Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I find this approach refreshing - you see limited potential in your size, and rather than slum it out last minute bids on eBay, you keep yourself calibrated with picking whatever works. I would be kind of dissapointed if I found out you were the winning bidder on a likely thrifted Kiton suit for $700.

Well, I got a Banana Republic cotton sport coat with peak lapels the other day. I looked great in it, but I felt kinda iffy about it and was almost going to put it back on rack (I dont usually consider myself a brandwhore, but there is a chance I am teetering on the edge of actually being one). When I relayed my doubts to my wife, rather than agree with me, she flipped out and said she would ban me getting any high end gear if I did not take it. Well I took it, and worn it twice this week so far. In retrospect, she was right and I was putting brand before item. I will post pics of me in it, it looks pretty dang decent.

Indeed, I am listening to 2112 right now as I type this :slayer:

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oh, maybe I should have waited around for your reply....[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW...Yes, those are Florsheim Imperials in Shark Skin.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

3. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

This thread has officially become the perfect combination of all of my passions: Thrifting, menswear, and Rush. Now if I can just get that YYZ bass part down.

4. mainy

mainy Senior member

damn too much bitching. less bitching more finds. if this thread needs any rule at all, it's: you aren't allowed to make a post without posting a picture of some new cool stuff you found.

today i found a 2 button tweed polo sportcoat. 39r but fits like a 38. super slim. amongst other things, but that was the coolest. too bad it's still too big for me.

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Quote:
    Where's your picture?

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. plei89

plei89 Senior member

Hey you broke your own rule!

7. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

A sub rule should be if you find something your size, wear it for all to see - show us some pics of you wearing your outstanding thrifted gear.

8. mainy

mainy Senior member

did i ever post about the time i found 6 NWOT pairs of cesar attolini napoli dress pants?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man those were nice. one of my better finds. but before i really posted in this thread. so enjoy this throwback to a year ago guys!

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Even better, sell it on e-bay to a teabagger who thinks that they'll make a killing melting down the miniscule amount of gold in it. Just like those 'collectors' coins, you can make a lot of money from the perception of value where very little actually exists.

Just post it as, "Italian Men's Tie made with REAL GOLD! 24k 23k 18k 16k karat!" or something.

10. dblb48

dblb48 Well-Known Member

11. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

Alas, a cobbler I am not.

Good find! A satchel/briefcasey thing is tops on my list of wanted stuff. (I also want to find a basic solid suit that fits, so that I can then create some excuses to wear it. I guess I'm not the only one. It's just, my workhorse suits have shrunken in the closet over the past couple of years — and the moths found one of them pretty tasty, it looks like.)

Oh, and I would guess she left a bill and a receipt in the bag. ;)

12. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Score!! I found a remarkably similar one of these that was my first ever bag find awhile back, and I absolutely love it. Such an awesome bag. Here's mine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was previously owned by a nice lady who shopped at Ann Taylor Loft and used Comcast. Don't ask me how I know. [​IMG]

13. tben

tben Senior member

I am going to do this because I like you guys and I want to be apart of the crew.

For all of you that said this double breasted was outdated, I don't really care. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Clearer picture: The sleeves look a little longer here but they aren't, I had to adjust as seen in picture 1 and 3.
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah forgot, all thrifted:
    Blazer HF-From Mexicutioner
    Tie Etro
    Square 100% Silk Made in Italy (no other marking don't really care)
    Shirt No Makers Marking
    Pants BB

14. MattR

MattR Senior member

I like this color combination, and I think a DB looks good on you. Is it just the pic or are the shoulders a bit big?

15. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Find an alterations person at a store like K & G that takes outside alterations (clothing not sold at K & G) and have the side seams taken in a bit to make it more fitted through the middle. Not too much. You'll be astounded at how good it will look. Nice find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.