The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

Thought so. Hence the spoiler, the disclaimer, and the acknowledgement that this horse may have already expired and does not need continued abuse from the likes of me.

2. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

No, I just want you to make it into a pair of shell cordovans in 10C......

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

3. MattR

MattR Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Always glad to see people looking out for one another, haha.

4. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Would have preferred Rush 2112, Overture and The Temples of Syrinx. Arguably the best rock songs ever.

5. MattR

MattR Senior member

This is true. But it would probably confused Brian a lot :D

6. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

One of the fringe benefits of having lived in Italy is that I learned the distinctive way that Italian write. That was especially handy when I realized that the listing for this "Anna Matuorro Napoli" tie:

[​IMG]

is actually an Anna Matuozzi tie and I got it for a song. Almost got outbid at the last second but I snagged it just for the story.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

8. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Noticed tonight that my local Savers stores are making the spring transition to short sleeves and shorts. Might be time to go on hiatus until fall.

Also, posting in the hopes that the sizes now listed in my signature can make it into Klobber's rotation. I wish I had the kind of luck some on the thread have, but I usually only find four or five suits, shirts or ties that are tradeworthy a year, and nothing ever in my size. :plain:

9. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I can't believe I actually picked this up, but it will make a very nice FU garment.

I'm posting it here to ask for collective wisdom: I've read that the Zegna Made in Swiss pieces are exactly the same quality as the Made in Italy, correct?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ocooney

ocooney Senior member

The live version of Closer to the Heart off of Different Stages is a part of that argument. And I'm a big 2112 fan.

11. MattR

MattR Senior member

I was under the impression it depends more on what line is coming out of Switzerland. I had one from their MTM line (Taglio Exclusivo), which was very quality stuff.

12. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

I honestly think its better. Their couture and MTM lines are made there along with their Tom Ford and Versace stuff.

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Wow. A shout out for me? :lol:

Seriously, after a year's worth of hard core thrifting for myself and a few select family members, I've learned that the things that I REALLY want for my wardrobe are hard won despite a circuit of between 20 to 30 stores. I've had to come to terms with the fact that, as I so inelegantly put it a few weeks ago, there's a large contingent of diminutive folks who like to shop at thrift stores, have moved to my neck of the woods. Quality clothing in my size is rare. I have recalibrated my expectations regarding what I find acceptable. Early on here at styleforum, I was told that if an item was well made, looked good and fit properly, the label shouldn't matter. Using that philosophy, I've selected items that weren't necessarily brag-worthy but have helped me learn what works for me as well as what most assuredly does not.

Not everything comes from the thrift store but I always make sure that new items come at a steep discount. D1 Dockers, all cotton cardigans and shawl collar sweaters for $15. JAB dress shirts at buy one, get 2 free. I will say that I will not buy any MORE shirts from JAB at those prices as I find that they don't meet the standard of CT and BB shirts. This is how I learned. OTOH, I dare anyone to look at my dark red knit tie and tell me it's an Etienne Aigner.

The occasional Kiton or Brioni shirt wouldn't get thrown out of the bed for eating crackers, however.

I highly recommend for those who have the connection/processing speed and power to go to their profile and change from the default posts per page to 100 posts per page. It's less daunting. Viewing on cell phones might slow down, however.

Okay, so today I finally hit two Goodwills much farther south of me that I visit very infrequently. The first was a complete bust. Stafford city ifyouknowhatimean. The second had marginally better finds but either not my size or missing the pants, etc. I moseyed over to the luggage, actually rehearsing in my mind how I'd be typing that I looked through the piles of crap only to turn around and come face to face with a piece of ...

...Samsonite!

:cloud:

Demoralized, I made my way back to the front of the store to look over the office furniture and sitting on a table was this bag. A

FILSON

it was not!

What it was, was a Jack Georges Nevada Collection Double Gusset Top Zip Briefcase.
    I searched while I was in the store and found Jack Georges pieces at 4 figure MSRP's. This was not one of those. It was plenty nice enough for me, though! :nodding:

MSRP: $330.00
    OUR PRICE: $199.99

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was previously owned by a nice lady who shopped at Ann Taylor Loft and used Comcast. Don't ask me how I know. :sly:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

14. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

key word: arguably

:happy:

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

nice, i need these. like, i actually need some good suit bags for a few suits and jackets i just got.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.