The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Yeah, the shoulders are about a half an inch big. I figured no one beyond SF would ever notice so hey, might as well go for it.

2. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I'm still reeling from the Cucinelli that some obscenely lucky member received for a song.

I'd be more than happy to send nice stuff to anyone I've already traded with or have exchanged PMs with in anticipation of possibly getting something else in return. That said, I don't know if I could cast off a $3,000 MSRP jacket as this new thrifting obsession has helped me through the lean times at work. I don't know where many of you are at financially, as even though I love my job, I am not compensated greatly for it.

3. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    +1

I love to enhance my wardrobe, really enjoy speaking/trading with MOST[​IMG] of you outside of the thread, and love the aspect of trading, but sometimes its nice to hit eBay or other outlets to make a little extra money. Granted some of that money goes into buying more clothing for myself, but it also goes towards groceries, gas, paying back college loans, and other lively errands, etc. etc. etc...

4. MattR

MattR Senior member

Ha, I don't disagree at all with that sentiment. Like I said, looks good!

5. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Thanks Matt!

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

Agree with all of this about BR (some of it is actually pretty good) but cannot agree about Rush...

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Regarding Rush:

I heard their self-titled for the first time when I was about 14 years old. Blew my mind.

[​IMG]

8. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I'm between the first and the latter group. I'd love to trade for stuff, but I'm not worthy, as it were, and it ain't for lack of trying--I hit a minimum of three thrifts a day, every day. While I get a decent haul (and who'd keep it up if they never found anything), the Pendleton wool shirts and HF suits and AE PA's and HT SC's and BB OCBDs, etc. that I come across aren't going to light anyone's fire around here. I've tried to be respectful since hitting this site regularly a couple months back and not posted a photo of anything, although the Brioni SC that just came back from the cleaners might qualify, save for a snag near the end of a sleeve (first Brioni jacket I've found in three years of seriously hitting it). I don't think anyone needs to see the Bruno Magli loafers I found the other day, although it was a nice score for me. I'll definitely post the next NWOT Pendleton Mackinaw or barely worn Alden NST's or gently used Edwin Clapp captoes with spade soles, circa 1946, I find, but such wowsers come around, for me, maybe three times a year.

So what's a never-found-Purple-Label, never-found-Kiton, once-in-awhile-find-shell guy like me supposed to do? I don't think it's cool to use this thread as a sales outlet, and I don't want to piss anyone off by PM'ing to ask, hey, is that available (Klobber, BTW, has been very cool in that regard, even though we haven't made a deal). Do I have to make my bones, as it were, with a few fantastic finds, and if that's the case, should I fake it by posting stuff I bought new but pretend I found at GW or SA?

FWIW, and from a newcomer's perspective, I don't think the genie can go back in the bottle--this thread, from what I can tell, has been permanently infiltrated by flippers, and having gone back and read quite a bit, but not all, of the thread, that's too bad. There is nothing wrong with flipping--I do it myself to feed the habit--but I can understand why folks get upset by those who post anything saleable. In a perfect world, only the cream would get posted, but also in a perfect world, eBay would get its act together so flippers wouldn't be forced elsewhere. Sorry for being long-winded and having no real answers.

9. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

First up, here are the two crappy cell pics. I will still proxy for this, but the location this is at is about 1.5 hours from me, so I'll need at least a deposit so I know you're serious. Label pic is pretty much true color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up, a heartbreaker for me. I found this in a Goodwill Boutique. I'd been looking for a POW in my size for a long time. Excitedly, I slipped one arm in - good so far. Next arm, like 4 inches too short. I guess the previous owner was an amputee? Anyhoo, I talked them down from their original $50 asking price to $15, willing to see if I could lengthen the sleeve. Well, I got it home, took the sleeve lining apart and there's only about another inch or two. I think they can be lengthened to about 22". Marked 39R, pants let out to about a 33"-34". I can provide measurements if there is interested.

I'm offering this for free to anyone that can use it. Be it for your son, a soldier that lost his arm in the war, etc. All I ask is that it goes to a good home. I'll even pay for shipping to get it there, within the US.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, the Boss pants from yesterday, better pictures. These fit me well enough, but the pleats just kill it for me. Only looking for trades here.

