The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Thanks...what would you recommend?

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Ace, you approve?
    [​IMG]

Havnt had much thrifting time recently :(

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Are you kidding? That tie is a Christian Dior!

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

LOL....Dunhill

5. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

You sure it's not a Pierre Cardin? [​IMG]

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Been out of action for the most part with various illnesses in the family lately... did find the below lately though, nothing special, all gas money on the bay unless anyone's particularly interested:
    John Molloy made in Ireland sweater, no size tag but I'd guess L... this photo sucks, it's navy with blue flecks.
    Brooks Brothers USA buttondown 15.5-33
    Barbour Field Tattersall shirt, tagged EUR L US M
    Barbour Country Tattersalls shirt, tagged EUR L US L (don't get the sizing difference?)

Apologies for the even-crappier-than-usual pic, but one snap and I'm back laying on the couch with some hot tea and tissues. :brick:
    [​IMG]

7. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

On the left, a pair of Dack's camel-skin oxfords. These shoes are at least 30 years old, but they're in great shape in size 14. I can't wear them, but they came with a pair of shoe trees, and they were too cool to leave behind. If you want to kick ass in a pair of supple camel shoes, let me know and they're yours for shipping, paypal fees, and the $3 that I paid for them.

On the right, a Brioni tie.

[​IMG]

8. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Any plain white non-iron shirt (with collar stays). And the tie itself might not be the problem, it is that the knot is sloppy. If the Duhill won't tie right, find another one. I've found plenty of $9 ties at TJMaxx that produce better knots than my more expensive ties. Spoo always has good knots, you should be shooting for something like this:

[​IMG]

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Its probably the knot tie-er not the tie. I will take the blame for that. I guess I need a lesson. Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

10. catside

catside Senior member

^Try to use a wider ( or tie short) and more substantial tie. A Windsor or half Windsor may look better on the mannequin. Spoo's shirt collar style is of course good, make sure to use metal collar stays so you can shape them the way you want.

ALSO People:

Family obligations will take me near a Barney's outlet once a week, next two months. Today RLPL, Isaia, Cuccinelli, Etro etc shirts were half price at 150 plus tax range, not all sizes were available at every color. Duchamp PS 40+tax, and Isaia 7folds quite a variety 100+tax range, HF ties70 range, Brioni ties 100 range. Also other Barneys stuff. There was a particular LP Storm system outerwear (cashmere), almost a peacoat, made by Jack Victor for Barneys 250 bucks at 50% off. Mrs was with me so could not do an impulse buy.
    I can proxy if u need anything.

11. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Stoked on this Lord Forecaster Jacket I found. But alas it's a 42 R too short in the arms for me. Couldn't pass it up though b/c it was too cool and thought I could trade it here. Dual pockets on the sides. Double vented. Fleece inside. Warm. Available to trade ? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Sorry, passed as they were orphans. I can pick them up if you want next time I'm in the store. They seemed like a 36-ish x 34, but that's just guessing off appearance.

13. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

So yesterday wasn't as good as I thought, I noticed some damage on the Oxxford and Versace that wasn't apparent until I looked at everything in daylight.

Oxxford 3-roll-2 pinstripe suit. Jacket is in marvelous condition, pants need some work.

Chest: 50”
    Sleeves: 25.5” surgeon’s cuf
    Shoulder: 20.5”
    Length (BOC): 31.5”

Waist: 46”
    Total length: 41.5”
    Inseam: 29” (5.5” to let out)
    Rise: 13.5”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Versace

Chest: 21.5”
    Sleeves: 26”
    Shoulder: 20.5”
    Length (BOC): 32”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ties
    [​IMG]

LL Bean loafers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cole Haan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, forgot to the take new pics of the Harris tweed. Measurements are:

Chest: 50”
    Sleeves: 26.5”
    Shoulder: 21”
    Length (BOC): 30.5”

14. ducks22

ducks22 New Member

Hello all, long time lurker here who loves to keep up with this thread. While I was out today I came across this Willis and Geiger wool jacket. Definitely not my style, and I never buy things that are not my size and would not wear, but I know W&G has a cult following and figured I would pick it up. Is there a specific name for this type of jacket? I searched online and couldn't find anything definitive. I figured this is one of the few places to find someone who would know or care about this. I apologize for the crappy cell phone pics.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

These look like they would clean up nice with just some leather conditioner even. Also, just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but something about nice leather shoes on a rusty metal grate just dosnt go together...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just an FYI, if you are a 42L and would have any interested in this sport coat let me know ASAP. It's gone in 24 hours. I can work on the price a little especially for you guys.
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/290659/...wool-cashmere-herringbone-sport-coat-42l/0_50
    Hickey Freeman Presidential NWT 95% Worsted Wool & 5% Cashmere Herringbone Sport Coat - 42L

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.