Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yeah, that's the entire point of them. Though the heel tap infestation on that shoe makes me think that the previous owner had a pronation issue or something along those lines- one leg a bit shorter than the other maybe?

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

What the others said...and the reason you've never seen it is because you're left coast.

In New England we see occasional J Press stuff in the thrifts, it's very nice. I have a couple shirts and a lovely grey herringbone SC bought off a fellow thrift thread poster I met in person (in a Starbucks not many blocks from Hahvahd Yahd, actually) and I've consigned a very vintage but fantastic unlined linen coat to Nataku on eBay (sorry, Klobber, 44L or 46L before I realized it was your size). This and Andover Shop are the top ancient-but-awesome trad stuff we see here (and Mr Sid stuff)...never, ever see Oxxford but we have this!

3. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Deets on this? (Even if the tux is my size, I'm sure I can't afford it, so I don't need those deets.)

4. catside

catside Senior member

Please do add the number to the spreadsheet.

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Thnx for JPress info guys - checked em out. Not bad looking.

Woof, that is big. I reckon you could easily sell that for $1K.

6. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

After those incredible posts (sport coats, Mainy's haul, and the Brioni tux ) I feel inadequate as well, but I started this post an hour or so ago (got distracted w/ kids etc.), so I'll throw it up:

Wanted to post some of last weekend's finds earlier in the week, but its been a busy one for me(plus I'm slow with taking pics etc.)

All (except the Harris Tweed, I'm still on the fence on keeping that one, although I'm in the "deep south", so the opportunity to wear a heavy tweed is is not very often- it was 78 today!- but if interested let me know) are available for trade or for right about cost + shipping (plus maybe a buck or so)if anyone is interested, otherwise may be going to the bay or to friends/relatives.

My sizes if anyone is interested in trading- 40-42R (19-20" shoulders), 16.5 x 33/34 shirts, 34-36W, 30ish L pants

PM me if you want more detailed measurements

Southwick (for Mark Shale) Tweed SC, light greyish w/ brown windowpane, (appx 20" shoulders) labeled 40R

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty sweet Harris Tweed for Nordstrom/Broadmoor & Pike(brownish green w/ light purple stripes) , appx 19.5" shoulders, labeled 41R

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Armani (I think its real, someone tell me if otherwise) Wool Shirt (again, have almost no opportunity to wear a wool shirt, plus I snagged a Pendleton blackwatch a while back) , large

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next couple are for the larger guys if interested:

Oxxford clothes shirt w/ FC, 17-36 (Made by hand superfine 200 cotton; light wear, a little fading) Nice MOP buttons, one has been replaced but there is still a spare)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pal Zileri 18.5 x 36 pale yellow shirt

[​IMG]

Zanella 90% wool 10% cashmere model, (only 2 pleats!), thicker & softer material than the normal thin
    ones I have seen (have a pair my size in those), charcoal w/ light gold pin stripes. Appx. 38.5 x 32 (+ @ 1.5 w/ cuff) - no size tag

[​IMG]

Also, picked up the following during the week which I'm keeping:

• Zegna Tie
    • Like new brown Trafalgar leather belt
    • Appears to be recent Samuelsohn Super 110's Navy Blazer in my size-will be my new daily wear one- missing 1 front button though- anyone got any spare Samuelsohn buttons lying around?[​IMG]

7. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Well I have always been fascinated by Oxxford clothes. I have owned their suitings etc in the past and they are top notch. Never owned their shirts though - am curious to see the made in USA. I always thought Kiton made a lot of Oxxford stuff (not the suits obviously), may be wrong about that though..........

8. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow....... :slayer:

That's an amazing buy! Good luck with them on eBay, I know there are a lot of larger guys looking for clothing. I've sold several 50 R items at pretty good prices.

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

Yeah, I just sold that NWT HF suit that was a 50XL and it had a lot of people watching it

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This made me laugh so hard.

12. tben

tben Senior member

A wonderful member traded me a nice staple J. Press shirt a couple of weeks ago and its pretty nice. I have been passing on two J. Press suits at the same spot for about two months because they have some shine but I remember someone posted a link on how to get the shine out? Do you mind posting that again so I don't have to go back 183,343 post to retrieve it? Thanks in advance!

13. MattR

MattR Senior member

This is a really nice haul. I'm not one for french blue, but that Oxxford is probably very well constructed. And I have to say I dig the Southwick (of course it will be too long for me :embar:).

14. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I say this once a month...Southwick is way under-rated. I have three of their suits now and they are great.

15. MattR

MattR Senior member

I've been trying to find a Southwick anything in my size for a looooong time. Last time I got close, hole in the left shoulder :fu:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.