The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

K, it's Sunday -- what's happening? :D

Man, if these things really do fetch $40-$70, this could save me a lot of time breaking even on my thrifting habit. I pass by them all the time. :facepalm:

Tonight: Size 31-32 -ish RLPL sophisticated black wool ultimate business pants of business. (Possibry available, haven't decided :foo:)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

2. MattR

MattR Senior member

Unique is more hit and miss than all the others I go to. Most other places are just miss, haha. But Unique has yielded several of my best pieces, so I keep taking the pain of going back.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I've had some go for $70 and some I cant get $40 for so who knows...Def pick up every one I see though as they are MUCH better sellers then BB. What is the tagged size on the RLPL (if they become available) or actual waist flat?
    Mine is hit or miss also, BUT have scored 2 Brionis and the J Press shirt from there for the same price as the Polo shirts...also a few Harris Tweeds and shoes (at least they have a lot)

4. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

5. MattR

MattR Senior member

I think that's exactly it. You could spend an hour in their shoe selection alone. So, higher probabilities of good finds.

6. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

On the topic of Robert Grahams: cruise your local TJ Maxx. You can often pick up a NWT for 25 or 30 bucks. They, uh, do well on the 'bay.

7. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

I've had great luck at that Unique, as well as the ones in Silver Spring. I've found a bunch of stuff and so has Androfan.

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

WTF I hate my TJ Maxx

An hour...damn your slow looking at shoes Matt! [​IMG] I can do an entire Unique in an hour looking at almost every item (minus Tshirts)

9. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

How much do they go for bnwt? I always see them at Marshalls and TJMaxx.

10. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Dior, super recent Corneliani, and recent (looking?) Ben Silver....typical day for Xenos. It's been said before but is worth saying again: you have the most consistently ridiculously awesome finds here. Very nice, as usual.

11. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I found my first J Press today.

The pants are waaayy too big, but I never see J Press, so I picked it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also came across this Canali that, since it was at Value Village, was a bit spendy. But I hear that tomorrow is a President's Day half-off sale, so I might swing by to see if it's still there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. floors to go

floors to go Senior member

I actually just looked through his lists and found two of my items from the past month listed. I was wondering why each one had 100+ watchers.

13. rose04

rose04 Well-Known Member

I think just about all of them do now, but only for CONUS + Alaska flights. I fly Delta all the time and it's usually worked pretty well for me, unfortunately it won't work for hops across the pond. :angry: More info here.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sometimes I see some of my listings go bananas and I wonder if it made it to the "Inside Track", as they aren't listed usually :spam:

15. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Just went mall cruising to see what's new in stores and to get myself up to date on the most recent tags:

Ordered my MTM Isaia suit for 15% off at Neiman Marcus.

[​IMG]

Just kidding, though if anyone has this kind of bread or has saved up enough from thrift store flipping, this is your chance to get fly for a slight bit less than the MSRP. I flipped through the many many books of fabric swatches and all I have to say is....[​IMG][​IMG]

I did a walk through of Cucinelli, Tom Ford, Charvet, Zegna, Loro Piana, etc. just to figure out what I'm looking to feel for if I ever turn into hyperdrive thrift mode and don't want to look at every tag. I also figured out that the Zanella Todd model is one of the flat front slim(ish) pants they currently make. So if you see that most recent "Platinum" waistband lining that people have mentioned, look for the Todd model name listed on the inner size/materials tag to assure yourself you'll look like a boss and not like an overweight CFO.

I also checked out the horrific Robert Graham selection and saw that terrible paisley shirt someone posted the eBay link for last night. That thing only retails for $225, so someone must've been drunkenly bidding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.