1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Yup, that's bad. When you get a great deal, you should pass the karma forward, which is to say, if someone sells you something here for less than what it would have fetched on the "open market," you should throw it back in this pond for what you have into it. Period. To do anything else ain't cool.

2. 46n2

46n2 Well-Known Member

Got this yesterday. Fake ? There is no Made in Italy label on it anywhere. Should I call Da Spoo ? (sorry for the multiple spoilers)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  3. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Well-Known Member

I am stopping the back and forth beetwen Andro and I. But I only did this, to clear this up, since it looks like other members on here told him that I buy cheap stuff on here to flip on ebay for big profit. So, let's be clear, I only inquire and purchase things that are my size and intend to wear (42R, 16.5, 11.5B or 12B). Will they end up on ebay? Sometime in the future, yes, as with everything else in my closet and it doesn't matter where it came from.

4. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

I just want to clear something here. Androfan contacted me about a pair of Bill's I found, and offered me more than I was expecting.

Now is that sooooooooooo bad?

5. Manofstyle85

So what should I do with the stuffs I got from Marshalls or Consignment shops, give it back to them? You see, when it comes to stuff that I want, profit don't matter to me when I am getting rid of them.

6. ocooney

ocooney Well-Known Member

Seconded on both counts.

7. Manofstyle85

After awhile if he wants to rid of it by selling it, is that soooooooooooooo bad?

8. dustinmyself

dustinmyself Well-Known Member

zz..

9. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Well-Known Member

Seriously: you're wrong, and you're only digging your hole deeper.

The understanding when someone sells you something here at a much lower price than they could get on eBay is that they're doing you a courtesy that you would do for them, and that you aren't buying the item for profit. If you then turn around and sell it for profit, you're disrespecting that courtesy. Whether or not you wore it a few times first.

And let's be clear: everyone gets that but you.

So the proper response is this: "Sorry, I misunderstood the implicit expectations of below-market sales here. I'll do it differently in the future."

1 person likes this.
  10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Well-Known Member

changed my mind, heh.

11. dustinmyself

dustinmyself Well-Known Member

oh no, how ooooooooold sir?

12. Manofstyle85

I did not understand the below-market, sorry. I'll remember that next time I am cleaning my closet.

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Alright man, well I honestly am really sorry how all this played out. I'm a bit peeved that you publicized a private message, but water under the bridge, etc. That said, we should probably both agree to squash this and end the back and forth entirely. No one looks good from this.

14. Manofstyle85

Deal [​IMG]

15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Wait, what's the implicit agreement for trades? I just realized (a) I've listed something in B&S I traded for, but no longer fits, and (b) have at least three traded-for items that obviously fell victim to some very creative or hopeful measuring. :facepalm:

I mean, I'm pretty sure I know whatThe Ethicist Randy Cohen would say (If it's yours, it's yours, screw it...) but why pass up a chance for that li'l pot-stirrer guy? :)

16. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Soooo, do any Pendleton-heads (if such a thing exists) have any thoughts on this? I'm keeping it for myself and it feels good enough quality to keep me happy, but inquiring minds must know. I also paid a lot for it (this place marked up leather jackets), so I care fractionally more than I otherwise would I guess.

17. catside

catside Well-Known Member

If it is from me, simply send me a courtesy note.

18. hyakku

hyakku Well-Known Member

Lol I get you on B, and I mean on A, if you've worn something for a while and it just stops fitting I think you've gotten the use that the original forum member intended.Most of us have been here long enough to know whos flipping stuff and not.

Why that guy posted a private PM that made him look worst is beyond me, but I'm pretty sure it's a judgement thing. .

Also, for you guys that eBay, later tonight I'll have those things you all can have for free+shipping. Should fetch some of you guys some decent bills (20-30 a piece) and I've got no real time to deal with them.

19. Manofstyle85

Ummm, how's that different from my case? I've worn something for awhile and now I am cleaning my closet... How's that make me a flipper?

20. tben

tben Well-Known Member

I think we should keep discussing this....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.