The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Just to be clear, you're talking about the underutilized trading post thread right. http://www.styleforum.net/t/104393/official-thrifters-trading-post#post_1782670 If not, is there some other trade/flip thread I haven't found?
    Personally I recommend only reading the first 500-800 posts. At some point after that the posting rate exploded and the consistent quality went down. While there is, as everyone points out, an awful lot of education in the rest, I think reading the whole thing is burdensome and there is a point of diminishing returns. There should also probably be several other essential ranges of posts that all should read out of everything since 800 or so - stuff like Nat's Polo Bear sweater. Those things just become part of the community knowledge of the thread, the stuff of inside jokes. Klobber's reference in his post to reading in 3 min what took him an hour to write as a deliberate call back to his own prof saying he'd read in a night what took the prof 4 years to write. Eventually you know the commu nity call back jokes, but some of the stuff is so far back, you have to be given cliffs' notes. Sorry, I don't have all the references. Maybe after I finish my own dissertation I can go back and do that.

2. Metcarfre

Metcarfre Member

~

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

3. aglass

aglass Well-Known Member

Nice find - now you just have to find the appropriate garments to fill them!

4. vexco

vexco Senior member

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

A big +1. The first 300 pages or so are pretty essential. It's basically the whose who of high end labels to pick up with a few regrettable mixed in. More recent posts are just as important for the reasons stated above. Just be patient, sit down with a cup of hot chocolate (or coffee.....or booze...) and read up. :D

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

In your Signature, post your sizes. Then when I see someone here, I add to document if there is a size to go by. Then you become a homie.

7. GHo

GHo Senior member

wow. that's hawt.

8. GHo

GHo Senior member

does she have 3 legs in this pic?

9. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

+2, as a noob who started lurking @ the 1st of the year I believe, I read the 1st 400 or so, then started reading from about Thanksgiving 2011 to Jan 2012- I ended up going back afterwards and reading the middle part too though! It definitely helps you avoid buying stuff of lesser quality or dime a dozen type stuff. It will also help you figure out what is decent quality staple type items, like BB shirts for office/business wear instead of something else of lesser quality- you may know this already, but learning what brands are of similar (higher) quality by reading it here and then seeing/feeling in a thrift store is extremely helpful, at least it was to me.. (edit: Although some brand preference is a matter of personal opinion, of course)

10. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

I've pretty much stopped buying anything that doesn't fit, so these are the only two worthwhile finds of the last month. A cashmere Borrelli 7-fold, and a pair of loafers with real skins on the uppers. I have no idea who made these shoes, but I think that they're bespoke. There's a name and an address hand-written on the insole of each shoe, but I can't make it out.

[​IMG]

11. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

The thread has really broken up into two groups. The first is largely trying to determine relative worth so they know how much they can get for their finds. A guy like Darkmatter7 fits this bill but he was up front about it so that is fine. He is trying to make money, not really engage in any sort of trading system.

The second group is guys like me. I'm not interested in making money off what I find. I found two pair of AE monks for Brian and didn't ask for one cent above the cost and shipping. I'm probably at the extreme because I have an almost complete wardrobe and I'm just happy to help good clothes find a home. Hell, I even offered to send them to Brian for free in return for a trade to be named later.

There are some that float in between but mostly we have flippers or clothing aficionados. My feeling from reading every post in this thread is that it was started by the latter and then taken over by the former.

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Please continue to buy 36S jackets/suits and 28-30 pants. You can be shy and not post them here, just PM me [​IMG]

Everyone starts as someone new, just read this thread (as other have mentioned), find cool things in the thrift stores, take photos, share, repeat. One day you wont be new anymore.

And I just wore the pair of black ones yesterday!! [​IMG] I fall in the middle. I really enjoy thrifting, cleaning shoes, taking the pictures and making giant Megathreads [​IMG] but do it for a reason. 1) trade for stuff that fits me (as nothing I find ever fits me) or 2) sell to make money to buy stuff on ebay that fits me (as nothing I find ever fits me).

13. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Its been one of America's most confusing mysteries.......

14. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

Quote: Hear, hear. If someone is happy with a thrift find, this should be encouraged. On another thread, this one guy got props for not being prejudiced against "inferior" companies' products because they looked good on him, and he in them. To me, this should apply even more for secondhand goods.

To address one rationale for passing up, for example, Jos A Bank in favor of J Press: if something has already been purchased and donated, you aren't supporting companies that keep manufacturing in the USA whether or not that Goodwill suit is union-made; you're giving the same charity the same $12. If someone finds a Wal-Mart coat at Goodwill and they step out of the dressing room looking like James Bond, however unlikely that may be, my hat's off to them. In the last couple weeks, I've passed up a bunch of ugly Harris tweed and gotten a couple of no-name coats that were interesting and/or well-made and/or fit great. (This is entirely separate from the point that some companies' products actually are inferior — but if you know that and can make it work anyway because you got it at a great price, I think that illustrates well one sense of the word "thrift.")

If someone posts something I think sucks, I'm not going to tell them they suck for having posted it — rather, I'll take advantage of the educational nature of this forum, sit back, and see if someone else can articulate what I didn't like about it besides "OMG the label's green." That way, I improve, and I might be able to better advise or take advice from anyone with whom I may discuss these matters. Maybe at some point I'll be able to contribute constructively.

Am I beating a dead horse? I just read this post and wanted to respond. As you were.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.