The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Thanks. "It is so choice." ~Ferris Bueller

It really IS a pretty hot color. Turns a lot of heads ifyaknowwhatimean.

Perhaps and I agree with you about the bullet proof diesels although I have never owned one. I know lots of guys who do, however and that's good enough for me.

Thanks. I love it and it is old enough to be fairly simple to work on. When the spirit moves me. :lol:

I'm guessing that what you're considering is actually a 450SL. The big issue with that year is the catalytic converter location under the hood. The heat it puts out tends to bake the car's wiring to crispy critters. Find a late model 560 under $10K (and maybe even around $5K if you're lucky) and enjoy what is arguably the best of the breed. Just be ready to fillerup with premium!

Doctors do seem to have a lot of disposable income and are quite willing to dispose of it.

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the comments, guys. You kept me busy for over an hour!

2. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

and the Thrifty Award for Best New Thrift Thread Poster goes to...
    :fonz: solid hauls from this guy

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

And dibs if it turns out to be a 42R? These SCs have me a little hawt under the collar....

4. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    The 4th down on that list has me all hot and bothered.

5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Seriously, people. Who's going back for these? My list of people in LA who owe me favors is pretty threadbare, but if we don't line someone up, I'm going to start making calls. Those SCs are the balls.

6. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

Ive been enamored w/ J Press for a while but have never owned any. I ran into my 1st J Press at a thrift about 3 weeks ago (I'm in the New Orleans area, deep south so to speak, so wasnt really expecting to see any here) a navy blue plaid/check suit coat or sport coat- got so excited...then spotted a moth hole, then another, then 5 or 6 more...Damn!!! Of course, when looking through the pants I found the match....with even larger, almost dime-sized moth holes...one of only like 2 times I've found matching pants...[​IMG]

Thanks! It is a little long, for me too...(appx 31 BOC).. I dig Southwick as well....about a month ago I thrifted a "classic brown" Southwick, older with some wear, but nice leather buttons and well put together. I wore it to work quite a few times, but its been getting fairly warm lately!

Thanks!! I've been hitting it pretty hard the last month or so, but there's definitely a lot of luck involved (and of course frequent thrifting excursions).

7. mat135ta

mat135ta Senior member

Thanks for the info!

The store is only 2 miles from my home and the jackets are in my size! But my car is still in the body shop... I figured I needed more exercise than more amazing jackets, so I decided to walk to the store and maybe, just maybe, the jackets are still there waiting for me. Long story short, it was a happy ending. I split the haul with another gentleman from StyleForum, who was very nice and generous. I grabbed the C&C and one of the SAB jackets and he grabbed some of the other jackets. There are a few nice BB tweed jackets left in the store if anyone is still interested.

8. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Great haul at one of my honey pots today. These pictures are generally terrible. I realized there's a spot on my lens that shows in every photo.

Ties were a dollar, scored a thick woven Holland and Sherry with fishies. Also on display is my new, terribly constructed light box. Definitely will have to make a different one with a box whose base color is white and has a less rectangular form.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of things had red tags, which indicated they were a dollar. Found an XL green cotton Pringle sweater in the mix.

[​IMG]

Stepped over to the button down shirts, snagged a 2XL Barbour Country Tattersall (my first Barbour anything) in very good condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, the heartbreaker....RLPL gingham.....

[​IMG]

MEDIUM.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

DAMAGED.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mean, this is a textbook case as to why people donate baller status shirts like this. I paused for a minute and bargained with the volunteer for a salvage title. She knocked it down to a super reasonable price, worth it for the buttons and to turn the fabric into some fresh summertime pocket squares. This is the first RLPL piece I've EVER seen. I don't know where these are sold locally, as I didn't see any at Neiman's last time I stopped by. I realize the reason for the hype now and will be hawking some pieces on eBay. My only question is does this particular RL label have a slim fitting cut? This shirt, despite being a medium, is a tent.

And if you've read this far, I DONE GOT SETWELL. Love these things.

[​IMG]

Edit: Also snagged this Drakes tie from zebay for a song:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110830560278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

9. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    [​IMG]

10. MattR

MattR Senior member

Ugh, and that's a great gingham, too. Maybe turn it into a pocket square?

11. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Wow, SF-worshipped brands and a NWT Acne sport coat? What strange place do you hit that has coveted SW&D NWT stuff from last season? [​IMG]

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

The fabric on that one is amazing, but the gorge is really low

13. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

:fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:

14. valium

valium Senior member

i also got a NWT Costume National made in italy wool/cashmere jacket on monday.kinda less fun posting stuff people accusing me be someone else but since you mentioned it. got it at value village $49.99 and it was half day...retail around $900 i think?

[​IMG]

15. valium

valium Senior member

oh yes today a Loro Piana dress shirt $7.99 a Brunello Cuccineli dress shirt $9.99 and a vintage Bulova Oceanographer (works!) for $10.00 (she was gonna charge me five,but she said because it was big she would have to charge me double the price of the other watches in the case)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.