1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:lurk:

That looks like a pretty generic MII tag., not sure if you can deduce who made it by that... .

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I was just busting you guys' balls a bit. Its pretty much the same as here. Except apparently there was an equal trade made ...Jos A Bank for Britches. Those things are everywhere, like cockroaches. I did pick up a few things, but man it is very difficult to thrift with a massive hangover.

Toscano_adottato, whats up with that SA on Balls Ford? Is that a brand new store? It was really nice inside, like a department store. I think they care a little to much, which was reflected slightly in the pricing. Not way too much, but a little higher than normal.

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Spoo, that Davies & Son is fantastic!

1 person likes this.
  4. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

5. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Spoo, you thrift now?

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Nah it's been around go quite some time... They just really take good care of it. I've had some pretty great hauls from that location. Price is actually pretty typical for the stores in the area, and suits are a bit less than at the goodwills in the area. You've got to remember, this is a pretty high cost area. There are definitely some smaller non-gw/sa shops that are way cheaper, though the quality tends to be less great.

Oh, and I got some shit yesterday that might make you eat those "nova sucks" words. :D

Deets later, have errands to run.

7. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Hit up a store I'd never been to yesterday, always fun. Couple of middling items for eBay, and this thing, for which I humbly request the help of

[​IMG]

In determining realness v. fakeosity, as well as era.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

remember to spoiler the photos next time you quote something like this

9. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

I miss the days when my Hugo Boss used to go for $70-$150, now my Zegnas don't even go for that much. That was just last year, folks.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ I hear ya. Amazing how a mere 6-7 months can affect something. My used Boss suits averaged about $110 each. Now I'm lucky to get $40 unless it's super recent and mint.

11. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

Not sure what happen, in my part of the country I don't see the big stuff so often and I used to do well with the middle and lower end stuff. Last year around this time I sold a Hugo boss (42R) navy blazer for $177 with over 30 watchers, last week I found the same model in 38R and I couldn't even get $80 for it, grrrrr.

13. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Lately I feel like I could list a $20 bill and would happy to get $10 for it. Seasonality or a dip in the 'market'?

14. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

The jacket fits really good, though I think the jacket, the sleeves, and the pants all need to be shortened (order of importance: pants>sleeves>jacket)
    And for it to work with those sweet sneakers(they're real cool) I think the pants could be tapered (a little) aswell

15. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Anyone want these AE Hillcrest for cost plus shipping? 9 1/2 D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I might have made a mistake in buying this thing. If it's a flop though, I'm not out much. It's a nice piece but needs work. One button is loose (button and backing button are intact) and the seam sealer is showing through, as I've seen a lot with outdoor/backpacking garments of this age as well. Not sure if there's a fix or to call it "patina".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, I don't get it. Ties for some reason are not now. Last year I couldn't get over $20 for a recent Zegna or Talbott BOC. Just sold a BOC for $60+ and recent Zegnas for $30-$50. Crazy!

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  17. grendel

grendel Senior member

I disagree on the jacket... The shoulders are too big and it's causing the wrinkling under the arms.

I'm seeing the opposite. Maybe it's just that I started taking much better pictures, but suits / SC's are selling better for me. That nailhead Canali I put up last week sold at the BIN for $125 which I wasn't expecting. The Versace tie I found still hasn't sold and I have a bunch of Zegna's up that haven't sold for a while now.

18. Jettison

Jettison Well-Known Member

Exams are impending, so no thrifting for me. Already planning a thrift-trip to London for afterwards though, which should be fun.

Heads up for the small guys- 5 T&A shirts in a slim 14.5 have just gone up on ebay, £15 each. Arms a tad too short for me: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320914595...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_742wt_1270

Also, something I've been pondering for the past couple of days-

Eazye- how did you get that desk home on a bike?

19. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

totally missed the wrinkling, only looked above and underneath where the wrinkling was [​IMG] (if you put one finger sideways over the wrinkly part you'll probably agree that it's looks good-fitting [​IMG])

20. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

You know how people say that what you imagine is always worse than reality? Well, in this case it's the opposite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.