• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to post this before Mainy embarrasses us all:

Brooks Brothers Khaki Sport Coat (42ish - nice coat for summer)

Pringle of Scotland Silk/Silk Blend Sport Coat (44)

First non-sweater item I've seen from them

Older Brioni Solid Navy Blazer

Here's the real interesting piece - NWOT/NOS Battistoni Sport Coat (for Barneys) from 2004 (Size 50US)

Pockets are all still basted shut, sleeves do not have the buttons sewn on (unfortunately the buttons were nowhere to be found!)

Not Pictured:

- Brooks Brothers Flat Front Gray Pants with $5 in the pocket (they've already paid for themselves!)
- PRL Made in Italy Brown Leather Belt ($2)

Left Behind:

Another Brioni Navy Sport Coat (46) - had a hole, some tearing inside and was missing a number of "Brioni Roma" signature buttons.
Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Navy Suit (with LP Fabric - 44) - both shoulders were torn inside, missing all the front buttons and it was $45
Kirk Cameron

Also hit up Marshalls/Loehmanns/Ross/TJ Maxx, just picked up this BBGF tie:

Left Behind:

A number of Missoni & Valentino Ties, plus a Versace (all $50 each)
Rag & Bone Black OCBD-style shirt ($80)
Rag & Bone Denim/Chambray Blazer ($200)

dichosa

Reaction score

Slowly trying to justify buying those....:inlove:

Mcallisters are on the #5 last which AE states as being longer and narrower that its standard #1 and #7 lasts. I'm a TTS 12d and #1 and #7 last AEs fit perfectly. I spent over an hour getting a pair of Mcallister AEs to fit before the salesman figured out 11.5 EE.

TL;DR #5 Last is long and narrow--if you don't know how it fits you try it on in an AE store before you buy.

Good luck,
AB

Shiny

Reaction score

Place called "Well Suited" has some nice stuff usually. It's a consignment store, so prices will be higher than Goodwill/Salvation army type stores.
Was just there today and they have a mint pair of AE McAllisters in Merlot (10D) for $125. Some ties can be had for a good price. But have to sift through a lot of junk.
In fact, here is a link to their website with those shoes.
http://www.shopwellsuited.com/shop/Allen-Edmonds-Size-10-Mcallister-Shoes/

Not my size, but appreciate you posting listings like these, esp. since they ship. Thanks.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Went out to a couple of spots. Not much out today, but here are the highlights:

1x Brioni Tie.

1x Sulka dress shirt. 17.

1x Pringle of Scotland wool argyle sweater.

1x really nice "Monticello" for Nordstrom made in New England brown leather dress belt. 34. (I don't know a thing about "Monticello," but the belt was really nice and the made in NE is what hooked me.)

All Available.

Thanks, -M-

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I speak for everyone when I say...

MAINY, POST ALREADY, I CAN'T TAKE THE SUSPENSE

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way too short
confused.gif
. Thanks anyhow.

Your prayers were answered, Andro. Found the rarest of all birds today - 2 pair of zanella flat front khaki dress pants, one 32x29, the other 36x29, both with about 2" to add in length. Of course, when I measured the larger ones I noticed two small holes. I blame the lack of pleats.
Also found an olive Donegal tweed sportcoat that smelled like pot. All available.

MattR

Reaction score

Mcallisters are on the #5 last which AE states as being longer and narrower that its standard #1 and #7 lasts. I'm a TTS 12d and #1 and #7 last AEs fit perfectly. I spent over an hour getting a pair of Mcallister AEs to fit before the salesman figured out 11.5 EE.
TL;DR #5 Last is long and narrow--if you don't know how it fits you try it on in an AE store before you buy.
Good luck,
AB

This is actually really good to know. I've noticed that my AE size is all over the place. This must be why. Thanks!

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bytor13

Reaction score

toscano_adottato

Reaction score

Wanted to post this before Mainy embarrasses us all:

Brooks Brothers Khaki Sport Coat (42ish - nice coat for summer)

Pringle of Scotland Silk/Silk Blend Sport Coat (44)

First non-sweater item I've seen from them

Older Brioni Solid Navy Blazer

Here's the real interesting piece - NWOT/NOS Battistoni Sport Coat (for Barneys) from 2004 (Size 50US)

Pockets are all still basted shut, sleeves do not have the buttons sewn on (unfortunately the buttons were nowhere to be found!)

Not Pictured:

- Brooks Brothers Flat Front Gray Pants with $5 in the pocket (they've already paid for themselves!)
 - PRL Made in Italy Brown Leather Belt ($2)

Left Behind:

Another Brioni Navy Sport Coat (46) - had a hole, some tearing inside and was missing a number of "Brioni Roma" signature buttons.
Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Navy Suit (with LP Fabric - 44) - both shoulders were torn inside, missing all the front buttons and it was $45
Kirk Cameron

Also hit up Marshalls/Loehmanns/Ross/TJ Maxx, just picked up this BBGF tie:

Left Behind:

A number of Missoni & Valentino Ties, plus a Versace (all $50 each)
Rag & Bone Black OCBD-style shirt ($80)
Rag & Bone Denim/Chambray Blazer ($200)

Kirk Cameron? :nest:

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Not my size, but appreciate you posting listings like these, esp. since they ship. Thanks.

No prob. :fistbump:

The store actually offers way more than what is shown on their website. I almost want to walk in there and help them get their online sales up and going.

Ties like Hermes and Charvets(sometimes as low as $17.50!) that they could easily unload online.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
No prob.
fistbump.gif

The store actually offers way more than what is shown on their website. I almost want to walk in there and help them get their online sales up and going.
Ties like Hermes and Charvets(sometimes as low as $17.50!) that they could easily unload online.

PROXY PROXY!!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Passed through my local Marshall's today for the first time ever looking for some Robert Graham currency. $99 each.....no thanks. Dejected, I mozy over to the suit rack. MOTHER OF GOD.
Passed:
Tons of Polo II Made in Italy suits - various sizes - $499 each
Ermenegildo Zegna "Resort Suit" (unstructured linen/cotton blend I think) $899 with $2000 retail tags attached.
Brioni Tuxedo - $549 with $6500 tag still attached. I snagged this, and then realized the pants were missing. I scoured the floor and the pants rack to no avail (as if I was in a thrift store). Talked to the sales clerk about it....she said she was pretty sure the pants had been STOLEN. :fu:
Loro Piana 100% cashmere unstructured KNIT sportcoat. About a 40R or 40L. This thing was nuts. No retail price on it, but had a marshalls markdown from $999 to $419......bad pass?
Kopped
Sartoria Partenopea Wool Cashmere SC. Forget the exact listed size, but fit me well so probably around a 41R/L. $300 reduced from $899 with the $2500 retail tag still attached. :D Don't know if I'll be keeping it or not. I'll post some pics later.

Interested to see that LP jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads