The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Also bought three chairs that look for all the world to me like Porsche 914 bucket seats, in black vinyl. They're on 5-point Herman Miller-made chrome spinning bases that are likely each worth more than I paid for the three chairs. I'm going to get them reupholstered in caramel-colored leather and use them in my sunroom.
    Sounds interesting, post pics when they are finished please.

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Fifties Omega gold watch - approx. $15 in flea-market with semi-pro stall vendors. The price was so low I took the chance, then had it checked checked by my watchmaker and found to be genuine and in good working order. Cleaning and new strap added another approx. $30.

[​IMG]

Love it. Well done, Lucky Strike! Is that the watch? If so, keep it on that strap. That's "character."

3. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Love it. Well done, Lucky Strike! Is that the watch? If so, keep it on that strap. That's "character."
    That's the one - I'm lucky (heh) to have a pro jewellery photographer at work, for your viewing pleasure. And the strap was put on it by me - I've had it for a few months now, actually.

4. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Another flea-market find - this is a completely unknown brand (the dial says "Emayer", not "E. Mayer"), as far as I know, probably with some sort of cheap ETA-type movement in it. I really like it, though, particularly the dial. Paid something like $7, and then had it fixed for another $50 or so. [​IMG]

5. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Seven-fold unlined Budd of Piccadilly "Thistlebud" tie, ancient, for a few pounds on ebay. Hopefully more useful than the Holliday & Brown tie that turned out to be about 5 inches wide that I received recently.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I've been in a bit of a thrifting slump lately, and while I didn't have a complete turnaround today, it wasn't bad. Everything I found I can and will use:

• Barry Bricken charcoal flannel trousers
      I can't say enough about them. They're in perfect condition, and fit like they were altered for me. ($2.50--they were 50% off)

• Piaget branded tie, made in Spain so likely by Richel, navy and red print, great hand to the silk (~$2)
    • Breuer woven neat, chocolate field with navy flowers and light blue dots ($1)

• Scott Barber long sleeve casual shirt (~$3)

• Eljo's solid navy linen tie, vintage but in good shape ($1)

Also in the mail today were a pair of $80 Trafalgar braces from norcaltransplant (thanks!) as well as my copy from Amazon of The Suit.

All that and I picked up a cream linen Paul Stuart sportcoat and a black and white Glen plaid Oxxford sportcoat (big thanks KP!), along with a pair of British khaki RL Polo flat front trousers (thanks EM!) from my alterations tailor.

*basking in it all*

Here are the Piaget (anybody know anything about their ties?) and Breuer ties:

[​IMG]

7. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

Please, let's not let this thread die! I've been off in the wilds of East Anglia for the past couple of weeks; not much there, I can assure you (even Bialystok, Poland circa 1993 offered better hunting--and I'm not just talking about the famous bison of Bialowiez). Anyway, I've had a few patches of luck since returning to San Francisco. First off was a great A&S tweed hacking jacket in a forest green and burnt orange plaid ($11 at the Salvation Army), which warmed me up for the shoes that followed: antiqued brown "vero norvegese" cap-toe brogue by Stefano Bi ($7.99 at the Goodwill); split-toe brown lace-up by Sutor Mantellassi ($9.99 at the same store). I also found a pair of unworn womens loafers by Lattanzi for Barneys NY; gorgeous shoes and I must say that once you hold the Lattanzis in your hand you immediately understand what the fuss is all about--everything about them is absolutely assured and perfectly executed; the curve of the sole is just mind-blowing. Anyway, it did cross my mind that iammatt has perhaps been cleaning out his shoe closet (and, if so, thanks, of course, though you'd hope GW could clear $30 for the haul). I also found a great pair of new Adidas Marathon 80 trainers in the grey and safety yellow colorway. I think tomorrow I may go press my luck some more.
    Don't tell me the rest of all y'all have been coming up empty handed!

8. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

All right, I went and visited Spokane last weekend and out of all the thrifts in the whole place I found a really nice sweater, I think merino, by "Comme Ca Ism" (?) Japanese brand - black and gray wide horizontal stripes with a henley/shawl collar. Very unusual and I like it a lot. Also found a really wide thick brown leather belt with bullet loops that barely fits through my APC belt loops but fits fine through my Uniqlo jeans. Fits me well. Total about $16.

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

finally something to report....great being back in civilisation.

went thrifting in London, found a very nice, mod looking Ben Sherman kid mohair jacket for 10 GBP. Will need a little taking in, but looks pretty nice as is...sleeves to come up, shoulders are good, will get a little waist suppression added.

Also found some casual leather shoes - no name to speak of - but picked them up as dummy runs for antiquing project. Brought them back, put them on, decided I really like them, so they will be kept instead. Those were 6 gbp.

Went on to TJ Maxx from there, bought some RL polo chinos for 15 gbp. in 5000 dong time (about 30 cents) the leg will be shortened and theyll fit perfectly.

10. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

in 5000 dong time (about 30 cents) the leg will be shortened and theyll fit perfectly.
    Sir, you are living proof that it's not how much dong you have, it's how you use it!!!!

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Sir, you are living proof that it's not how much dong you have, it's how you use it!!!!

[​IMG]

12. Rampart

Rampart Senior member

Here's my favorite find, I've never seen another like it.. I think it's from the early 90s.. Versace shirt:

[​IMG]

13. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Betty Boop -- she be blue!

My best recent find was a Joseph Homme pinstriped wool jacket, SB, nice peaked lapels, my size. $8.

14. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

Versace really hit his stride in the last few years before his death. His prints at the time were simply amazing--of the highest quality and mixing Pop Art, Baroque, and Classical themes, often all at once. And while he wasn't in any way a tailor, he did imagine innovative ways of cutting; the shirts and pants of the early 90's were really sui generis (and flattering too, if you fit the mold). Sadly, Donatella was all too ready to take the slight turn down the path to vulgarity. I've held on to a handful of the Couture line ties (mostly the ones mocking--or paying homage to!--the classic Hermes scarf print).

15. Rani

Rani Active Member

I managed to score a Victor Victoria jacket at $90 down from $900 and a Kenzo shirt at $30 down from $300 on final clearance at the David Jones Warehouse during a sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.