The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

Public thanks/shout out to LastDonB. I wound up winning an auction for a long coat he mentioned a few dozen pages ago. The thing's totally boss, and you got it here like right away. Thanks!

2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

New here to the forum, but certainly not to picking the thrift store apart...

I've been shopping for new clothes a lot lately because I've lost enough weight to go from almost an XL to a comfortable medium (and from 36 down to 32 in pant sizes!).

Some of the brighter scores I've found lately:

Versace Silk Tie -$2
    Hugo Boss Silk Tie -$2
    Nat Nast Maverick Jeans -$4
    Earnest Sewn Jeans -$6
    Lucky Dungaress -$5
    All the Quicksilver and Billabong button-up shirts I could ask for (I only took what I needed!) -~$4 each
    Patagonia Synchilla Fleece jacket -$5
    Bicyclng Bib-shorts -$8 each (3 -and I was about to go out and by three more pairs at retail!!!)

Burberrys Suit (coat and slacks), in my size... A bit much at $99, but it fits so well!!

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

DIBS! [​IMG] (are the 46 US or IT)?

+1

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

[​IMG]

5. wcl

wcl Senior member

One quick stop today yielded nothing. I did pass on the oh-so-rare JAZ by Joseph Abboud sportcoat. It was a great big MEH.....

And hey, no love for COLECOVISION?? I am pretty sure mine still works! :slayer: I must have rolled over Donkey Kong Jr. a thousand times on that thing. Oh, wait. Did I just date myself? :embar:

6. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I left a comment but thought it might be too far back to check so... By all means, find an alterations shop in a clothing store and have the legs tapered. I'd go for a bit less break but that's a bit of a bolder move that you may not be ready to make. As I've said before, i use the same woman for almost all of my lighter duty alterations. She works in the alterations department of the local K&G clothing superstore. They keep trying to get me to sign up for their loyalty card but I never purchase anything they have to sell! :lol: Be careful with the pocket square. Let it "whisper" a suggestion of your tie instead of being such a close match. I can't see the material but I subscribe to Spoo's theory of "slubiness". Shiny tie=slubby (flatter finish) square (ex: silk tie/linen square) Slubby tie= shiny square. (ex: wool tie/silk square) I may not have it quite right but that's my understanding of the concept. Also, Spoo has broken me of the habit of loafers w/suit although I understand you were working the theme in this fit. Overall very presentable. Post more pics. I'm so lonely now. :laugh:

7. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

another one forever stuck in my head: A,B,A,C,A,B,B (hint not NES, Klobber may know this one...)

You could try stretching them, or take to a cobbler to have them stretched? Heard about it, never tried it though.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Oh, 30, 32-ish, depending on cut. [​IMG]

9. applky

applky Senior member

!

Is this available? Dibs if it fits!

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

How the heck was this 100% passed over? RLPL overcoat? Even in that shape? Daaaayum. Make it a couple sizes bigger and ship it to me! :nod:
    Talk about amazing first posts... wow.
    edit to say something useful: the damage can be fixed, the damage does badly hurt the value of the coat but it's a great candidate for someone to fix up and wear. I might be interested in measurements, actually, for possible wear not as an overcoat but a casualwear coat, depending how generous the sizing is.

Maybe interested in all of the above depending on 1) photos of the tie & tag, 2) pit to pit on that sport coat, and 3) how much filthy lucre you want for that briefcase - I've been looking for something like that for ~2 years and never seen anything like it! Pics! :D

Uh, that one 100% Silk label wouldn't be on a Hermes... I suppose a store or American distributor could have sewn it on, I've seen labels like that a few times - including a store label that did say 100% silk. Such ties are almost invariably pretty old. Check for the loops, etc, and other tells... there's an ebay guide that's pretty good at this, but do keep in mind that older labels do vary more than some of the guides would have you believe. More & better pics, please!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

+1.

I got busy elsewhere and hadn't got back to quote it.

12. GHo

GHo Senior member

[​IMG]

13. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Will...that coat is too small for you. I think its closer to my size to take a chance on :)

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Probably got hung up in review and none of us went back.

This is a very, very nice coat, and most of that stuff can be fixed. But before you make it any bigger, just send it to me. I'll take care of the rest! If you're interested in parting with it, PM me -- 'cause that been had my size!

15. amadar

amadar Senior member

This seller is a fairly regular poster on this thread....you guys should have tried to work something out......o well nice pick up regardless :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.