Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mainy

mainy Senior member

Alright guys I was on vacation but got back a few days ago here's what I've picked up this week so far:

Polo by Ralph Lauren 3/2 three patch pocket cotton navy blazer
    Polo by Ralph Lauren 3/2 Made in Italy three patch pocket unlined wool blazer
    Orvis suede leather jacket
    Allen edmonds vibram sole
    Cole Haan mint USA made peble grain captoes
    Cole Haan NWOB USA made suede penny loafers
    Cole Haan mint USA made suede monkstraps w/ vibram soles
    Salvatore Ferragamo mint brown captoes
    Giorgio Armani brown suede wingtips
    Allen edmonds clifton, vg condition
    Allen edmonds byron, mint
    Brooks Brothers shetland leather button vest
    NWT Polo by Ralph Lauren sweater vest
    Zegna Sport brown zip pullover sweater
    Polo by Ralph Lauren italian Cashmere sweater
    NWT Bill's Khakis shetland sweater
    NWT $345 Armani Collezioni wool dress pants
    Zanella "Bennett" tan, mint
    Filson vintage 4 snap pocket khaki jacket
    Brooks Bros Makers vintage 3/2 patch pocket navy blazer
    Burberry London recent navy blazer
    ZZegna recent sportcoat
    Canali recent sportcoat
    NWT $1500 Canali navy overcoat
    NWT Hugo Boss shirt
    Theory dress shirt
    Brioni mint button down collar shirt
    Ermenegildo Su Misura linen shirt
    Gitman Bros recent plaid l/s shirt
    Luciano Barbera dress shirt
    2x Venenzia dress shirts
    Truzzi Milano button down collar dress shirt
    Polo By Ralph Lauren tan trench coat
    2x Barbour moleskin pants
    Ermenegildo Zegna corduroy pants
    Bills Khakis flat front
    RRL black wool cardigan

Ties: Duchamp London, Isaia Napoli 7Fold, Faconnable self tipped, Ted Baker London, Giorgio Armani, Stefano Ricci, Salvatore Ferragamo, 3x Versace, 4x Canali, Altea, 4x Zegna, 2x Hugo Boss, recent trafalgar braces

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Mainy: that's a great haul! :slayer:
    That's a very solid tie haul! Definitely check back for more goodies. I'd even go as far as to ask a employee or two if they recall the donation/if there was more to it or if there are some sportcoats/suits hanging around in back. The first suggestion would work only if it was a small store. A high traffic chain store wouldn't have a clue unless the donation really stood out (ie: someone ion a yellow Lambo dropped the stuff off).
    :slayer:
    Definitely grab the A&S if it's cheap. I've read that shine on wool can be removed with these techniques: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080207001814AA3wiKX It might be worth a gamble.
    Seriously?! We had one a long time ago. It's buried in the crawl space somewhere. Hasn't been put out in at least 15 years. I may embark on a mission to dig it out this weekend. Had some cool finds today. Nothing clothing related but neat nonetheless. - Sony MDR-7506 Studio Monitor headphones. Professional model. Metal cups. Made in Japan. These are now my home computer headphones. - Sigg Tourist cook set and a brass Svea 123 camping stove inside. - New in Box RCA flat panel HDTV/Digital antenna. Was gonna spring retail for one of these as I want to get the local channels again (just using a Roku w/ Netflix and Hulu Plus right now). $4.99 vs $100+ at Best Buy.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If you get lucky and have one from Atlantic molds is could pull in $300. Check the completeds, its insanity!!

5. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

What, did you tell your "thrifting" stores I'll be gone for a week, hold all the good stuff and I'll come in and pick it up when I get back?

Wow, nice stuff.

6. amnesiacv2

amnesiacv2 Well-Known Member

I hit up the GW on the way home from work and found a fantastic PRL DB SC (how's that for an acronym string?) double vented, with peak lapels. It fit PERFECTLY. And unlike the other DBs I've found it tapered well in the waist. Like, this was the most perfect coat I'd found.

Then I saw a moth hole. Then another. Then six more. FFFFFFUUUUUUUU------

MAYBE worth getting rewoven? Opinions? None of the holes were larger than 3-4mm.

7. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

It's too big for me, but already sold.

8. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Spent the week in Vegas, working at a trade show (ugh). I hate gambling, but love the food there. Stayed at the Trump, too! $104/night off Hotwire, my boss stayed for more at some inferior place (Harrahs?) and anyway, this thread...leave it for a week, wow.

Just a couple rejoinders on stuff that's been posted:

1) U steal from anywhere, you're a douche. The side argument about what thrifts do with their profits doesn't justify stealing. Sheesh. Douche!

2) However, I do donate my extras/don't quite fit/can't flip stuff to my favorite one-off thrifts that employ mostly volunteers (one's cause: runaway kids; the other, a pet shelter)

3)

[​IMG]

4) Klobber strikes again. Who farted? Stay away from his rack if you're in the same store, heh.

