• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawz

Reaction score

My thoughts would be khakis + white Jack Purcell type sneakers for casual; maybe loafers, a blue blazer and a solid knit tie to dress it up (a bit). 

Thank you, friend. :)

wcl

Reaction score

Was out with SF member Beck today. .

The question is, did Beck get to take anything home :D........Congrats on it all. Last time i hit a motherload like that things dried up for me for a couple of months. Hopefully the same fate will not befall you.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a little misshapen (I had it folded up in my back pocket on-and-off last summer), but I will be sending to to Graham @ Optimo Hats to get it reshaped and to replace the sweatband and hat band for this upcoming summer.

* This is a close up of the crown of the hat using the head of a pin to show the size of the woven knots.  The entire hat was made by hand and is translucent when held to the light.  I've often rolled it up and put in in my back pocket when not wearing it.  Also, it can supposedly hold water, but I've never tried.  While I've never personally seen another man wearing a Panama hat with a finer weave, I'm sure they're out there... lurking...  
patch%5B1%5D.gif

** In the background, you can see the brim where the raw edge has been woven back onto itself to finish it.  Cheaper hats do not finish the edges of the brim, but either sew a piece of fabric over the raw edges or just sew directly onto the raw edges. 

I bought a similar hat from Newt's in Waikiki a few years back at an obscene price. I'm afraid to see if it fits me anymore.

IMGP3149-1.jpg

mrdeep2001

Reaction score
so the $20K hats are made in ecuador? I went and got a regular old panama hat, damn I could have made a killing...

The $20K hat is a Panama hat ("Panama" hats are actually made Ecuador, but they were popularized by workers building the Panama Canal). My brother and I were in Ecuador 2 weeks before I went to Chicago to get that other hat refurbished. I purchased a Panama hat in Montecristi - the same village where the $20K hat was woven - for $250 from one of the hat-brokers there. The weave of mine wasn't as fine, but it was visually comparable and still the finest Panama hat that I've ever seen being worn anywhere.

highlifeman

Reaction score
Wow Nataku, what an amazing haul by you and Beck...unbelievable......Congrats!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I think this may count as one of my best hauls ever. Definitely up there with the 10 recent Brioni suits I found several years back. Was out with SF member Beck today. Hit about 4 stores and didn't have much luck. I found a canvas and leather Polo RL Sportsman game vest. Nothing to brag about. Last stop of the day and I see a rack of "new arrivals" that has some suits/jackets on it. I start to look and the first thing I see is this wool RLPL puffer jacket. My heart skips a beat and I'm literally shaking as I keep going down the line. I see a Borrelli label, red collar labels that could be Isaia, tell-tale Zegna "Made in Switzerland" and 'Made in Italy" labels. All grabbed. Then shirts..... Absolutely insane. Well, pictures are worth a thousand words, so I'll let them do the rest of the talking:
- Two very recent Isaia (my first red label finds) sportcoats. Peak lapel is a pure Cashmere/Silk blend. The other is Super 140s. Both side vented. Keeping both for myself (euro 54 R), so it'll take some good coin to pry these away from me
laugh.gif

- Recent Zegna Houndstooth Cashmere sportcoat and Borrelli Luxury Vintage white linen blazer. Both side vented. Both Euro 56 R and available.

- Bills Khakis fleece 1/4 zip and a super heavy indigo sweater from Dickie Walter.

- Dress shirts from Etro (Euro 42) and Stefano Ricci (Euro 41/ US 16). Ricci is amazing. French cuffs and has killer octagon tonal MOP buttons! (both avaliable)

- Robert Graham & Blake ( both L and available) casual shirts. Can't find much about Blake. Made in the USA and obviously from the same donor as the rest of the stuff, so it's expensive. I got it merely for casual wear on my Calif. trip at the end of the month unless someone really can't live without it.

- Burberry maroon logo T-shirt (XL) and RLPL pink polo shirt (L). Both available.

.... and the piece de resistance.....an RLPL wool down puffer jacket. XL. Made in Italy. Missing one zipper pull. Available.

....Part 2 to continue momentarily....

...Part 2....
All these items were purchased by SF member Beck. I just took the photos and said I'd do some bragging for him as he's got a busy night ahead of him. AKAIK, everything is for sale. If you have any interest in any of these items, please don't PM me as I really don't want a bunch of messages regarding items that I don't own. PM him, please (see link below).
http://www.styleforum.net/u/148320/beck
- RLPL (made in England) Blackwatch Plaid 100% Cashmere Sportcoat. Ticket Pocket. Side vented. 44 R. Best FU jacket ever!! Also, recent Zegna mainline cashmere/rayon sportcoat. Side vented as well.

