Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parterre

Parterre Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm new to this, sorry. Now I need to come up with a price. Anyone have that label chart so I could possibly date it?

2. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

My first strong day in a long long time. I have never thrifted any of these brands before:

• Alden Shell Longwings (975/Barrie Last) Sz 10 1/2 B/D (will post before and after pix...they need a little TLC)
    • Biella Collezinoni for Trillion cashmere sweater (tagged EU 54 / light blue)
    • Loro Piana sweater (tagged EU 50 - this one only 75% cashmere/ a bit darker than the one above)
    • Nieman Marcus merino wool sweater (made in Scotland, about the size as the Biella /gray)
    • Kenneth Gordon Button Down (keeping for myself)

Also found a pair of AE Stockbridge in 11 1/5 D that look like they wear worn one or two times then tossed in the closet. Actual size wise, they look close to the Alden's so I think they may have come from the same guy.

My wife also found a couple cool made in Italy scarves.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

3. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

Crap. Wife was really excited when I told her I found a women's apc trench for her. But lookin at the apc site, I may have been mistaken. Once I get home I will post more pics. Btw it's tagged 40, does that help solve the mystery of the androgynous trench?:embar:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG]

6. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Quote:
    [​IMG] 40, you say? Now I want something I didn't previously want. I hate when that happens.

7. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Don't worry, Brianpore, I got you covered: picked up a 36 S Burberry trench this weekend :D

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG]I really hope this is a smaller 36S that will fit!!!

9. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

alright here's more pictures. mens or womens?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    note: it's missing one of the bottom buttons, i put the lenscap next to where the missing button should be

10. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

GQ weighs in. Apparently, the Style Guy says that on jackets, it can go either way. In addition, I could swear that I had bought some clothes in France that buttoned on the opposite side although they were definitely for men.

However, the French also label women's clothing from 36 to 56 or so, not 2, 4, 6, 8 … as we do in the Anglo-Saxon world.

So my vote's for F — a 40 is at the small end of the women's clothing table I'm looking at right now. Translates as about a size 6.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I say mens, and i also say dibs pending measurements and what you may want to trade for it :)

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

Anyone heard from mainy? He put up his list of stuff that's available and I PM'd him, but I haven't heard back... MAINY! PM ME! [​IMG]

13. SpooPoker

He's busy shooting his episode of Thrift Wars.

14. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

Took a fairly long trip to hit a few stores yesterday, didn't find much but this pretty cool looking Aquascutum Sc (No size tag, 18.5 S/S, 25 sleeve, 30 BOC)

[​IMG]

But, decided to stop in a place just a couple of miles from the house on the way back, and found these

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Almost twin Aldens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lighter pair is pretty mint, just a few scuffs, the darker in very good condition too. Obviously must be from the same donor.....

Unfortunately of course, not my size , they are small and narrow- lighter ones are 8 AA/B, darker ones 8 A/C. I can almost squeeze into the 8A/C,(usually wear 8.5-9), but it aint really gonna happen.They appear to be part of the Alden footbalance system (ortho), both have padded heel inserts and are on the truflare last.

From what Ive found on the Alden website, I think they were the same color to begin with (they are both marked style 639)- interesting if that's the case.

Probably throw these on the bay & let them sit since they probably are not very in- demand due to size, unusual style & last etc., unless someone is interested.

Had a pretty good day today actually- found several nice items in my size, I'll take and post some pics up tomorrow.

15. MattR

MattR Senior member

^ Wow, no kidding. Very nice finds! Is that scotchgrain leather?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.