FYI, it always pays to ask how much something is when there is NO TAG! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

What is this!? I must know!

3. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    +1

4. Brianpore

5. vexco

vexco Senior member

ok i need a little help identifying something...

found a really nice Navy SC...double-vented, working cuffs but no tags except for these:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

in the last picture it just says "100% wool Made in Canada"...it's very well-made but it has me stumped.

6. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

ooooh, now I just want to know more!

7. TDP

TDP Senior member

Here is a buttery, tasty little find: navy, dot-stripe Gianluca Isaia SB suit 40R, Drop 8, with subtle white dot-stripe. The hand of the coat is buttery and fluffy, the shoulders natural and unpadded, made in Italy. Wearing it to work feels like wearing pajamas in public, wonderful, Neapolitan, tailored pajamas, God's pajamas. ;)!

Shoulders: 19"
    Chest: 21.5"
    Sleeves: 25"+2"
    No. of vents: 2
    Composition: Cashmere 3%, Wool 97%
    Back of collar to end of skirt: 30.75"

Waist: 34"
    Inseam: 30"
    Suspender buttons

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Brianpore

Nice find!!! Just wondering (not interested as it's not my size), but you wear it to work, but list all the necessary measurements to sell it...is it available or your just teasing everyone?

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

...Wow! Score!! :slayer: You're right about the no tag thing. I think someone posted a few years back about being at either Daffy's or C21 and found a Kiton cashmere sportcoat with no tag. They priced it at the "Generic sportcoat price" of something like $100.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I know talking prices is a bit taboo on this thread. But I found some nice Charvet ties for $50 each, and some Isaia seven folds for $70 each new. Just wanted to know if this was a good price before I picked them up for myself. Thanks.

11. ocooney

ocooney Senior member

So I went back to the Goodwill where I found the pants I posted on previously. Apparently they hadn't put out everything. Found the following cotton pants:

Barbera, Kiton (w/12% cashmere), Belvest moleskin, and no label, but construction and mfg tag the same as the Belvest.

[​IMG]

I also left about 3 pairs of Incotex that were beat up and a few quality pieces that had no labels but were slightly damaged.

I've found a 100% vicuna coat before, NWT RLPL, Oxxford but to have about 20 pairs of pants of this quality from the same donor is mindblowing to me. Likely a dead guy, but still. And even weirder is that there was nothing else of the same quality in terms of shirts, ties or coats.

Will offer first to those who PM'd about the previous bunch but will be out of town after tomorrow and unable to respond.

O

12. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    Can't see that happening in C21, it is like a prison that sells clothes.

13. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Found these 3 over the week. Barbera MOP-15-38, Armani Collezioni, MOP-16-41 (just barely doesn't fit, 2nd neck button too tight), TM Lewin 15- 34 french cuff. available to trade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. TDP

TDP Senior member

Thank you, Brianpore! It is, actually, available, I am just trying to push the reader into imagining how wonderful it would be to go to work in cashmere pajamas, but it seems that wasn't very clear :).

I also found a pink-stripey, fruity Rubinacci shirt with MOP buttons and swallow-tailed cuffs. It's also available :).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. LOUNGELIZARD

LOUNGELIZARD Member

Hi, everyone. Just joined the forum today. I've got to say that two weeks ago I was unaware that brioni, aquascutum, hackett, dunhill, gieves and hawkes even existed. Then one day I came across a Paul Smith suit in a local charity shop and was so impressed that i purchased it for £8. When I looked it up on Google that was it. I went back to the charity shops with a list compiled of the most expensive suits for sale on ebay and picked up a vintage giorgio armani suit for £7.50, a double breasted aquascutum for £10, a Hugo Boss Einstein Sigma for £10, a Gieves and Hawkes dinner jacket for £6, a Chester Barrie / Saks 5th avenue jacket for £1, a luxurious Dunhill overcoat for £6, etc etc. It's unreal. The shops have no idea. Most of the customers have no idea. Actually, Oxfam does realise and prices accordingly.

I now have a room full of suits and jackets. I sit there gobstruck by the quality of the items. I purchased the Dunhill yesterday and I am amazed by it. It's wool but it hangs like silk and the stitching is just a work of art. Yesterday I also got a Brook Taverner overcoat for £4 which looks like new and a Brioni coat for £12. Which is how I ended up here. I was trying to find out the value of the Brioni. the label says "Specially tailored by Brioni for Park Lane Collection London" Is this still a Brioni or a watered down version? And any idea on a price? [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.