The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Lol, well that would be great for him? He's been at that GW for two years so making some extra money on the side would be awesome. I don't flip things on eBay, ironically enough I just grab what's sufficient for me and a few guys up here, so if he opened his own eBay account more power to him, I'd even help him learn the valuable brands. As long as I've got a contact for my RLPL, RLBL, Isaia, etc. he can take everything at this point, ive gotten most of what I need out of LA And don't have the time or will to spend hours a day professionally flipping before leaving In a few months. LA thrifter's will just have more comp.

But yea, I don't know why some of you get so worried that workers or someone else are going to steal all your finds working there. They dont have unlimited funds, most people don't want to be bothered, and besides, even if they wanted to its not as if this is part of my livelihood. The risk of him becoming a full time flipper and cleaning out one (of many of my stores) over the next two months Is more than worth the chance at me snagging one of those suits for myself or a suit in that tier that I can trade for.

Had to laugh at the thrifting noobs admonishing me though, then coming up here with hauls of nothing that fit them. :happy: Speaking of, I'll have pics of recent haul after today (I think one or two things are available)

Oh and Nataku, I've got a trade pending with beck, but let me just say nice score on that PRL blazer with him, I'm hoping that we work something out today because im loving that ticker pocket.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

2. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    Does this shirt have MOP buttons and handmade button holes? They have a few levels in RTW shirting.

3. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Just checked. It does not have MOP's and the buttonholes appear to be machined. (If MOP's are your thing, I can throw in a set - I've got a mason jar full of ones I've gutted from thrashed shirts, lol)

Thanks! -M-

4. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    This is smart!! The shirts not my size, I was just interested to know!! Thanks

5. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

that is standard nasvhille attire. go a bit farther down the street and youll find a bevy of affliction and ed hardy t shirts with true religion jeans and boots. :facepalm:

6. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

People I've talked to who work at goodwill say they have to come in on their off day if they want shop there.

7. vexco

vexco Senior member

People who work at the Goodwill's here can't even shop at the store they work at...I remember looking at the woman crazy when she told me that.

8. concealed

concealed Senior member

I found 5 perfect large Charles Tyrwhitt shirts in 18/37 - great basic plaids. this size is bigger than I need, but I am willing to let them go for a reasonable offer ~$25/shirt and you pay shipping.

shoot me a pm if interested

9. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

It's true. They can't shop during their hours. I always wondered how that worked because I figured someone would've eventually just gotten a job at a GW or SA and bought up everything in an area. That's why I'd love for one of them to give me a call and let me know they just put out an RLPL my size on the floor. I know it's highly unlikely, but at this point I'm pretty sure that's the only way I'm finding one in the wild (short of trading or buying it new -_-). I'm just trying to figure out if it's safe for them to do that without them somehow risking their jobs, but the more I think about it I can't see why it would be a problem as i've got a highly specific list of things left I'm looking for that I can't find and all of them know me in one store. I guess the only way to find out is to ask sometime this week when I get a chance, all they can say is yes or no. I'll report back when I get a chance.

Edit: On that note, funny question I've been meaning to ask. Does anyone else form pseudo alliances when thrifting sometimes? I'll be out and sometimes see someone that looks like they know their stuff getting things in their size, and I'll toss hem something and ask them to keep a look out for any Jackets or pants or whatever I'm looking for in my size as they are going through the racks. It's worked out a couple of times for me pretty well lol.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

10. GHo

GHo Senior member

:inlove:

11. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

They had an issue at the Last Chance in Phoenix where ebay flippers were paying employees there to tip them off when high dollar items would come through. Then they would buy up everything. My wife was there last summer, and they now limit how much of one type of item you can purchase ( ie you can't buy more than X number of designer purses).

12. GHo

GHo Senior member

mainy - how do you detect another SF'er in a thrift? just curious?

"Hey, nice finds. You really know fashion... ever heard of SF?" (is it something like that?)

or is it more like this... :paranoia:

13. GHo

GHo Senior member

me.me.me.

Grew up an hour from there. small town - less than 5000 people probably.

interesting find.

14. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

There is one place where the manager keeps some of the better things in a closed cabinet behind the counter while she figures out how to price them. I wouldn't call it an "inside source," but whenever she sees me, she lets me look through it before it hits the floor. At another place, a couple of the cashiers don't charge me for everything I want to buy pretty regularly. I think it's just a being cool / courtesy thing, though.

15. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Really? Was there an article or story about it?

And that Last Chance is scary... :uhoh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.