The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I would seriously own all of you with Pikachu or Yoshi in Smash Bros.

Mr. Game n Watch if we're playing the Wii version, which is far superior in my opinion.

Also, got packages from Nataku and GMMcl today...they been had Tyvek envelopes. They make me look like an amateur, wrapping my items in butcher paper or even simply stuffing them in the box all together. Great sellers/traders and shippers!

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Oh hell, that is the best gaming system ever. I had a Genesis, swapped that for a Super Nintendo, and then swapped that for a PC Engine (same thing as TurboGrafx I think). Even as a kid, I was trading shit. But yeah, the PC Engine was awesome. I ended up swapping the PC Engine back for a Super Nintendo when I saw that game Metroid and Donkey Kong. LOL. Those were the days.

Yeah, there were some good games but out of around 20/30 I owned, only around 5 or so were any good :laugh:.

Golden Eye was f**king mint - in two player, best video game fun I ever had. Perfect Dark was a brilliant game, as was Majora's Mask. I also thought Ocarina of Time was good. My favorite game on the N64 was Shadowman.

Once I had a souped up PC and Half Life came along, I kinda ducked out the console gaming.

You must be talented to take on as difficult a game as Contra and not lose a single life. Take that skill and try Battletoads or Silver Surfer - those games were impossible. The only Contra game I actually completed was that one on the super nintendo.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

3. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

[​IMG]

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

5. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

You all have just made me go see if I can find GoldenEye for the Wii. I wanna play that game now.

Ooh hey look, eBay is looking out for me. Score.

6. tben

tben Senior member

7. zwatson

zwatson Member

Was able to pick up a pair of black Burberry London jeans at one of their outlet stores for $49 a while back, love the jeans and have stopped at the store a few times since, but haven't come close to finding anything close to that big of a discount since..

8. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Very nice bike!

The Treks are great, but I kind of count on name recognition aat the GW to kill value. EVERYONE knows about Trek, and everyone that doesn't know anything thinks it's the epitome of bike companies. If anyone can find one with Reynolds tubing that isn't over about $30, I'd take that thing all day. I'd make it my daily so I wouldn't be too upset if it were stolen, like I would if I rode my Turner everywhere.

I'm still hoping I run across an old, beaten Brooks saddle for a few dollars I can bring back to life.

Thanks for the shout out, man! It was a pleasure dealing with you as well. I will throw any other Michael Phelps' sleeve length coats your way in the future. :)

It's unlikely, yes, but few things are impossible. Some people in this thread have amazing luck, and might pass by these bikes without ever knowing. (By the way, if you ever find an old Brooks saddle, something around a B17 or similar shape, and just want to get rid of it quickly, keep me in mind.)

The owners certainly do know what they have, and probably would never donate, but I ride with some owners of bikes this calibre that are rather old. I know there are children of these types of riders out there that wouldn't be able to distinguish a Colnago from a Columbia, and they might just donate them along with the rare, old books they donate that I've found. (read: Catcher in the Rye 1st ed) There is always a chance, and I want to be the first one to have called dibs if that happens. :)

I do hit them up every once in a while. Unfortunately, haven't had luck there yet. I have had pretty good luck on craigslist - found the Pinarello for a song I mentioned earlier. Haven't had much luck lately, though. Lots of people with Trek Y-frames and the like asking $2000+

These are quite nice. I hope they haven't been claimed yet. I will PM you momentarily. Ever since I bought myself Danner Mountain Light IIs, my father has been on the quest for a new pair of boots. I think he'd like these. (Not a line - these are seriously for my father.)

So, on to today's thrifting adventure...

I spent today on a family outing. We used to go thrifting together often, and haven't in a while, so it was nice to do it again.

The first Swapper Jack's--I mean, Trader Joe's--finally opened in Florida, and we did quite a long day trip to go check it out. It's my mother's favorite grocery store, and nothing else in Florida can really match it--at least, in the area in which we live. This also provided new territory to thrift.

Let's just say it started off slow and frustrating. A few stores and nothing more than Chemise Lacoste re-issue polo and Maus & Hoffman house branded linen shirt--both of which I left behind due to condition--to pique my interests.

We head to the third or forth place, and my father calls my attention almost immediately over to a corner. HOLY FUCKING SHIT A KRELL AMPLIFIER AND CANTON SPEAKERS! I about ejaculated all over myself.

Until... There as no price. "Oh fucking shit," I said to myself. "I bet it's store owned."

