The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

2. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Give it time... it'll happen. I started out thinking I would never ever ever see anything amazing - and in some ways that's still true. I've never seen Kiton or a Brioni suit in a thrift, and it's true that RECENT Oxxford can be scarce - but I now have each of those things in my closet, thanks to the generosity of fellow forumites, to which I will ever be grateful.

I will say that my luck has been more difficult with shoes, in general - not sure why. Most of my shoes have been eBay or B&S finds (back when B&S was more realistic for this type of acquisition). I'd love to get a pair of EG's or Lobbs or similarly amazing shoes - heck, I'd kill for a shell AE Dalton boot - but while I'm ready to pay significant coin for that kind of thing, B&S sellers are more likely to demand Ebay-or-higher prices nowadays so I've stopped looking.

And every awesome pair of shoes in this thread either a) is found by an unabashed gouger-flipper (like those Lattanzi shells) or b) IS NEVER MY SIZE. :brick:
    (note: nothing wrong with flipping - I have bills to pay too - just my luck that shoes in my size... :lol: )

Back OT.... here's Sunday's finds:

Lacoste Vintage Wash polo... fits me, totally going in my closet. :slayer: I love this thing, it kicks the butt of my other Lacoste polos.
    New & Lingwood FC shirt - tagged 14.5 in one place and 15 in another? :confused: Needs a good blast with the Oxy treatment, reserved for a trade buddy if that works out. :)
    J. Crew recent staple shirt, size M - got this thinking of a guy on here I've picked up a couple of J. Crew things for, we'll see what happens on it.

[​IMG]

Today's finds - didn't bother taking a pic, just basic stuff, both available:
    North Face jacket, L
    AE Park Avenues, 12E

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Update : Im STILL fucking furious the GGs don't fit me.

Carry on.

4. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Hachi machi - those things look outstanding! Nice job.

5. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Really nice job, well done!

6. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

[​IMG]

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Pretty good day for me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My second ever. Oh, and it's exactly my size [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no idea how to identify makers from the codes. 3 questions I have no idea about: 1) are these shell (my guess is no), 2) how do I identify/who is the maker?, 3) What the hell is the size for these and how do I tell?

EDIT: Ah, may have my own answer from google...looks like they're semi-formal patent leather (no wonder they shined up so well). Less exciting [​IMG]...and maker looks like it might be Churchs...and size is 9A.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Left shoe properly tied with reef knot. Right shoe tied with granny knot=bad juju.

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Can always post them here also...http://www.styleforum.net/t/24109/h...s-secrets-to-id-the-maker/550_50#post_5257637

10. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

My thoughts would be khakis + white Jack Purcell type sneakers for casual; maybe loafers, a blue blazer and a solid knit tie to dress it up (a bit).

11. alkessl

alkessl Member

Spanish made vintage leather jacket... Zipper reads "Areitio", No labels inside:

[​IMG]

90's (I believe) YSL suit. Found the orphaned jacket, spent nearly half an hour searching for the pants!
    Every measurement matches mine perfectly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

I haven't posted in a while but February was a great month even with relatively few thrifting trips, so I decided to post some of my good finds. Most of this is available for trade, but first some bragworthy stuff I'll be keeping [​IMG].

My first RLPL, Loro Piana, and Oxxford shirt. Possibly the best quality shirts I've ever come across.
    [​IMG]

Three Paul & Sharks. I love the patterns and will be keeping these as well.
    [​IMG]

And now some stuff thats available. Holland & Sherry (17.5"), Charvet (16"), recent Zegna (16").
    [​IMG]

Canali (16"), John Varvatos off-white linen (XL), RLPL polo that's extremely shrunken. I figured I would experiment with stretching this out.
    [​IMG]

Pal Zileri Sartoriale & Pal Zileri mainline (both15.5"). The sartoriale has the coolest colored shell buttons I've come across. Unfortunately, they lost their shine a bit after I used the Oxyclean method to get rid of a very tiny stain [​IMG]. I might try taking polish or something on them.
    [​IMG]

My first Hermes
    [​IMG]

A Hickey Freeman sample sportcoat. I think its 100% silk. Side vented and size 40R.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luciano Barbera navy jacket. Can anyone tell if this is suit orphan or blazer? I'm on the fence about keeping this and having it tailored, but its an awesome jacket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, possibly my most interesting and coolest find. A vintage hand tailored Hickey Freeman blazer. I've heard people talk about clothing with amazing handiwork, but didn't understand fully until see this. There's hand stitching all over it. Also, Its styling is surprisingly modern. The lapels are very high and wide, its side vented, and the pockets are are slanted with very wide flaps. Just a really cool jacket in general. Best of all, it is in incredible condition, like it was barely worn. I'm having a lot of trouble dating it, because the union label is apparently from post 1976, but I thought this style was only around in the pre-60s. Anyways, its available (Size 38-40).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Wow man, great finds! That Hickey is the most interesting venting I've ever seen. Very cool man.

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

I've dealt with Henry Boogers in parking lots twice now [​IMG]

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

The HF is pretty badass.

Please tell me that red and blue Oxxford shirt isn't a 15.5-16... I may have dreams about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.