5) So I'd planned this giant road map of vegas thrift stores during the one 5-hour patch I was free, even reserved a car. Southwest Airlines decided to delay my flight by six hours, which exploded that scheme. I had to walk through the Venetian and Wynn and Caesars a lot...oh my gosh! There was a Brioni store, Canali store, Loro Piana store...every top shelf brand either had its own storefront or was at the Barney's. Don't get me started on the watch stores (beginning with IWC). Every day. To and from the trade show I was working.

I was given today off now I'm back home, had time to hit a thrift, found a Ricci tie, a Valentino, and a nice J. Press shirt with french cuffs. Fits me. Tag reads that it should run a little big, but I think it was altered.

[​IMG]

9. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

So I set off today to explore my new favorite thrifting area, which, as far as I can tell, is so far untainted by obnoxious flippers. I hit several of my usual places, and the only cool thing I found was this book of Ralph Steadman's art:

[​IMG]

Dejected, I was headed back to the main road to make the trip back home. I saw a sign for a small, local thrift store I'd never seen before on a road I'd never been on before. I figured, 'what the hell, couldn't be worse than anything I've seen today'. Walk inside and it's a beautiful store with lots of nice merchandise. Head directly to the men's clothing, and find this:

Fray for Trillion
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, something to make the day worth it. Look through the suits. Nothing but a Hickey Freeman with Loro Piana cloth, but in a gross color. Walk over to the shoes and notice this mannequin tucked away in the corner wearing a navy blue blazer. "Nice buttons," I said to myself. I took it off the display and...

[​IMG]

It's a Brioni!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Only the second Brioni I've ever found and this thing is fucking sick. Sweet buttons and insanely gorgeous blood red lining. Unfortunately, about 8 sizes too big for me. So, it's available.

Elated, I head to the pants and fined these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pants do have a small stain on the outside. Could probably be removed by a competent dry cleaner. I am including the pants with the coat as a bundle.

I'll get better pictures and measurements tomorrow.

10. amadar

amadar Senior member

All the completed listings I checked for Atlantic molds came in around the $40 mark :eh: I dug mine out of the garage and it is a "Holland Mold"....checked those out and the completed listings show about the same price range....am I missing something here?

11. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Haven't been able to thrift for a while, since I've been sick, but here's some stuff I found from two stores a bit back:

Not sure if SC or Suit Jacket, but it will find a nice home either way. It is the nicest coat I have found, even above the Brionis. Super 150s, but interesting. Double vented, surgeons cuffs, and one of those shades of blue that you aren't sure if you've seen before.
    [​IMG][​IMG],

RLPL, seems to be about 16.5
    [​IMG]

Luciano Barbera, tagged small. WTF is this fabric.... It feels like a mixture of cotton and cloud.
    [​IMG]

Paul Smith, Suit and a half..... what? I found two coats... both market 42
    [​IMG]

I bought it for the hologram
    [​IMG]

But I bought these because they are sexy and in great shape. Also Dolce, size 9.5
    [​IMG]

Also:
    NWT Old England, Paris Shirt
    NWOT Eton Shirt, 15.5 39
    Paul Smith London Shirt, 15.5 39
    Pendleton Shirt, Made in USA
    Thomas Pink, Slim Fitting 15.5 39
    Zegna Pants, Tan, Size 40 I think

Probably some other stuff....

To anyone who pms dibs.... feel free to, but I am so behind on dibs and selling stuff to people it's not even funny, so keep that in mind

EvanDB, when I picked up the RLPL, I was actually hoping it was a 15.5 =(

I really wish I could thrift again.... =(

This weekend, be prepared. I'm going to come back with 10 Super over 9000, 200% Vicuna, Kiton Napoli Sartorial Couture, Triple Vented, Double Canvassed, Brain Surgeon's Cuffs, Suits!

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I've learned that there's a 75% probability that I'll be in Anaheim, CA somewhere around August 3rd through the 5th and staying at the Marriott next door to Disneyland.

The question for me is...

[​IMG]

...or Rewear Warehouse which is three miles from the Hotel? Also Thryft 4 U is just the next block down.

Not looking for any trade secrets but since I'll have some free time while SWMBO is attending meetings (I'm a kept man) do I visit "It's a Small World" or Thrift World?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

13. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

The Brioni is screaming Klobber's name.

14. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

:slayer::slayer:

No offense to any who feel differently, but Disney Land (and World) are for taking the kids. I myself, would enjoy thrifting more. Especially if I were by myself.

15. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

That's made by Castangia — they can fetch a pretty penny if, of course, that's not a suit jacket. I assume Battistionis are more desirable than the mainline I found that nearly nobody asked about (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157629068407786/)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.