It was indeed. I inquired to an incredibly rude cashier about it, and he wouldn't budge on the NFS stats even after I offered him $1000 cash. "Come on, everything has a price, man!" I urged him. Alas, to no avail.

So I delved deeper into the catacombs of this store, the possibility that this equipment would not be leaving with me haunting my thoughts. I found another employee, asked for a manager, was greeted again as if I were only being a nuisance, and waved off as a King would wave off a begging peasant.

I left, dejected, frustrated, livid--a veritable cornucopia of emotions. What a fucking waste of good equipment: playing 128khz bitrate files should count as blasphemy - this in a church-owned store to boot. So it goes...

Luckily, the day was infinitely better afterwards. Rather than clog up the thread with more crappy pictures, I'll wait until daylight to take some good ones. I do believe, though, that after tomorrow I will join Klobber in only posting items I will keep. I will start a blog of the other items, and link that blog in my signature. Feel free to contact me through the forum to get this stuff at discount or trade, before I list it on B&S and/or eBay after a few days.

A lot of the thrift stores today were good, but many very highly priced. I paid a lot more for a few items than I normally would have, but they were mostly worth it I think. Some of the items I bought with members in mind, so they get first dibs. Klobber - some good shit coming your way, brosef goebbels.

Enough blabbing. The list of today's pillaging:

BNWT BBGF silk tie
    Silk satin texture navy blue Polo tie
    The HOLY GRAIL of 80s Dior ties - HAD to buy it
    Caruso sport coat - 42
    HF navy blue blazer - 36S
    Zegna navy blue blazer - 46
    a&f vintage (the good stuff) trench (missing the zippable wool liner) - 40L
    Gitman bros cotton plaid casual shirt MOP buttons - L
    English made BB white/blue striped shirt - 16.5
    Sicknasty Oxxford raw silk charcoal grey suit - 42
    Oxxford sport coat MOP buttons - 46
    English made Brooks Brothers small briefcase :slayer:
    Barrie LTD. black wingtips (I think Cheaney) - around 11-11.5
    Beautiful condition Florsheim Imperial shells - 10 (seriously about millimeters too small :fu:)
    Practically new Callaway golf bag for $7, definitely keeping this

9. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

interesting...

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Glad that stuff found a good home. Enjoy! :)

Also, you can't have/use enough tyvek envelopes - they are free ya know!

Wow, and to think someone actually donated that stuff is mind- blowing! I never, ever, ever find nice (high-end) stereo equipment. That's pretty sad. You might want to call and ask to directly speak to a manager. Do what you can to talk to them. Maybe even offer them a trade plus cash so they don't get left without music for the store. I wouldn't let this find go so easily. That's a once-in-a-lifetime score right there if it works out.

11. w00tah

w00tah Well-Known Member

The new emulators allow you to play NES over the net with friends. Many nights were spent playing TMNT, NBA Jam, Battletoads, and Double Dragon with childhood friends during high school and college.

12. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

I know - seriously! But I'm already ahead of you. I schemed the entire 3.5 hour drive home on different ways to approach this. I think I am going call tomorrow and ask for the store owner/manager/district manager/dictator. I am not going to let these go without a fight. They'll have to block my number and the numbers of everyone I know to stop me if it comes to it. It's too bad I got rid of most of my superfluous stereo equipment. I had a lower end pair of B&W speakers I'd have given them. Found those in thrift, actually. The only speakers I have left are my Focals and some raw ScanSpeak drivers for an upcoming project. Honestly, I just really want the amplifier. Realistically owning an amp of that caliber is not in my near future unless I get this.

If they want to sell as a set, though, I would not hesitate to pounce. But, I will offer them whatever it takes. Even if I have to go out and buy something or buy something from a buddy to replace it.

At this point, the best audio thrift I've gotten is a Luxman CD player.

13. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Awesome! I hope it works out. Keep us updated!

The seller is a member on here. Great guy. :thumbs-up:

Think of it as more money you can put towards a beautiful pair of shoes on the bay. ;)

15. JChance

JChance Senior member

ran across this skinny (~3" width) tie of Hermes and a few others, could someone please help me authenticate this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also picked up a Like-New Brooks Brothers 1818 Olive Trench Coat size 42L-44L with detachable wool interior, available
    Measurements (garment laying flat, taken from the front, all are approximate)
    shoulder-22"
    chest-27"
    length-47.75" (from BOC)

pictures available upon request

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.