The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Proxy (next time you happen to be in Ecuador)? [​IMG]

2. catside

catside Senior member

Pics or did not happen.

3. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Couple shoe finds

Alden 920's
    [​IMG]

Barker "Clives" 10.5D (just a hair too large for me, basically brand new)
    [​IMG]

And I'll throw in some Ferragamo ties for good measure...

NWT
    [​IMG]

NWOT
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

4. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Next time I go, I'll put up a PSA, lol.

Speaking of which, I was talking to a friend yesterday and he told me that there was a sale at the Barbour Store near my house and waxed cotton dog jackets have been marked down to $50.00. I don't know if they have different sizes, but my friend bought a small one (think French Bulldog). It's on Newbury St. here in Boston for any local lurkers. Just because you can't get a Barbour Beufort for yourself doesn't mean you can't get one for your dog.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

^One point- the fineness of the weave is pretty much the entire reason the price is what it is. The really ultrafine stuff that costs $20K can only be made by the top few weavers on the planet. And by that, I think the number is 3, and one's pretty much entirely retired at this point. They may have trained up a couple more since, I know the guy I read about had a protege, but it's still an astonishingly small number.

Now, I'm not saying the coarser weaves aren't nice, in fact, many prefer them (better airflow, so they wear cooler- the really fine stuff is essentially airtight), but you're not gonna score the 20K one Optimo's offering for much less.

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I think this may count as one of my best hauls ever. Definitely up there with the 10 recent Brioni suits I found several years back. Was out with SF member Beck today. Hit about 4 stores and didn't have much luck. I found a canvas and leather Polo RL Sportsman game vest. Nothing to brag about. Last stop of the day and I see a rack of "new arrivals" that has some suits/jackets on it. I start to look and the first thing I see is this wool RLPL puffer jacket. My heart skips a beat and I'm literally shaking as I keep going down the line. I see a Borrelli label, red collar labels that could be Isaia, tell-tale Zegna "Made in Switzerland" and 'Made in Italy" labels. All grabbed. Then shirts..... Absolutely insane. Well, pictures are worth a thousand words, so I'll let them do the rest of the talking:

- Two very recent Isaia (my first red label finds) sportcoats. Peak lapel is a pure Cashmere/Silk blend. The other is Super 140s. Both side vented. Keeping both for myself (euro 54 R), so it'll take some good coin to pry these away from me :laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Recent Zegna Houndstooth Cashmere sportcoat and Borrelli Luxury Vintage white linen blazer. Both side vented. Both Euro 56 R and available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Bills Khakis fleece 1/4 zip and a super heavy indigo sweater from Dickie Walter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Dress shirts from Etro (Euro 42) and Stefano Ricci (Euro 41/ US 16). Ricci is amazing. French cuffs and has killer octagon tonal MOP buttons! (both avaliable)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Robert Graham & Blake ( both L and available) casual shirts. Can't find much about Blake. Made in the USA and obviously from the same donor as the rest of the stuff, so it's expensive. I got it merely for casual wear on my Calif. trip at the end of the month unless someone really can't live without it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Burberry maroon logo T-shirt (XL) and RLPL pink polo shirt (L). Both available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.... and the piece de resistance.....an RLPL wool down puffer jacket. XL. Made in Italy. Missing one zipper pull. Available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

....Part 2 to continue momentarily....

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

9. catside

catside Senior member

WTF
    Time to stop thrifting. Can't play in the big leagues

10. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Wait...that's not all? Dear god.

11. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Sweet Jesus. :nodding:

12. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Ugh, said I wasn't going to spend anymore until I got back from vacation next week, but stopped by a store near one of my old spots and figured I'd stop in. Wish I hadn't. Small guy about my size must've donated a huge haul, bunch of Dolce & Gabanna, Gucci, and other shirts, but I didn't see any Kiton/Brioni/etc. level stuff and I didn't have the time or money to spend there so I just scooped this Dolce & Gabanna suit because it just looked too damn good to be left there. Although, I'm having reservations about whether I should put it up for trade or make it available as it fits so perfectly (like a 37 in the shoulders and a 30 in the waist).

I'm wondering if anyone knows if D&G does bespoke or something though, because I can't find sizing information. I almost thought it was fake but the quality is up there and the lapels move like my other D&G suit which I know is real, but these tags look off. Maybe I just got lucky and got a really recent suit? For now it's available, may change my mind though as I keep staring at this thing and how ridiculous this jacket looks, I love D&G's suit fits. Sorry for the washed out pics, weird lighting issues, and sorry guys my size, I couldn't torture myself tearing the store apart only to find more stuff I couldn't afford to buy, especially because some dude behind me proceeded to grab every gucci / D&G shirt / pants/ or jacket and called his friend ready to flip them.

It's more like a charcoal/black with subtle pinstripes and red undertones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: OH HEY, JUST GOT OWNED BY NATAKU. Lol, I ain't even mad man, amazing haul, great day.

I'm seriously thinking about just grabbing that Puffer jacket and wearing it all huge like this was the 90s.

13. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

It's a little misshapen (I had it folded up in my back pocket on-and-off last summer), but I will be sending to to Graham @ Optimo Hats to get it reshaped and to replace the sweatband and hat band for this upcoming summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

* This is a close up of the crown of the hat using the head of a pin to show the size of the woven knots. The entire hat was made by hand and is translucent when held to the light. I've often rolled it up and put in in my back pocket when not wearing it. Also, it can supposedly hold water, but I've never tried. While I've never personally seen another man wearing a Panama hat with a finer weave, I'm sure they're out there... lurking... [​IMG]

** In the background, you can see the brim where the raw edge has been woven back onto itself to finish it. Cheaper hats do not finish the edges of the brim, but either sew a piece of fabric over the raw edges or just sew directly onto the raw edges.

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

...Part 2....

All these items were purchased by SF member Beck. I just took the photos and said I'd do some bragging for him as he's got a busy night ahead of him. AKAIK, everything is for sale. If you have any interest in any of these items, please don't PM me as I really don't want a bunch of messages regarding items that I don't own. PM him, please (see link below).

http://www.styleforum.net/u/148320/beck

- RLPL (made in England) Blackwatch Plaid 100% Cashmere Sportcoat. Ticket Pocket. Side vented. 44 R. Best FU jacket ever!! Also, recent Zegna mainline cashmere/rayon sportcoat. Side vented as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Robert Graham casual shirt (L) and RLBL casual tux (pleated bib) shirt (sz 16).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Dolce & Gabbana Tailored Fit dress shirt (16) and RLPL silk floral L/S shirt (L)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Crazy Etro shirt ( Eu 42) and Isaia Napoli dress shirt ( 16.5)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.