Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drewtronius

drewtronius Senior member

Thanks man, I was questioning if the tag was significant though haha

2. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Great looking topcoat, looks like it fits really well.

Nothing too great today:

PRL Woodsman Workshirt in Tartan Plaid with Patch Pockets (XL):

[​IMG]

Canali Light Blue with Brown Dress Shirt (MOP buttons) (17)

[​IMG]

Two average ties that look nice:

Facconable (yellow with blue dots) & Brooks Brothers Makers (textured blue):

[​IMG]

Passed on:

White Turnbull & Asser Shirt - Had a monogram. My understanding is that these are rather hard to remove without showing - anyone had a different experience?

Ancient Ivory Cable Knit Sweater for Charvet - Riddled with various food stains.

Viyella Shirt (XL) - Made in USA (wool/cotton combo, brown windowpane design)

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

My favorite tie is my Brooks hunter green silk knit. Not quite as dark as that, but pretty much the same idea.

Had a great day on ties today- 6 good ones, 3 regular and 3 bow ties. As well as a pair of trousers and a nice black leather bag. The ties are already put up, so no pics. The bag was made by Jack Georges, who I've yet to research. Made in the US, and the leather feels nice, so I'm quite happy.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

4. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Man.... no one has found the good shit for a long time. I hope you're all out thrifting, because rich people don't stop dying.

Maybe Klobber is just finding all of the Kiton and other god tier and not posting....

5. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

7. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Nope, been through a lean "super high end" patch lately. Scoring the mid level of the "upper tier" of mens brands, i.e. Barbera, Zegna and the like.

Picked up a Zegna Couture jacket a few weeks ago, probably bragworthy but it is an orphaned jacket, so not bragworthy. I have been searching for those pants like a desperate MF though...

8. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

uhh what? Have you not been paying attention to the last two pages man lol? Hermes ties, PRL Leather Bombers, NWOT Ferragamos, etc. I seriously think we get spoiled by this thread. Kiton and Brioni aren't the only quality things out there. I mean yes they are expensive, but some of the things found in the past few pages are likely equal in value or more valuable than their equivalent Kiton / Brioni counterparts (the ties for one).

9. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Gucci double monks. These threw me for a loop. The font of the sole looks slightly off, and there's not "R" symbol as there usually is. So, the only conclusions I could come to are: 1. they are old; 2. they are fake; 3. they are women's. I picked them up because the quality overall just seemed too good to be fake.

Somebody please tell me these are Tom Ford era - I've never been able to write Tom Ford in any of my eBay listings before!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up, Scottish cashmere sweater made for B. Altman stores. Fits pretty well.

[​IMG]

Charming Vineyard Vines yellow cord shorts:

[​IMG]

And finally, since there have been a few briefcases posted, I remembered I still had a project. Cole Haan case, made in the USA back when Cole Haan was actually a respectable company. Found it in the backwoods of Georgia in a small thrift store I have pretty good luck in pretty much every time I go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Please confirm for me that this is a sportcoat and that I will not soon be of a Klobber-state-of-mind when I return to GW to desperately scour the racks for pants that were never there in the first place. The buttons and the pattern, though, lead me to believe that this 41 R is in fact a coat of the highest sport order, buuut I am most likely incorrect and will thus be spending my Friday evening at Goodwill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

Great haul, today!

BOUGHT:

Three pair of Diesel jeans

Two pair of 7 for All Mankind jeans

Bobby Jones polo

Tommy Bahama silk shirt

Bullock and Jones tie (made in France ...odd?)

Giorgio Armani tie

and

Seigo tie

LEFT:

Collection of Brooks Brothers shirts

Brooks Brothers multi-colored houndstooth SC (size 46 L)

Donna Karen shirt (made in Hong Kong; looked cheap)

Pair of women's 7 for All Mankind jeans (size 29)

Three pair of Zanella slacks (size 40)

Tricots St. Rafael sweater and a polo

Lamborghini hoodie (didn't know this was a clothing brand... worth going back for?)

NWT Greg Norman poly polo

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Hmmm... they are just about my size....depending on how they run size wise and if that is US sizing....[​IMG]

13. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

BB GF looks like a nailhead type pattern - 50/50 it is a Sport Coat. I err slightly to the the suit side though.

Talking of outrageous fakes, saw a pair of Louis Vuitton sneakers. So utterly fake that the makers plastered Nike features on there as well - they look like white Nike sneakers complete with LV monogram design (on leather I presume) on the front :facepalm:. I guess the fakers wanted to have a double brand :lol:

14. catside

catside Senior member

This one is difficult. Can go both ways. My instinct says suit.

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Thats a good haul right there. I hope the Diesel jeans fit you - I personally love Diesel.

Your previous photo - good on you for posting. You an Armani man - show some pics of your thrifted Armani's as well. I did not comment on your photo mainly because I like being positive and upbeat - but it is hard for me to be that way about cardigans :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.