The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

After going to the post office to mail out the Willis & Geiger coat, stopped by a thrift down the street. There, I came across an interesting Banana Republic Safari & Travel Clothing Co. Shirt

[​IMG]

Also, found first RLPL Shirt, which I'll post a pic when I get home. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Ditto. They are both my white whales (along with about a billion other good brands).

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

I shouldn't say I've never seen one. I had an Isaia purple plaid sportcoat in my hand that fit me perfectly at Neiman Marcus Last Call in Atlanta. If I could have traded them a kidney I would have. Unfortunately they only wanted money and I didn't have the budget for $1K for a sportcoat (even down from over $3K list price)

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I went out looking for a small shelf to organize some of the clothing that I currently have in neat (yeah, right!) piles. I found a nice 3 shelf unit for $10 at SA but the guy didn't want my twenty. I showed him that all I had that was smaller was a five and a one. He said, "Okay, six bucks, then."

My man!

Meanwhile, i stumbled across this.

I can't find anything wrong with it. Looks barely to never worn. Summer's coming but it's too big for me.

Wanty? Send a PM. I'm easy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

This is very true. When I went to Montecristi, I had the opportunity to take a look at $35, $100, $250, $500, $1000 hat bodies at probably a half-dozen to a dozen stores / hat brokers. Keep in mind that these were "source" prices or at the very least involved an initial mark-up by only one middleman (original weaver(s) to local hat brokers). Once the American (and German) buyers / middlemen get involved, that's when the $35 hat becomes a $100 hat, the $250 hat becomes a $1000 hat, and the $500 & $1000 hats become $2500 & $5000 hats. I stayed in the area for a couple of days and saw several of these guys around town and would follow them and go into the places they went into and talk to the people they talked to.

In the end, there were obvious differences between the sub-$100, $100, and $200-$250 hats / hat bodies. Once you held the $250, $500, and $1000+ hats / had bodies, the differences were very small and involved a magnifying glass and measuring whether or not a hat had 30-40 knots per inch vs. 40+ knots per inch. Also, it was possible to find a hat with 35-40+ knots per inch for the same price as a hat with fewer knots per inch, but with a shorter brim. Some of the $1000+ hats were expensive only because they had these huge brims.

Hence my earlier statement about my hat not having as fine a weave as the $20K hat (which I had the opportunity to examine while at Optimo), but it still being visually comparable. I'm also not saying that I know more than any of the true hat professionals like the guys at Optimo or Brent Black or wherever because I don't. I'm just a guy who likes hats, did a little bit of research, and went to Ecuador to see a man about a hat.

6. vexco

vexco Senior member

Found another 2 pairs of Zanella two-pleat trousers. One is 38x30 and the other is 40x30. Anyone want them for basically what i paid+shipping? Just looking to get them out of my hair.

7. macintosh85

macintosh85 Well-Known Member

Just starting to thrift things for profit. So far I've just been selling stuff from my own closet. Anyway I saw a Hermes jacket today. Three button, navy. Probably an orphaned jacket but could pass as a blazer. I did the pinch test on it and its fully canvassed. It also had pick sticking on the lapel. It was 28 dollars. Is it worth anything on ebay? About what should I ask for it if I go back and get it?

8. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

Very. Go back and rescue it! ...Assuming, of course, it's not part of a suit.

9. macintosh85

What if it is part of a suit? Worth anything then?

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Please please please don't me another one to just ask how much everything you find is worth. It gets old real quick. To be decent at thrifting for profit, you will need to learn to a) be able to use a computer and do research and b) be able to use a computer and do research. You are not going to learn how to thrift and find stuff of value if you need to go and look, then come back here and ask if its worth anything. Every item you buy you should have a basic idea in your mind what it is going to sell for BEFORE you buy said item.

Also, go back and read the first 200 pages of this thread and you will know what to look for.

That all being said, I am in a good mood (can't you tell) and did the research for you, this one time ONLY! http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...at=3002&rt=nc&_dcat=3002&Style=Three%20Button & completed auction http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?Styl...002&_from=R40&_nkw=hermes&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

That all being said. Take a smaller profit and sell it to some of the guys you see posting in this thread a lot and you will a) get nicer things in return in your size when they find them and b) actually get answers when you have real "whats it worth" questions.

[​IMG]

11. macintosh85

Sorry. I was mainly wondering what it would be worth if was an orphaned jacket. I had looked on ebay but since those were all blazers didn't know if they would apply. Thanks for your advice though. I'll go back and get the jacket then read some more on this forum. Thanks.

12. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

What if it is part of a suit? Worth anything then?

Some kid with no money to spend might want it for the name, but otherwise: no.

Check everywhere for the pants - inc. the women's section. The insert tag should say whether it's meant as a suit or an SC.

13. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

You know, since we have members that find a closet full of Isaia coats, let me beg a proxy on something. I collect bicycles. If anyone finds a Raleigh (English made), Pinarello, Colnago, or Bianchi, I will pay you a fair, quick, and easy profit. It's been over a year since I found a good bike in thrift.

14. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I can't imagine an Hermes jacket not worth picking up, even if it is a suit jacket. Someone will want it.

15. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

Hah only bikes I've seen were beat up Huffy's/Giant's! I DREAM of seeing a Bianchi or Cannondale or some shiz. It'd be nice to upgrade, although my 1970something schwinn isnt too bad...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.