The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattR

MattR Senior member

:D

2. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Lol. I sold those Lattanzis for $500 and the buyer neither felt gouged nor taken advantage of. He probably would've paid more and I probably would've taken less. It is what it is and I took my wife out for a nice dinner shortly thereafter. [​IMG]
    Spent an entire day out and ended up with 7 shirts and 2 cummerbunds, lol. On a positive note, ended up running into a trio of older vintage shop owners from another town that I'd met a few months ago and hitched a ride with them to a couple of of other spots (we were all on the same circuit, apparently).

2x Andover Shop solid blue end-on-end w/ button-down collar shirt and blue & white striped spread collar shirt. Marked "16 x 33" & "16 1/2 x 33," respectively.

1x Brioni green, purple, & white plaid spread collar shirt. Marked "M."

2x Vintage LL Bean (cursive labels) green, red, & white plaid L/S shirt and khaki safari-type L/S shirt. Marked "M / 15 - 15 1/2" & (unmarked, but probably L or XL), respectively.

1x RLPL solid white spread collar shirt. Marked "17."

1x Ermenegildo Zegna brown, light blue, gray, & white striped spread collar dress shirt. Marked 15 1/2 / 39.

2x Brooks Brothers cummerbunds in black & white houndstooth and black & white glen plaid - both suitable for weddings.

Thanks! -M-

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Nice shirt haul...I've yet to find an Oxxford shirt.
    WAIT!!! What are the measurements on the RLPL (before you mess it up!, I mean stretch it out....) [​IMG]

4. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

Brand New (with department store tags) Optimo of Chicago for Wilkes Bashford fedora in a rich dark brown felt. Wide-brimmed with an extra high crown. I think these hats retail for $595 and up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  5. valium

valium Senior member

hmm could possibly hit a lil jackpot today,found a nice little painting in oil,signed.only 6 by 9 inches.at least from 1933 because there was an inscription on the back as a present to someone as a baptism present dated 1933.mint condition.signature is faded might have to take this to a auction house and see whats what.
    edit...$40 bucks at goodwill

[​IMG]

6. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

Today, I found a pair of Red Wing USA-made steel-toed boots for $9.99. They fit great, and I haven't had a decent pair of boots in a long time. That's all, but I also left a plain charcoal Hickey jacket that was like a 50R. Couldn't find any pants, but I suspect this could be used as a passable odd jacket because it's dark and plain. If there's anyone here that could make use of such a garment, I'll see if it's there next time I go back to that Goodwill.

7. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

I won't say anything about it then [​IMG]

Haha, I never realized how badly this is shrunk until measuring. The length is 24.75" and the chest is 25.25"... yup, its wider than it is long.

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG] Why couldnt it shirt in all directions the same.. Take some before and after pictures

Quote:
    A faded signature of someone we all might know??

9. Typhoid Jones

WOW! [​IMG]

That hat probably retailed for over $500. Their custom-made hats are the ones that can get out of hand real quick. I was in their store in Chicago 2 summers ago to get an old hat that I had custom made refurbished and reshaped to get more use out of it and was blown away. Optimo Hats is arguably the best hat store in the United States.

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

Pics and measurements?

11. catside

catside Senior member

I don't blame you But I understand how WGP feels.

Nothing this week. I found two NFL throwback Eagles jackets, unused but Size 64. Passed.

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

I think it's all wrong for you. You should send it to me [​IMG]

13. Typhoid Jones

I'll get some pic's & measurements up tomorrow when there's daylight. If anyone else would like pic's or measurements for any of the other shirts, let me know. Thanks! -M-

14. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

The pics on their website of the shop make it look awesome. I keep hearing about a $20K panama made by Optimo but don't know if my eyes could bear to look upon such a thing :happy:

I'm leaving on vacation in a few days but will probably post for sale here or on eBay when I get back.

15. Typhoid Jones

The $20K hat is a Panama hat ("Panama" hats are actually made Ecuador, but they were popularized by workers building the Panama Canal). My brother and I were in Ecuador 2 weeks before I went to Chicago to get that other hat refurbished. I purchased a Panama hat in Montecristi - the same village where the $20K hat was woven - for $250 from one of the hat-brokers there. The weave of mine wasn't as fine, but it was visually comparable and still the finest Panama hat that I've ever seen being worn anywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.