- Robert Graham casual shirt (L) and RLBL casual tux (pleated bib) shirt (sz 16).

- Dolce & Gabbana Tailored Fit dress shirt (16) and RLPL silk floral L/S shirt (L)

- Crazy Etro shirt ( Eu 42) and Isaia Napoli dress shirt ( 16.5)

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
The $20k hats are few and far between, which is why they're $20k. As noted above there is only a couple of guys who are capable of that kind of work. Those hats are locked down by Americans (usually in Hawaii or Chicago). The hat bodies are brought to the US where they are blocked and finished.

As with anything else, you move into the realm of diminishing returns pretty quickly with Panamas. I have three, which are not of exceptionally fine weave, but were all blocked for me by Art Fawcett. To me the best price to value is to get an attractive hat body that's reasonably priced so that I wouldn't have a heart attack if something happened to it. But then have that body blocked and finished by someone who really knows what he's doing.

Optimo has a sterling reputation, especially when it comes to their work with straw. If you have a lot of money to drop, then go there. If you don't there are other options to explore.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
...Part 2....
All these items were purchased by SF member Beck. I just took the photos and said I'd do some bragging for him as he's got a busy night ahead of him. AKAIK, everything is for sale. If you have any interest in any of these items, please don't PM me as I really don't want a bunch of messages regarding items that I don't own. PM him, please (see link below).

Insane my good man. That is going to win the internet for a while to come!!!!!!

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Damn Nataku, save some for the rest of us :worship: I think I'll take the next week off and let this town recharge.

GHo

Reaction score

Quote:

Insane my good man. That is going to win the internet for a while to come!!!!!!

And to think I was going to post my 2 BB and Alan Flusser jackets and NWT Vineyard Vines golf ball tie. :uhoh:

j/k. thrifting is **** here. But it has enabled me to upgrade my wardrobe exponentially.

nice work Nataku :fistbump:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Nothing for me this morning, BUT walking out I saw a brand new bin of wormans garments, asked if I could peak though and found this for 50 cents...should my g/f be excited? (I'm guessing it's fake) Measures approx 34"x34"

EDIT: Maybe not so fake after all....http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIPPING-VINTAGE-CHANEL-100-SILK-SCARF-SCARVES-WOMAN-LADY-CHAIN-JEWELLERY-/320859174713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab4b27739 & http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CHA...03132?pt=US_Scarves_Wraps&hash=item19ce11007c

1-1.jpg

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty good day for me. Shirts:

Nice BB forest green SC (right?), 85 wool/15 cashmere. 44L

I'm not sure how much I buy "limited edition"/collectible clothing, but the absolutely wild lining made this thing too good to pass up on. Also, my size, though the sleeves are surprisingly short so we'll have to see whether it's going to work for me or not after a trip from the tailor.

And the big winner of the day...Corneliani-made PRL SC. 65% camel/35% silk. Absolutely gorgeous in person, pristine condition...all the good stuff. Sorry dudes, already earmarked.

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will quote this again to inspire SF newbs to stop posting smalltimer stuff. This is how it's done. Quality, not quantity.

But there is both quality AND quantity here.

Everyone who's had a haul like this--or half like this, or even a quarter of this--raise hands. Good lord.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys - it's definitely one of my best hauls to date. Can't wait to break out the Isaias. The fit is perfect, no alterations needed. On the way to a mirror across the store, I was wearing the peak lapel. A rather attractive middle-aged woman who was standing off to the side of the mirror stated "Wow! That fits you perfect...I mean perfect!"

:D :slayer:

That's pretty much how it happened, too!

The question is, did Beck get to take anything home :D........Congrats on it all. Last time i hit a motherload like that things dried up for me for a couple of months. Hopefully the same fate will not befall you.

Oh yeah. That whole second post was his stuff. He just asked me to take some pictures and keep the "haul" together since he was really busy last night. Yeah, I hope the streak continues!

Damn Nataku, save some for the rest of us :worship: I think I'll take the next week off and let this town recharge.

:D

Just goes to show that one donation is all it takes to make a day amazing. That was all from one store and donor - if he didn't donate that stuff yesterday would have been "meh".

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But there is both quality AND quantity here.
Everyone who's had a haul like this--or half like this, or even a quarter of this--raise hands. Good lord.

I've never even SEEN an Isaia or RLPL, so... No.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads