The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow. All the non french cuff T&A shirts I've found were 3 button cuff. Seems to be an English trend as I have some Timothy Everest and Richard James shirts that also have 3 button cuffs.

I've had some wild checkered/striped T&A shirts. Never could get over $50 for them. One was even NWOT and super recent. You're a lucky man if you milked out $100+ on one.

Almost struck out today. Hit one last store. Local and rarely has anything of any value. To my surprise I found this Z-Zegna herringbone overcoat hanging with the suits. The weight is a little heavier than a suit-jacket. Pretty cool. Tagged a 46 but fits like a 44. (Available).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

Roger. Cotton goes without saying; split yoke I understand; will note need for pocket.

3. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

Found a couple pants worth grabbing, which is rare around here. The pants sections may as well be Banana Republic satellite stores.

Armani Collezioni tagged 48/32
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ermengildo Zegna navy blue striped pants tagged 52 / cm46
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course for myself I had to settle for a pair of black Helmut Lang women's pants, which are the first thrift store pants I've ever found that fit me.

Ties:
    [​IMG]

4. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

No doubt, I had a NWT T&A that I only got $60 out of. It was in a very desirable size and had absolutely no flaws, not even a strike through on the tag. $100 seems insane to get for a used/tagless $155 MSRP shirt.

5. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is the perfect post for the brag thread..a bunch of atypical, wearable thrift finds in my size that I WANT. Not some 20" collar shirts for giants or triple pleated pants in 24" inseams. Good day sir. If you ever want to get rid of those club collar shirts, hit me up. I wish I been had Patrik Ervell-style club collar shirts.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Very true, but retail is way more than that. Retail is around $325-$350.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  7. wcl

wcl Senior member

What can I say? If you get a couple of bidders fighting over an item, sometimes you get lucky.

8. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

sorry, had to do this:

[​IMG]

9. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ I laughed out loud when I read this! In the last year, I've found exactly 3 club collar shirts in my size (1 BB luxury shirt, 1 vintage Ralph Lauren Blue Label made of 100% Sea Island cotton, and 1 current Polo by Ralph Lauren white contrast collar on a blue oxford cloth body). Two of which were today. In any case, I don't think I need any more than that and if / when I find another one, you will be the first to know.

Good day sir! -M-

10. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

What's up suckers...Palm Beach? BEEN HAD. Lapels as wide as my head? Damn right. Loud? You betcha.

Yes, this is really my size, and yes I really bought this today. I will find some occasion on which to wear it. Don't hate.

Spoiler'd for the sartorially queasy.

[​IMG]

EDIT:

Also have a slightly more serious question. Anyone ever heard of either "Glenloch mills" or "Lord Nelson" (brand??). I found this jacket that fits me perfectly and I really like the houndstooth pattern. It has hand sewn lapels and seems generally relatively well made (yes, I realize one sleeve is missing 2 buttons, but the other has 3 so I'm just going to move one over and rock it with 2 sleeve buttons). Any info?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Daffy's. There's a poster here that has a thread and a blog of some stuff that Daffy's gets that's pretty high end stuff, mostly italian if I remember correctly. It's kinda hit or miss, but maybe you can luck out.

Did a quick stop and was really excited to find the following flat front zanellas. My size, from saks, the tag was still crispy paper like, really in mint condtion.

[​IMG]

As I tried them on at home I find 3 small holes, but holes nonetheless. :

[​IMG]

Arghhh! :brick:

On the BACK of the bottom leg. Maybe I can still wear them at night...Nah.

What's the cost for a reweaver again?

12. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

First day back after a long break:

Samuelsohn suit, wool/silk, 39-33

Pants
    Nwt pal zileri 36
    2 x gianluca isaia aquaspider 36
    Canali 34
    Zanella plat 36
    Zanella plat 44, flat front, split waistband

13. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I don't know if it would even be worth it to re-weave worsted wool pants 'cuz 90% sure it'll show and won't look good. I only have luck re-weaving sweaters and even then the only time it looks 100% is when the pattern is a solid or at the very least heathered solid. I pay $10 / hole, but have gotten away with $5 / hole if the holes are small. There's some Russians who do a great job in Cambridge, MA if you're in the Boston / Cambridge / Somerville area.

14. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

Heading to one of the J.Crew warehouse stores tomorrow - anyone want me to look out for anything specific. I won't get there until mid-afternoon unfortunately - so the stock will be limited most likely

15. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

I found my first decent Canali suit the other day. Fit nicely... only to find this when i got home >,<

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.