1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mainy

mainy Senior member

i wouldn't bother trying to educate yourself on it simply because the odds of you finding the balmain that is worth money are basically 1 in a billion, everything you're seeing is just the old diffusion lines

2. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

stay please, you find sweet stuff and I wanna keep seeing it [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  3. vexco

vexco Senior member

co-signed

the shoes are balling as fuck.

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

If he had had a white shirt, I don't think I'd even dislike it.

1 person likes this.
  5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Dude, if you aren't prepared to get your fit torn to shreds, don't post a pic. You put a pic up, you're subject to anything on the inter webs has to say. Good, bad, true, or untrue.

6. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

This is WAY off topic but...

...I was doing some research for a friend on a car forum that I frequent and stumbled across a story of a dude with a ...

[​IMG]

...who used it as a truck to haul building materials IN HIS TRUNK!!

The magnificent machine, of course, declined to perform this ridiculous task for the man and stopped dead in traffic and refused to transport the offensive cargo another inch. The driver, when later offered advice on his foolhardiness, responded...

I bet the guy carries loose change in the pants pocket of his Tom Ford suit. I mean, really?

:lol:

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Oh wow. Talk about ironic! Timing is everything.

8. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

A little trip report:

Yesterday, more for the ride than the destination, I jumped on the bike and rode to Manchester, VT to see what was there at the Orvis mothership. NEver been before.

I was greeted by a cop cruiser directing traffic into the parking lot for their memorial day weekend tent sale. Interesting! I cased the tent and the three floors of factory outlet, and they had everything there (not one of everything, but something from every category of stuff they sell, including luggage and leather goods) and I walked off with 3 linen shirts (I seem to be collecting those right now) for about $16 a pop, two short sleeves and one long. And a Col. Littleton iPad case for half price. But I could have gotten a lot more (sweaters, pants, they have a ton of really nice belts). SInce I was on the motorcycle and between consignment checks from our eBay pals here, I kept it minimal.

Then, as they rung me up, cashier said. "Free pulled pork sandwiches at the main store!"

"What?" I answered.

"You heard me."

"Where's the main store?"

"Across the field," she pointed in the general direction.

So I walk across the field and sure enough, there's a practice casting pond loaded with big, fat trout, another three floors of Orvis at the main HQ, a band playing (you guessed it, it's vermont) Dead and blues covers, and a local caterer with his mobile BBQ van handing out free pulled pork sandwiches and cole slaw.

Even if it's not Memorial Day, I recommend going. Some good deals happening there and a very pleasant outing.

The iPad case:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. 951socal

951socal Senior member

Stuff thats worth monty is black label and BALMAIN (all caps) PARIS. the new pierre balmain diffusion line is worthless, the old pierre balmain diffusions are rags. vintage balmain isn't popular so don't worry about it

looks like this

[​IMG]

10. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Wow, you sir are a treasure trove of knowledge. Thanks kindly!

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Exactly. In the future if you know there's something she was thinking of going to, keep planning for it until it's passed, because otherwise she WILL spring it on you last minute and you'll be unprepared.

Also, DM7, you should probably have one MC outfit set aside for surprise occasions. I say this as someone who had to attend the funeral of one of my best friends in a cheap, ill-fitting suit because I hadn't bothered to have one together. You never know when something could happen and you'll need one. I'm sure we'd all be willing to help you fill out the shoes, etc.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

All I have to say is, I liked the pic. I'm a big fan of the sneaks with suit. Check my avatar.
    [​IMG]

13. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

+1. All this shit from the past couple of days really reinforces the importance of making sure you've got the basics down pat AND THEN moving on to more outrageous stuff. Of course, most of us don't live in a world where we're thrifting Rick Owens leather jackets left and right, but still. Maybe take some of those flipping profits and buy some essentials in your size. Because, as a man living in America in 2012, sometimes you just need that basic, possibly boring outfit.

That being said, if my girlfriend sprung something like that on me at the last minute, I'd be kinda pissed.

That being said, I don't know what high school's like in the U.S., but if anyone wore a tux at my prom, they would have been laughed out of the room.

That being said, I wore a kilt to my prom.

14. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

I still cant believe people are talking about DMs attire after demanding he post pictures. It's not like he volunteered it. DM, stick around, it's really not that serious. I once wore red sweatpants and a yellow long sleeve shirt when I was going through my "hood" phase way back in HS and got called Ronald McDonald for the day. Still kept my friends, still on my path to success, and honestly a few days later you'll laugh about it with good friends. This really won't break you man lol, you wore sneakers with a suit. I mean, shit man, I was one of those late bloomers. I barely even talked to a ton of women until I almost graduated, so i can guarantee you that half the Kids there were probably more jealous of you going home with your girl that night than if your tie was funky. I can guarantee looking back in a decade or two at your pictures you'll find it awesome and hilarious, you were 17 having a kick ass time.

Until you do something like wear a brown suit or something with huge thick pin stripes to a Biglaw firm (my god see some of my fellow SAs), you really shouldnt worry man. Now go find me another suit in charcoal or navy blue so I don't have to be one of those guys. And some oxfords please and thanks brother :slayer:

15. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Now I understand why DM doesn't respond to PMs: he's just a high school kid!

16. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

He's mentioned before that he's a sophomore in college. I'm guessing it's his GF that is in HS. [​IMG]

17. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

The plot thickens!

Also, looking back at my post, that reads like one of the most hippie posts I've ever made with all the "mans". Finally I normally wouldn't do this but:

LOOKINGR8 ANSWER YOUR DAMN PMs BROSEF, I WANT THAT PAL.

18. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

You're in this pic? I hadn't noticed up until now and I've been seeing it for months. The other two gals are distracting I guess

19. catside

catside Senior member

Actually I thought people were not that bad compared to rest of the forum. Whatever :confused:

20. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Remember, a lot of us read this thread but don't poast everything that comes to mind. And others of us take a few weeks off here and there, for need of IRL stuff, ha! Don't suffer the loudmouths who are the posting majority but do not speak for the group--they're a small but vocal minority, in fact. Just take the grain of truth that might be in there and reconfigure for next time (unless you really really like the outfit, which should trump all virtual friends' opinions...because if you really like something you're comfortable and confident and no one is looking at your clothes). Remember also, some people are experts and can make good points in bad ways because they have the tact of a half-broken jigsaw. Spoo I'm sure can attest to that as he is a frequent subject of abuse, ha! But he puts his fits on the line so frequently...which is how one hones their schtick to perfection. Even though the h8rs will never see the perfection, ha

Oh, and pocket the $$$ from your excellent thrifting eye and tell yourself "Gee I 'm glad I don't have to wear this one. They don't pay me to LIKE it." HAters and jealous people hang out in your thrifting penumbra, man, get used to it. Their money spends the same as the fans (I'm a fan).

Finally, remember, it's a lot easier to say dumb stuff and behave badly when you're sitting behind a mostly anonymous avatar. I would guess that some of the stuff that made you feel bad might or might not have been said to your face. Or maybe it would have, but in an inoffensively joking way that's hard to transcribe in an online forum. Poasting a fit pic is an act of bravery some folks here just can't muster. I've done, maybe 3. Wish I had the brass to do more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.