The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grendel

grendel Senior member

24.5" sleeve? Yes, me! I don't have a Samuelsohn yet, but I examined one at an atelier and it was excellent. More info?

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

What size are the Royal Tweed? That's Church's / Cheaney right? Dibs on 10-10.5 [​IMG]

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oh, ok I thought he was talking Waist and Inseam,[​IMG]

4. wcl

wcl Senior member

Close, but no cigar. 9.5.

5. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

UK or US?

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

He may have been... In which case they came from an extraordinarily short and round man.

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

And me.

8. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

That made me laugh out loud!

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

10. vexco

vexco Senior member

Had fun today visiting stores I'd never been to before...and a Goodwill clearance center. Holy shit I could spend all day in there and not see everything.

Pants...from left to right

Southwick: 18.25" waist x 30" inseam, 40.5" outseam and 1.5" cuff. Double-pleat.

Zanella: 36x30 with a 1.5" cuff and 42" outseam. Double-pleat.

Canali: 16" waist x 30" inseam. 1.5" cuff and 40.5" outseam. Double-pleat.

Loro Piana: 18" waist x 34" inseam. 1.25" cuff and 44" outseam. Flat-front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And two Harris Tweeds in the exact same color in the exact same herringbone pattern...made by two different companies? weird

First one is around a 41-42R, double-vented and full-lined...shit is awesome. Tagged "Cheval by Castletex".

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Second one is only single vented and half-lined...made in the USA. Much bigger than the first...I'd say around 44-46R.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

All available except maybe the Loro Piana pants but if you really want em I'll at least consider it!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I've seen things today, gentlemen. Horrible, grisly, depraved things. If you have the guts, take a look -- but be warned: Once you see, you can't un-see.
    [​IMG][​IMG] That's seven - SEVEN - Hickey Freeman Bespoke orphan jackets. IN MY SIZE. I tore $hit apart looking for those trousers. NOT A ONE. Anywhere. And they only came in 2 weeks ago. The trousers must have ended up at a different GW, and I don't have the time to start hunting around to find them. :cry: Just add a kick in the nuts: At the end of that row there is an older Paul Stuart Made in Canada (presumably by Samuelsohn, but it was pretty old) 3 piece orphan (jacket and vest; no trousers) AND another Paul Stuart/Samuelsohn in a beautiful solid blue/semi nailhead. ORPHAN. If this show was a Broadway musical, it would be a mix between Annie and the Pirates of Penzance (all of the Pirates were orphans, you see).
    My disgust was only barely overcome by what I was able to pick up. To save snarky comments, I will keep under my hat the low-grade, if cool (in my view) things I found and tarnish this thread only with the few items that are even potentially brag-worthy (though that standard seems to be non-universal, somewhat chimeric, and in some instances just about unachievable). (N.B.: Pic quality worse than usual)
    Paul Stuart made in Canada (Samuelsohn) SC, my size (tagged 42R) but it's awfully slim and a tad short for my taste, so possibly available. PM with interest. [​IMG] Paul Stuart tan flat front wool trousers. 40x32. Definitely reverse orphans, but I've needed these for a while so they're MINE! (unless they can't be tailored down, in which case....) [​IMG] Paul Stuart (No made in tag; possibly made in Canada by Samuelsohn) green trousers in the tweed family (herringbone with windowpane overlay). Possible reverse orphans (See above) but that'd be an awfully loud suit. [​IMG] (no pic) ANCIENT Turnbull & Asser striped shirt; not at all pristine condition, but could be decent summer SW&D. Hell, real MOP buttons alone pay for the shirt. But here's the thing: TRIPLE barrel cuffs. That's a first for me. Finally (and I realize this is seriously borderline): J. Press corduroy blazer, patch pockets. Good condition. My size (42Rish). Likely not available. PM for interest/pic.
    Oh, and take a look at those Alden and Gravati Hand Made shoes I picked up -- after:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Once those Aldens are resoled, they're going to make some lucky 8.5 C/E a lucky man.

12. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I should have been clearer. I was quickly typing that on my phone because I was a few minutes late to a doctor's appointment. Those were pants measurements. Scary. I don't run across much quality stuff here, especially pants, so those were a shock to see. Four pairs, all in great condition, just a funky size.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

They could potentially make some nice golf nickers

[​IMG]

14. amadar

amadar Senior member

What does this mean? I only know of barrel (single) cuffs and french (double) cuffs. Are you suggesting you found a shirt with triple-single cuffs? :puzzled:

In all seriousness though, I want to know what the hell you found.

15. wcl

wcl Senior member

Picked up a T&A with trip buttons on the cuff years ago. Sold it for something crazy on ebay. :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.