Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I went to a couple of stores on the way back from a dr.'s appointment and came up with:

1. Brown suede chukka-type ankle boots on rubber soles for Barneys New York size 11 1/2 D.

[​IMG]

2. Brooks Brothers (probably by Alden) black leather tassel loafers size 9 1/2 D.

[​IMG]

Both are in EXCELLENT condition... I don't get why people throw this stuff out. Really?!? -M-

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

2. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I hear yah. Awesome finds. Could only be better if they were your size.

3. Typhoid Jones

Quote:
    Surprisingly enough, the the brown chukkas fit me quite well. I'm a 10 1/2 C (slightly narrow) and they seem to work. The BB's, on the other had, not a snowball's chance. -M-

4. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Must...resist...those loafers

5. ledude

ledude Well-Known Member

Jimmy Page is a star and we are just satellites. But that's all right.

The Tool cover is maybe one of the only songs whose cover I like even better than the original. Faithful yet original, and rocks so damn hard.

6. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Quote: I'm 99% sure those are Aldens.

7. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Those chukkas are really sexy

8. darkmatter7

Nice! Does anyone know how this stuff compares to Trofeo?

Man, you had a good weekend. Especially for a first timer! I've been doing this a little over a month. My first few times, I came back with a bunch of crap that I thought was great. Congrats! Also... that T&A is drool worthy.

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Quick stop during lunch. Hit ties first, got super excited when I started finding these, since this place is super low traffic and tends to get big hauls or nothing (usually nothing), and this was the first set of good ties I've found there. Moved on and didn't find anything else, so kinda deflated. Oh well, the ties are awesome. I'll keep trying since they might just be slow to get the shirts/suits/SC's out. Sorry for the crappy cell phone/backseat of the car pics, at work.

[​IMG]

Ben Silver, Zegna, Zegna, Zegna

[​IMG]

Arnys Paris, Bernini Beverly Hills house brand (have seen stuff from them before and it seemed nice quality so I picked it up), English maker whose name I meant to note and ask you guys about but of course forgot...I'll edit with it later.

[​IMG]

Baby blue Brooks Bros Golden Fleece polo. First BBGF shirt I've found. My size, but not sure I'll keep it. We'll see after I try it on.

EDIT: Also this...not a thrift find, but an ebay find I'm super pumped about. Don't care if this is a great price or not, I really wanted these bad boys and got them for starting bid, so I'm happy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/22095517842...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1025. Received them yesterday and they're in awesome condition. Now just to figure out wth to rock them with!

10. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Agreed. So bummed they fit him...they're near my size and I'm jonsing for some chukkas.

11. darkmatter7

Quote: I usually don't pick up Bernini, but then again, I'm only looking to flip on menswear. They have Canali and Brioni make a lot of there stuff, but it will have a label saying so. I'd usually pick that up, but it seems like most of their Canali is dated. I've been passing on a bunch of DB or unvented Canali and Corneliani lately.

12. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

The Chukkas are C&J's, right?

13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

People die. It's what we do.

14. Typhoid Jones

Quote:
    They don't have a maker's name in them aside from the "BARNEYS NEW YORK" label on the insole. They are stamped "MADE IN ITALY," though. I checked Barney's web page and I don't think that they are anything from the current season, but otherwise, they are next to new.

Sad, but true.

15. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

had a good couple of trips yesterday and today. found in my size a solid navy Zegna mainline suit, and a Zegna Su Misura tropical wool black blazer with shiny chrome-looking buttons. i also grabbed something you 40L-42L dudes might be interested in:

Polo Ralph Lauren blue label, sport coat, Polo II model. Corneliani tag, tagged size 42L,heavyweight 100% flax. 3/2, dual vents, etc. available.

also: in the first picture it looks like a solid worsted wool orphan, but it's actually a heavily textured (see second picture) flax. definitely not an orphan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i would have crapped myself in the store (or at least pulled a Klobber) if this coat had been my size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.