The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

:lurk: This thread is a trainwreck.

I bet the donor of said jackets would be pretty entertained by the scrum that has developed over them.

They're used sack sportcoats, people. Get over it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

I don't mean to single out the hyakku's post, but I'm kind of confused by all these reactions... I wouldn't be happy if the places I go to frequently had a bunch of great things and someone else grabbed them, but still, it's a store, and I don't have claim to anything until I go buy it.

It's disheartening when your favorite places get cleaned out, but there will be more stuff next week, and the week after, and the week after. People will keep getting fatter, dying, or just realizing they can't pull off that blackwatch blazer anymore, and the stores will fill back up with great stuff to thrift. At the end of the day you're buying awesome clothes for a pittance - clothes that people originally paid a great deal of money for. And it's a ton of fun. But let's not get too carried away, they're still only clothes.

3. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

is this available?

4. mainy

mainy Senior member

lol @ people talking about getting a "spot blown" in LA. i bet that store grosses 50k a week. cmoon guys :rotflmao:

5. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

No, sorry. I love this thing. I only had to part with about $5 for it, too. :slayer:

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

"at the risk of being that guy..." :lol:

7. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

I can't even wear the SC's and have 0 interest in them besides being able to proxy or trade them. I'm cool with people flipping, trading, ebaying, scheming, etc. I'm cool with people doing whatever they want and sharing info, but why would you go around posting the block of spots? Even a simple, "Yea spot in West LA had these anyone in the area PM me" is significantly better than, "Head down to X Blvd where I've lined up everything for you"

Looking back, my post looks mad, and granted it is, but it's not as serious to me as it is flabbergasting. I can't understand why someone would choose the best (or one of them) GW in the area, post the address and line up finds there. There's nearly a ten page discussion about how a show on the Oxygen network is going to "ruin" thrifting (whatever that means), I think venting over a favorite spot being posted in probably the most prominent thrifting thread on the internet isn't that insane. I guess I should use italics instead of caps more or something, all well though, don't really care, that's too much work formatting.

In any case, what's done is done, there are other spots and the sun shines tomorrow. Still though man, what the hell was the thought process there? :confused:

Edit: And that store likely grosses a lot more on good weeks lol, which is why I can't imagine someone from the area wanting more, well qualified traffic -_-.

8. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

Look, I walked into a Goodwill, saw some jackets I wish fit me but didn't. Rather than walk out, I gathered them up, took some pics, and put them back on the rack. That's why they were together, gathered in one spot. I'm happy that someone on the thread saw the post and was able to benefit. If they would have still been there tomorrow morning I would have bought them up for the proxie requests I got. That Goodwill is not a secret. It's on one of the most trafficked streets/areas in the whole city. I'm sure everyone on SF who thrifts goes there. I'm sorry you're pissed. That wasn't the intent.

9. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

do you own this place or something?
    should everyone wait for you to go through the new donations before they are allowed to pick through the leftovers?
    damn possessive over a thrift store

10. amadar

amadar Senior member

These are definitely the new model, and I agree, I was flabergasted to see them in a thrift given the fact that they just started production on these but a year or so ago.

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

SWMBO was on her way home yesterday and called from her car (relax/Bluetooth) to tell me that she was meeting with the Office Manager (brings down solid 6 figures annually) when she noticed they were both wearing the same shoes.
    The OM was all like, "OMG, yours look SO much better than mine! These are my favorites and I wear them all the time! Where did you find them?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  12. catside

catside Senior member

No worries. I was there for a day and a half last month and dropped in to that store. Google is our friend.Next time just buy the jackets at this level of quality. If not good for us (I doubt), one of our pros will sell it for you.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

[​IMG] Great pictorial

14. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

Info on Goodwill is readily available to anyone. How is that blowing up anyone's spot?

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

Big thank you to GMMcl and MattR for tipping me off to a great deal on eBay.This community is great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.