The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amadar

amadar Senior member

Wait, thats what it means?......3 buttons? I have a T & A shirt with 3 buttons on the cuffs! Now, what did you mean by "something crazy?"

2. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Picked up a pair of what looks to be bespoke shoes made by Foster and Son. Does anyone have any information on them?

3. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

4. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

Included in the spoiler isnt an item to brag about - the are a pair of thick wool trousers that vv tagged as 36x32 but are realistically between 30-32 in the waist. They were going to make some great golf pants for tomorrow. They are pristine condition and only have a Lord & Taylor tag on them. Again, don't judge because they aren't Zanella etc -- but I am just trying to pass them on to a better sized home.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. wcl

wcl Senior member

Well, it was probably 5 year ago. I think it was something north of $100. The one I had was one of their crazy stripes, which I think helped.

6. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Hi all. I went to one place and came up with:

1x Canali Proposta lightweight black blazer with 3 patch pockets. EUR 52 L / US 42 L. I bought it because it still had a full set of smoked MOP jacket buttons that I wanted to put on a Ermenegildo Zegna 15 mil mil navy blue blazer that I had tailored to fit me from a couple of months ago. (The Canali Proposta is partially worn-through on the elbows, but otherwise workable - it might look good with some black leather elbow patches?)

The rest:

1x APC navy blue sweater. APC sz. 1. (for me.)

1x Brooks Brothers luxury shirt with CLUB COLLAR. 15 1/2 - 34. (for me.)

1x Vintage Ralph Lauren Blue Label (looks purple, but blue) 100% Sea Island cotton shirt also with CLUB COLLAR. 15 1/2 - 35. (also for me.)

1x Miu Miu made in Italy brown dress shirt. 41 / 16.

1x Paul Stuart navy blue sweater. Size L. (It has a small hole, but I'm going to take it to the Russian re-weavers across the river in Cambridge, so it'll be as good as new in a week, lol.)

1x J. Press gray flannel suit. 44 R.

1x J. Press tweed jacket. 44 R.

1x Andover Shop custom made plaid wool blazer - this thing is the tits. 44 R.

and a handful of vintage ties (BB, et al).

I don't suppose anyone out there has 2-3 extra smoke colored size 24 ligne sleeve cuff buttons? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks! -M-

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I have upped my black shirt count to 3!

... at a V.V. not known for having much in the way of smalls. It's like the thrift gods know of my need. ;)
    [​IMG]

...which I will be sporting poolside during this year's 'away' vacay to an all inclusive resort in Puerto Rico in May. I paid $20 but they're brand new never worn (you can tell with these things) and retail for $60ish so I'm cool with it.
    [​IMG]

Such is the extent of my thrifting. I am reduced to finding cheap crap for even cheaper prices just so I can keep my job. :(

[​IMG]

8. catside

catside Senior member

Dig, What is your shirt size dude?

9. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

I'm leaving Sunday for a quick vacation to NYC. I'll be there until Friday (staying in Manhattan), and I plan to do a little shopping. I've got a bunch of Manhattan thrift stores all mapped out and ready to go. I'm also planning to visit Uniqlo while I'm there. Any other stores that I should be sure to visit?

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I've always understood "double barrel" to mean barrel cu. These were barrel cuffs with 3 buttonds. Apologies if I'm mixed up on my terminology.

Edit: DAMN BLACKBERRY! I meant: I've always understood "double barrel" to mean a cuff with two buttons. This cuff had 3 buttons. Hence, triple barrel. Again, apologies if my terminology was incorrect. (What should I be calling this?)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

It depends on the cut. I look for button down collars in 15/33-ish but spread collars in 15.5 to 16/33. Me likey snug at the waist. Whatcha got?

12. catside

catside Senior member

Will start looking for you too pal. You never know.

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

You guys are awesome.

14. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

There's always a big rack of black shirts at my local. Nothing eye-popping last time, but if I can snag a Banana Republic or J. Crew or something (those come through regularly) for two or three bucks, are you interested?

15. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Yes but not to sound picky, I prefer 100% cotton with a split yoke. Semi spread or button collar points. MUST have a pocket. I need a place to stash the reading glasses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.