The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

^^Thanks for the details. I appreciate this sort of info for my travels.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

First a couple of non clothes items, Picked up a replacement for a broken vacuam cleaner, same model, $8, and a camera tripod, $4.

The one on the left is broken, the one on the right is GW

[​IMG][​IMG]

On to clothes, like new pair of black J. Crew flat front cords my size, keeper.

Rest are available, too big for me:

Like new BB 346 button down grayish stripe 16.5 4/5 ... neck measures 17, SLV 25, hardly any wear, still has that new feel.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BB Country Club blue sweater XL, 70% wool, 30% silk, very nice, like new.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Internet running slow, taking too long to upload pictures, will post my first ETRO and a Duchamp tie later.

3. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Grats on the first etro lastdon.

Anyone have an insider at their local thrifts / GWs? Over the past two or so years I've been in so many of them often that I'm pretty cool with a lot of the workers, especially the ones my age (20-29). The other day one started talking to me about my weekend and we got into what I was grabbing and why I'm there so often and so I broke down how its like a 75 - 25 split myself and flipping. I don't think I need to worry about educating him too much (I leave CA in like three months, so if anything he'll be competition for this generation of LA thrifters), but I'm thinking about offering him 20-50 for any RLPL, BL, Kiton, Brioni etc. suits that pass through. I might just do this all across LA, sit back and wait. I wonder if they risk their jobs by doing so? I can't imagine their boss could know if they texted me lol.

The deceit of a thrifter :slayer:

4. catside

catside Senior member

^That is so wrong in many levels. But also how long before they get rid of the middleman?

5. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Maybe Mainy is just playing a prank... :lol:

Really though, here's my finds from the trip - didn't get to post this while down there, but it was worthwhile. I do have a couple of finds from the day we left that are still at home... in particular one eye-bleaching photo of shirts. :hide:

Anyway, going clockwise from the pants:
    Bills M2P 38, genuine Indian madras shortsleeve shirt M, Southern Tide polo L, Vineyard Vines tie with sweet woody station wagon carrying christmas tree... which I realized was a boys tie :fu:, Canali hanger with broken pants bar to use for SC, two Oxxford wishbone hangers (someone trade me a fatty already!), a Southbridge shirt (these are the ones I mentioned the other day - note this is the same pattern used on a R&G shirt I've seen a couple of times), and finally, probably the find I'm proudest of from the sheer odds: a Jos A Banks cashmere sweater, which came from a Goodwill Outlet dig-through-bins-of-clothes place. Who knew?! Also left an Iceberg denim jacket there, rare made in Italy stuff but doesn't sell due to no demand. Ah, well. Everything available.
    [​IMG]

Cooper leather jacket - is this a G-1? Size 40, available.
    [​IMG]

Southwick for Bunce Brothers 3/2 jacket, just posting this to offend your senses :lol: pit to pit ~23, available
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers tuxedo, peak lapel, one button, unvented (e.g. classic), size 43. Didn't notice the hole at the bottom hem until I got it home :fu: easily fixable though with a slight shortening of the hem, so I might see if my tailor will do that cheaply. Available if anyone else would rather take that on. :(
    [​IMG]

Finally, my favorite: a Samuelsohn super 100's suit in my size. True bragging, sure it's not the crazy stuff you guys find, but I've never actually bought a Sammy in a thrift before, and this will replace a polyblend Brooks Brothers suit from early thrifting days as a summer suit. Little bit low button stance :eek: but I'll make it work. Just have to get one single moth hole rewoven, which I'm OK with sine it's to wear. For me, this is a pretty awesome score. ^^;
    [​IMG]

Interestingly, it's tagged J.P. Tilford at the neck, but I'm glad I opened up to check the inner tag:
    [​IMG]

Left behind:
    ANCIENT Battistoni tie
    100% Trashed Brioni tie
    Gran Sasso wool cashmere silk polo collar sweater... purple

Overall, this NC trip wasn't as good as the last haul - but still sort of productive. Really trying not to clutter up the thread, honest! :)

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Mainy-waiting...

6. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

If dibs has not been called I am very interested :)

7. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Sorry for the party foul. I'll keep it to PM next time. Thanks for the heads up. -M-

8. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Sounds like thrifting in Southern Connecticut.

9. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

I think if your talking about "thrifting" and places to go, others would be interested as well. If it's about your kids play date, soccer, etc., PM is probably better.

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

You bet! Then when you pull up to your favorite hot spot the next time, this is what you see:

[​IMG]

(mostly kidding) - though take this seriously for your local area - there are plenty of guys who have tried to help someone out only to find their stores cleaned out by that one person for months. c'est la vie, I suppose!

11. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Quote:
    [​IMG] That's all it was. Just tipping a guy off to some thrift stores in London that were OK.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Picked up a KFS chalk stripe plaid jacket today.

Never come across this label before with "Savile Row"...most have "London - New York"
    Anyone know the difference?
    Lettering is in Blue instead of White. More pics later.
    [​IMG]

Also found a HF DB Top Coat
    Another KFS, houndstooth plaid sprt coat
    Brown Herringbone Harris Tweed

13. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Making the rounds yesterday, I have 3 Goodwills and a Salvation Army within 5 square miles. When I'm going through the shirts I see the ENRO label and at first I think ETRO, but like the made in Italy Kirkland pants, after a second look, yuck. Looking through shirts and come across a ENRO shirt, damn I think to myself, why can't it be ETRO. A few feet later, an ETRO sweater!
    Really nice, marked XXL but not that big, fits like XL. Only problem were two small holes near tag, see below

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Any feedback?

Then my first Duchamp of England tie, 3¾ x 59" has to be NWOT:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

At the Salvation Army, saw my first Canali Proposta suit, it was a one button, looked older, so I left it behind:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is a cool coat. If it was my size, I'd be PMing you right now.

15. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Looks like the diffusion line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.