The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    Sent him a PM, they aren't available. [​IMG]

2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

:brick::facepalm::fu::cloud::butbut::uhoh::cry:

:deadhorse:

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Thrift fit! Doing my best upr_crust impression today.

Suit: Vintage Brooks Bros "346" 3/2 three piece suit (from circa 1970s, back when 346 was actually a good line). This thing is BALL-ER. Flannel, super heavy and ridiculously soft. Elegant. I don't typically have trad inclinations, but this thing rules. The vest may be too short - I honestly don't know, as this is the first three piece I've ever owned - but everything else about it feels like it fits right.
    Shirt: Brooks Bros slim fit
    Tie: Ben Silver
    Shoes: Allen Edmonds Park Avenue

100% thrifted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

4. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

^^ Great suit, AndroFan! I have a few Brooks Brothers 346 flannel suits from that same era, including a three piece, and they are among my favorites.

5. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I stopped in Marshall's today just to see if any Kiton suits had been marked down to $200. Not found.

A thought occurred to me while I was there, however. When you come across a tie or shirt by Donald Trump, do you immediately think of Man of Lint?

6. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

damn - the middle right ones were calling out to me.... among others! someone jumped on that quickly then.

7. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

hahahahah the other day I saw a picture of Donald Trump, and thought to myself, "Hey it's Man of Lint!"

8. ocooney

ocooney Senior member

True enough.
    I got 8 or 9 PMs within about 30 minutes of posting.
    Between them, I figured the pants would all be taken so I was trying to work trades/sales and be equitable to those who responded in order.
    But I did try to respond to all who messaged. Sorry if I missed you.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to be fair to those looking to trade/buy without simply opening it up to the highest bidder, else they'd go straight to the bay.

Thanks,
    O

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

Great fit! The lapels might be getting a little wide, but your shoulders are pretty wide too. The waistcoat is not at all too short. Looks just right.

10. catside

catside Senior member

^Hey Andro,
    What's wrong with right shoulder? Invest in a steam Rowenta and some linen ironing cloth dude.

11. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

One store today.... it went, shall we say, well. This is why we thrift. ^^;

All available.

NWT Bills Khakis jeans size 38:
    [​IMG]

vintage Harris Tweed interesting pattern - untagged for size, but pit to pit is 24. 3 roll 2:
    [​IMG]

Chester Barrie for Barneys suit, size 40 - only downside: unvented & pleated. It is, however, available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm a little :FU: right now because I also had a Pal Zileri jacket, tweed-ish feeling, that was wool & silk and about my size - and I laid it down for a minute and managed to COMPLETELY FORGET TO BUY IT - nobody else took it, it's probably still there on the rack where I laid it, I just didn't take it to the register. :brick: It was only like 3 bucks, too.

There was also an unvented Zegna suit, which I didn't get because they wanted $30 for it - I may be proxying it for someone, but if he backs out I'd be happy to proxy at cost+ship for someone else. :) Size 54 IT (or was it 56?) hrmm.

Anyway, shirts & sweaters were 100% bare, and the color indicates this was put out last week, so I'm wondering if one of you other guys beat me there to some stuff? ;) ick578 do tell more about that suit you found! :)

12. wcl

wcl Senior member

Went to one of my every other time stops today and it was packed. All of the clothes were a quarter. Place was pretty much cleaned out, but lots of suits left. And there were two awesome Yale Co-op suits dated from the late 60's I think. Problem is I had no cash on me. :fu: None. And it was a $5 minimum CC purchase. I ransacked my car and managed to find .09 cents :violin: . Ah well.

At another stop I did find some Royal Tweed Custom grade captoes and some awesome Polo braces in what feels like a calvary twill.

13. catside

catside Senior member

Yale coop used a variety of makers, some of them sucked. Not a big loss unless you have an emotional connection to GCY.

14. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Any 42x24.5's out there? Just saw some gorgeous Samuelsohn flannels. I was heartbroken to see a Golden Fleece navy blazer riddled with moth holes. Put it back next to the Andover Shop blazer in the same condition.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Samuelsohn makes capris now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.