The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

I really wish people stop posting pics of clothing. It really takes away from being able to easily follow all the complaining and fighting. Please go start another thread if you wish to do that type of thing.

2. ArsenalDan

ArsenalDan Senior member

:nodding:

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Alright, moving on, here's my thrift fit for the day. It's nothing particularly exciting, but I love it because it all fits pretty close to perfectly without alteration, which is a huge rarity for me (the topcoat may need a teeensy bit out on the sleeves):

[​IMG]

This topcoat is so. friggin. bad. ass. Made by "Lido", in Italy, cashmere/wool blend. Can't find anything about them, but don't care...It's 50 billion times softer than the Hammersley DB topcoat I snagged the same day. So awesome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jacket: Harris Tweed
    Shirt: Brooks Bros slim fit
    Tie: Brooks Bros
    Slacks: Banana Republic (but really nice ones, actually)
    Shoes: Florsheim Imperial captoes

All thrifted except the pants, which were obtained on clearance on the super cheap ($150 reduced to $25 I think)

And the oft-forgotten accessories!:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going straight from work to the mountains/snowboarding this weekend (woot!!), so excited about my first opportunity to use this awesome duffel.

Duffel: Piel. 100% natural leather, super soft, roomy, and awesome. I think it retailed for ~$200.
    Bag: Unknown maker, only telling is a "road" symbol. Top grain leather, also ridiculously soft and awesome. Lots of space inside, definitely well made.
    Both thrifted

4. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

***CLAIMED! Thrift trade with ocooney***

Willis & Geiger Outfitters Coat, not really sure what it is, maybe some kind of safari coat? It has this mesh inner that seems like it would help keep you cool. Its tagged a Medium Tall, but seems a bit on the bigger side...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leather Accents on Collar and sleeve cuffs
    [​IMG]

Cuff is a little dirty, any ideas to clean? Can I just use any leather cleaner?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

5. tben

tben Senior member

If any of you are interested in 8 suits by Ernesto, are a size 41R 31x30.5, and live in the Philadelphia area, pm me!...I am blowing up my spot.

6. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Sorry, I must post pics:

Dollar day at GW, NWT G Beene navy cords my size. (these are only cords, so no pics, but only $7)

Second, a really nice Hickey Freeman 2-button navy suit in 44R. Found the coat first and figured it was a suit but thought it could easily pass as a sportcoat. Found the pants later, had one moth hole, but for a $1 each, picked them up. When I got home, found moth hole in back of jacket that I couldn't see in store:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

If anybody wants its, just pay for shipping cost, PM me.

Did pickup a pair of tweed pants, 38x33 +1 excellent shape, non cuffed, but the name is what really did it, all I could think of was Seinfeld:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Lastly, a very nice condition tweed, not 100% wool, fully lined, sportcoat in 36S, not my size but I thought somebody might be interested (Brian):

[​IMG][​IMG]

Believe it's 19 PTP, 18 Shldr, 28 length

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

LOL not quite but you get the general idea... PM'd already. ;)

FYI I'm still looking out for Oxxford fat hangers! Also need a Kiton, THREE Brionis, and a a Raffaele Caruso... hangers, hangers anyone? Might trade clothes for hangers... :spam: :embar:

oh, and I'm staying out of the debate above except to say that overly publicizing which locations tend to have good finds *will* result in ebay flippers hitting it harder, especially in large metro areas.

Interesting anecdote: I talked to my consignment store guy the other day and he said there was a young guy in the store asking about which thrift stores were the best to hit - wonder if that's the rude guy fishing for hot spots that PM'd me awhile back. Hard to say, though, there IS a college in town...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

9. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Short? Hell yes!

42? I HATE EVERYTHING!

Tailoring this down two (probably three) sizes is not possible, correct?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

Been some what bleek in these parts lately. I did find a nice pair of made in USA Foot Joy golf shoes that are pretty nice.
    [​IMG]
    As well as a nice pair of Bernard Zins made in Paris flannels. Never heard of this brand before, but the quality seems nice. Single curtain waistband similar to Oxxford super 100 fabric. Sz 40 PM if interested.
    [​IMG]

11. w00tah

w00tah Well-Known Member

HNNNNG was this from a discount store or thrift?

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

Looks great! Love the top coat.

I found one kinda like this a few months ago... It went at the BIN price of $250 in less than 6 hours.

13. ArsenalDan

ArsenalDan Senior member

thrift. $10. there was also a NWT Bergdorf private label button down-collar shirt in medium ["Slim Fit" or something] (anyone know who makes them?). They wanted $20 (more than for the Loro Piana sweater!), and it didn't fit perfectly, so I left it.

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. mf62168

mf62168 Well-Known Member

How much did you pay for this? Are you selling it? Did you get it at Bergdorf?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.