• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wow, honestly, I've never been this blunt in this thread, but thanks a ******* lot. I might as well stop hitting that spot for a while. My mind is blown right now. At least you saved me a trip tomorrow morning.
Sorry gmmcl, could've hooked it for those BB shoes especially since they weren't my size but we see how that ended.
Seriously can't believe one of my favorite spots just got publicly molested.
Edit:
AND WHY WOULD YOU GATHER THEM ALL IN ONE SPOT!? I know I'm overreacting right now but seriously man what the ****!?

:lurk: This thread is a trainwreck.

I bet the donor of said jackets would be pretty entertained by the scrum that has developed over them.

They're used sack sportcoats, people. Get over it.

Last edited:

ebw1

Reaction score
Wow, honestly, I've never been this blunt in this thread, but thanks a ******* lot. I might as well stop hitting that spot for a while. My mind is blown right now. At least you saved me a trip tomorrow morning.
Sorry gmmcl, could've hooked it for those BB shoes especially since they weren't my size but we see how that ended.
Edit:
AND WHY WOULD YOU GATHER THEM ALL IN ONE SPOT!? I know I'm overreacting right now but seriously man what the ****!?

I don't mean to single out the hyakku's post, but I'm kind of confused by all these reactions... I wouldn't be happy if the places I go to frequently had a bunch of great things and someone else grabbed them, but still, it's a store, and I don't have claim to anything until I go buy it.

It's disheartening when your favorite places get cleaned out, but there will be more stuff next week, and the week after, and the week after. People will keep getting fatter, dying, or just realizing they can't pull off that blackwatch blazer anymore, and the stores will fill back up with great stuff to thrift. At the end of the day you're buying awesome clothes for a pittance - clothes that people originally paid a great deal of money for. And it's a ton of fun. But let's not get too carried away, they're still only clothes.

Last edited:

Samuel Smith

Reaction score

is this available?

hyakku

Reaction score

:lurk: This thread is a trainwreck.
I bet the donor of said jackets would be pretty entertained by the scrum that has developed over them.
They're used sack sportcoats, people. Get over it.

I can't even wear the SC's and have 0 interest in them besides being able to proxy or trade them. I'm cool with people flipping, trading, ebaying, scheming, etc. I'm cool with people doing whatever they want and sharing info, but why would you go around posting the block of spots? Even a simple, "Yea spot in West LA had these anyone in the area PM me" is significantly better than, "Head down to X Blvd where I've lined up everything for you"

Looking back, my post looks mad, and granted it is, but it's not as serious to me as it is flabbergasting. I can't understand why someone would choose the best (or one of them) GW in the area, post the address and line up finds there. There's nearly a ten page discussion about how a show on the Oxygen network is going to "ruin" thrifting (whatever that means), I think venting over a favorite spot being posted in probably the most prominent thrifting thread on the internet isn't that insane. I guess I should use italics instead of caps more or something, all well though, don't really care, that's too much work formatting.

In any case, what's done is done, there are other spots and the sun shines tomorrow. Still though man, what the hell was the thought process there? :confused:

Edit: And that store likely grosses a lot more on good weeks lol, which is why I can't imagine someone from the area wanting more, well qualified traffic -_-.

Last edited:

s_allen_p

Reaction score

Edit:

Look, I walked into a Goodwill, saw some jackets I wish fit me but didn't. Rather than walk out, I gathered them up, took some pics, and put them back on the rack. That's why they were together, gathered in one spot. I'm happy that someone on the thread saw the post and was able to benefit. If they would have still been there tomorrow morning I would have bought them up for the proxie requests I got. That Goodwill is not a secret. It's on one of the most trafficked streets/areas in the whole city. I'm sure everyone on SF who thrifts goes there. I'm sorry you're pissed. That wasn't the intent.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edit:

do you own this place or something?
should everyone wait for you to go through the new donations before they are allowed to pick through the leftovers?
damn possessive over a thrift store

amadar

Reaction score

These didn't come out this long ago, how do you donate it to the thrift that fast? I know, I know, people die every day. How do their families get stuff to the thrift that fast?
I initially thought these were going to be vintage strawfut's, the one's the recent model is based on, but these look like the new model. I've seen the vintage, but not the new one's yet (and I live right down the road from the factory!).

These are definitely the new model, and I agree, I was flabergasted to see them in a thrift given the fact that they just started production on these but a year or so ago.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SWMBO was on her way home yesterday and called from her car (relax/Bluetooth) to tell me that she was meeting with the Office Manager (brings down solid 6 figures annually) when she noticed they were both wearing the same shoes.
The OM was all like, "OMG, yours look SO much better than mine! These are my favorites and I wear them all the time! Where did you find them?"

Last edited:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Look, I walked into a Goodwill, saw some jackets I wish fit me but didn't. Rather than walk out, I gathered them up, took some pics, and put them back on the rack. That's why they were together, gathered in one spot. I'm happy that someone on the thread saw the post and was able to benefit. If they would have still been there tomorrow morning I would have bought them up for the proxie requests I got. That Goodwill is not a secret. It's on one of the most trafficked streets/areas in the whole city. I'm sure everyone on SF who thrifts goes there. I'm sorry you're pissed. That wasn't the intent.

No worries. I was there for a day and a half last month and dropped in to that store. Google is our friend.Next time just buy the jackets at this level of quality. If not good for us (I doubt), one of our pros will sell it for you.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SWMBO was on her way home yesterday and called from her car (relax/Bluetooth) to tell me that she was meeting with the Office Manager (brings down solid 6 figures annually) when she noticed they were both wearing the same shoes.

lol8[1].gif
Great pictorial

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Info on Goodwill is readily available to anyone. How is that blowing up anyone's spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads