1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ It depends on the shirt. If I found a high end shirt that fits me well in the neck and it's something that I could see myself wearing until the wheels fall off, then I would definitely get it tailored to bring in the body and narrow and shorten the sleeves to the proper length. When I do this, I always bring a suit jacket or sport coat that I had tailored to fit me in order to make sure that the shirt's sleeve length shows just the right amount of cuff. I never felt comfortable wearing a well tailored jacket over a shirt that shows too much cuff.

2. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

I think a pretty good rule is, if it doesn't fit you and isn't amazing (and I wouldn't consider BB, RL or PRL shirts to be amazing [assuming you don't mean RLPL or RLBL]), don't bother.

When you're new to thrifting, there is a tendency to buy everything halfway decent. Do it if you want, but you might quickly end up with a closet full of middling stuff or worse that'll just be more of a pain than anything else. Better to save your time, money and closet space on great stuff that fits you, which you could very well find the next time you hit the racks.

EDIT: What I said is geared toward shirts. I would definitely get minor alterations done on jackets and pants if they're in great shape and mostly fit. Just remember, that $4 shirt isn't such a steal if you have to pay $30 to get it altered. For that price, you may as well find something that fits perfectly on eBay.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  3. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

got thx klobber. Most of the shirts I found today were my size in the neck (15.5) however everything else was way too big. i know sleeves and chest areas can be altered, however I wasnt sure about the shoulders. do you know if shoulders are easy to be altered? what is the rule of thumb when it comes to shoulders being to big?

this is great advice, thanks for that. I will keep that in mind when taking a shirt in. as i asked klobber above, what if the shirt is too large in the shoulders, but neck fits?

I agree, with your tendency comment lol. I did want to purchase half decent pieces because I got caught up in the label and goodwill was offering 50% off on clothing, but I did hold myself back until I brought these questions to you guys here.

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Get off my lawn!
    [​IMG]

I looked at your other post asking about Phoenix tailors. There's nothing good to thirft here :hide:

5. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

If it's too big in the shoulders, don't get it.

It also helps to try a bunch of things on and learn what brands/cuts work best for you. I personally never buy PRL shirts because I always feel like I'm swimming in them. Same goes for BB, unless it's extra slim fit (which I've never found at a thrift).

6. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ It sounds like you're overthinking second-hand shirts. If you think you have to do more than bring in the body and narrow and shorten the sleeves to make the shirt fit me something like this...

[​IMG]
    ...then it's not the shirt for you.
    As for me, I only invest the effort and expense on shirts made by high end English, French, or Italian makers. To be satisfied in the long run with spending about $50 purchasing a second-hand shirt and having it tailored, only do so for shirts that would have originally retailed for $325 or more and are in very lightly used condition with no wear to the collar or cuffs, no discoloration or stains, and fabric that is not worn or weak at the elbows.

Read this: http://putthison.com/tagged/Shirts

1 person likes this.
  7. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

The most I do is dart the back and move the cuff buttons myself to make the sleeves stop at the base of my hand. I've never actually had to shorten the sleeves thanks to this trick—though I wear a 35, so YMMV.

8. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

lol. I take it your from phx? (do you know of any good tailors in the valley?)

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

I actually traded with another member here thinking they were USA made because they were old (same as yours, and I usually check, but had a mental lapse) and they were made in India (I think). Luckly he wasn't pissed (occony, great guy by the way). I think it should say on the tongue (I think).

I can wear anywhere from a 9 to a 11 in AE's, their sizes are all over the place.

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Around there. And nope, sorry.

11. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

no worries, my search continues lol.

12. eazye

eazye Senior member

DEARLY BELOVED, WE ARE GATHERED HERE TODAY,
    [​IMG]
    TO RE-UNITE THIS NORMAN HILTON
    [​IMG]
    SUIT JACKET
    [​IMG]
    WITH THIS PAIR OF NORMAN HILTON SLACKS
    [​IMG]
    IN HOLY TOGETHERNESS, AFTER BEING APART FOR 2 DAYS
    [​IMG]
    I ONLY WANT TO SEE YOU, IN THE PINSTRIPE RAIN.

bad attempt at a noobizor style post

3 people like this.
  13. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I have Sanfords. I wear them in the same size as my Park Avenues and other AEs. Don't think you'll be in for any surprises with the size.

14. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

OK, guys. So here's the booty from the past week or so. Hopefully someone's still awake to see it. (Since I got dinged last time for pic quality, I tried to step it up a bit. I also re-posted better pics of a couple of items from my last brag. Brioni is still at the cleaners, so better pics -- and measurements, for those waiting -- will have to wait). Also, unless the closing on our house gets pushed back YET again, this and the Chicago meet-up with Easy should be it for a good couple of months. Just before I left, grabbed these: 2 x Vineyard Vines shorts, in the 32 waist range.
    [​IMG]
    After a few false starts, I wandered into one store while on vaca. There on the table in front of the door was a big sign: "Freshly laundered Men's shirts, just $[very reasonable price]"
    (Ignore those wet spots. They're undergoing "The Method." For shirts with pearl buttons, I skip the vinegar soak in favor of applying the Oxy spot treater) [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    You've never seen a table cleared so fast. All tagged in the 16 x 36 range, all available (yes, Cotton Dockers, we WILL finally be able to do that trade). 2 x RLPL, both Keaton style. 2 x CT purple label (superfine 180s). 2 x CT black label. 1 x CT Sea Island. And 1 x CT standard that I was going to strand, but felt I should keep it with its ship-mates. Then I was told they'd been there a month (!!), and that the donor comes in regularly and donates a half dozen to a dozen shirts when he buys more. I graciously shared my digits and said I'd be more than happy to help prevent the shop becoming overcrowded the next time said gentleman drops by. A few more stores and a few more hits. Nice Alden loafer/mocs for me. Love the color/patina, but they will need some rehab. Would appreciate if one of you shoe rehab gurus would share a link to a "shoe rehab for dummies" instruction manual.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Speaking of shoes, I also included a better pic of those AE CAmpbells. They're in awesome shape, and they fit basically like an 11.5ish.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Also Zanella half-Unicorns (1 pleat) in a nice chocolate brown nailhead (suspect reverse orphan).
    [​IMG]
    And the ties. Better pics of that Gucci and the ancient Charvet. But also the new finds. 2 x Andover Shop (I know that just gave SOMEONE wood, so please get at me -- esp. that hideous paisley thing). 1 x Aquascutum: Thick and plump, like new. But nothing I'd wear.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And then this. What's the verdict? Real? If yes, feel free to get at me; As I've already expressed, I'm not a devotee.
    [​IMG]
    So, after all that, when I got home, I headed to a spot that routinely has nice stuff but at higher prices. After passing on an Andover Shop beige cotton suit for just shy of a Benjamin (~39R; can't vouch for condition; would say I'd proxy, but don't know when I'll get back to this particular spot), I grabbed a T&A shirt that was decently priced, plus a couple of Robert Grahams destined for Ebay to justify the gas and time, and headed for the register.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Just before checking out, I noticed a nice suit about to be racked.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    HF, relatively recent, double vent, flat front, LP fabric, my size so probably not available. It wasn't priced yet, so I asked. To my pleasant shock, she cut me a sweet price. Then this happens: Purveyor of fine secondhand menswear: "You know, I think another suit came in from the same donor. Yes, here it is. Do you want this one too, and I'll say $10 less on each?" Me: "Well, let me take a look at one thing..."
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Me again: "Uh, yeah, that sounds good." Double vent, flat front, Super 140s, fairly recent. Oh, and MY SIZE! So, at least for now, NOT available.

15. 330CK

330CK Senior member

So I was beginning to get worried, as I was facing a thrifting drought. Went out today, and thank the Lord, it's over... (knock on wood) for now. And, for the first time, nearly all of my haul was my size! :slayer:

BNWT Saltaire shorts (no clue about the brand, but they looked like good quality and I need shorts)
    Silk/Linen blend
    [​IMG]

Not from thrift, but highly discounted. PRL "Fine Tailoring" herringbone shorts - silk/linen blend as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ted Lapidus "Boutique Haute Couture" suit. SO much handwork in this, real MOP buttons, and a beautiful pattern. Fairly certain I can have this tailored to work. :slayer:

Anyone know much about who made these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BB cord blazer:
    [​IMG]

Tweed. No knowledge of this maker. Anyone?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:slayer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:slayer::slayer::slayer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sick lapels:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a feeling Nataku is going to love this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Somebody explain this to me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, not thrift, but highly discounted:
    [​IMG]

Somebody mentioned Adcom a few pages back:
    [​IMG]

French made Faconnable, MOP buttons:
    [​IMG]

Anybody's woman need a watch? Orvis dual time zone:
    [​IMG]

Oxxford
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

I dunno if this is an awesome deal, but I'm pretty happy to have picked up a NWT PRL Made in Italy 3 piece in the popular Bradford model in a staple navy. Wasn't cheap, but filled the big navy gap in my closet.

Also, got a haul on Enrico Isaia's and Brioni's.. in 54EU and 56EU.

17. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

^^^nice jackets, 330CK - any of those in a 40r (that you're not keeping)?

18. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

330, you are no longer in a drought, that is for sure! My finds for the Day Part 1, shoes and a piece of outerwear. SC/pants/ties/shirts to come tomorrow.
    [​IMG] Park Ave's in great shape (bad pic and I haven't touched them yet) 11B.
    [​IMG] AE Chester 11A
    [​IMG] [​IMG]AE recent. read the pic for model. these can't have been worn more than 3x. 11D
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Alan Mcafee by Church's (Brian, these need a little work but obviously you come to mind when dealing with size 7). Also, any input on what it would cost to fix cracked leather inner? Where the script is on the other shoe there is some serious cracking of the leather, the outer is in good shape though. (i'm glad we had that pic in the thread the other day, TBH I thought noobizor was saying the others were stacy adams at first with those pics)
    [​IMG][​IMG] Don't know anything about this, other than its obviously high quality, vintage, and in great shape. I know there are some outerwear anglophiles out there who want this.
    [​IMG][​IMG] Nettleton, in my limited research these seem to be well regarded, and definitely flippable given my investment.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I tried researching brother wright, and nada. I had to snag these though, they just seemed very well made, and great looking IMHO. 12 or 13 AA. Check if you are interested.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] AE westbrook 13D. In nice shape, just dusty. [​IMG] Eazy, this is one of your new jackets. I figure since its already red, wider lapels don't really matter. Made in US, full canvass. 38R

19. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Jpmorris, Any chance you could post/PM the measurements on the suede (?) jacket?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  20. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

It is suede, ill measure tomorrow after I wake up. If i had to guess though it fits ~like a 38 SC. The tag says 40' 102CM, but im not sure what that refers to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.