Waist: 32”
    Total length: 38.5”
    Rise: 12”
    Inseam: 29”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

Heck yeah. In the last three weeks, I think I've paid a total of like $20 for the following BR goods: a pair of chinos that fit great, a dark patterned buttonup shirt, and two 100% lambswool v-necks, in charcoal and black, that are soft, warm, comfortable, and presentable. Also gotten a couple J. Crew polos for like $4 each. Didn't brag about 'em because they're just stuff to wear day-to-day, but I like 'em just fine.

11. w00tah

w00tah Well-Known Member

I like finding day to day clothing. :embar:
    Recently found a NWT Fred Perry long sleeved pique cotton polo.

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

^What the hell is your avatar? Been meaning to ask :D

13. w00tah

w00tah Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

14. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

found a couple cool items recently (all in my size, or close enough):

Zanella Flat-front (aka 2 pleats) wool trousers w/small check pattern + Hickey Freeman brown pinstripe flannel trousers (possibly reverse orphans):
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers heavyweight wool/cotton flannel workshirt (never even knew these existed):
    [​IMG]

EZ mainline suit, navy blue:
    [​IMG]

EZ Su Misura dark navy / black (i can never tell the difference) blazer with chrome buttons and surgeon's cuffs: (once i got it home and took the pics, i realized it's a bit on the shiny side, but not as bad as the picture suggests. thinking of returning it)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

15. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

From Yahoo News: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-person-made-10-000-ebay-last-163100368.html

In these tough economic times, it's crucial to find new and creative ways to earn money. One of the top ways to make some spare cash is by selling items on eBay, the world's largest online marketplace.

Before starting my venture, I searched online for the closest thrift shops to my house and then visited each of the nearest five. When I first started this venture, I would just buy a whole bunch of random items that looked appealing, and then attempt to sell them on eBay for profit - this method obviously didn't work. One of the keys to becoming profitable was investing in a smartphone with Internet access. Once I had that, I could instantly search the completed similar items on eBay while I was still inside a thrift store deciding what items to buy.

What I discovered is that some of the best items to sell are vintage sports jerseys. Most thrift stores have a section set aside for sports jerseys, and you'll likely have to dig through a pile of gently used high school and college jerseys just to find a few rare gems buried underneath.

From my experience, I found that thrift stores price "old jerseys" very low because of their slightly worn, vintage appearance. For example, I found a Champion-brand vintage Chicago Bulls jersey from a local thrift store for $2 and I was able to sell it on eBay for $35. I also found an old New York Rangers Brian Leetch jersey for $5, and I was able to flip it for a $50 profit on eBay. I made sure to search the items online on my smartphone while I was still inside the thrift store, to make sure these were items that sell for decent money on eBay.

It's not quite as simple as finding a two dollar item at a thrift store and flipping it for $20 on eBay, as you have to keep in mind a variety of fees that will cut into your bottom line. When all is said and done, approximately 10-15% of your overall profit will go to eBay and Paypal fees.

You also have to remember to charge enough to cover shipping costs, and keep in mind small expenses that add up like gas money to drive to the thrift stores and the post office when you ship your items out. Packaging costs such as tape, boxes and envelopes, is another key consideration for mapping out your expenses.

Once you have the items that you want to sell, there's a few things you can do to make them more appealing online. One of the things I did was to offer free shipping on my items, because eBay boosts you up in the search results when a seller does that. Since I was mostly selling vintage sports jerseys, the shipping on these items was only $3 or $4, so it was worth eating the shipping cost in order to get boosted in search results.

There's no such thing as a get-rich-quick scheme that will work on eBay, as this method does take some hard work and a little research. My year-end tally was $24,000 in sales, minus $7,000 in shipping fees, $4,000 in inventory costs (items purchased from the thrift stores), and approximately $3,000 between eBay and Paypal fees - making my overall profit close to $10,000. As you can see, the shipping fees, eBay and Paypal fees, and inventory costs, were extremely significant, so you'll need to keep that in mind before getting started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.