The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

My personal fav, was a recent episode of Storage Hunters, where the guys found a NES and an Atari 2600 and said they would sell the pair (Used) for $2500.00, rediculous.

2. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

And here I thought I made a "special" find today! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If thats the case, ill even throw in my copy of Metroid, and the secret code for Contra.

4. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

PM'ed

5. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

My wife is a lawyer and I have my MBA...does that count for anything?

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

Nice find! I can never understand what makes people donate gems like this.

BTW, what size is your size?

7. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Was finally able to hit some thrifts after a few weeks. Not much, but a couple of things for me.

NWT PRL cords, NWT PRL lambswool sweater, BBGF long sleeve polo and some no-name ties.

gabardine wool/wool/silk
    [​IMG]

Available:

Brioni Tie 3.75'' (needs some steam)

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Faconnable 15

[​IMG]

Charles Tyrwhitt x 2 (16.5 - 34 double cuff)

[​IMG][​IMG]

And I didn't buy this awful, awful jacket:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Ugly as sin, but damn that stuff is hard to find. Pretty pricey at retail and sold in high end boutiques like Fred Segal.

9. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Wait, really? I actually searched it on ebay while I was in the store, thinking I could flip it, but I came up with nothing!

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, it's not a common label. I've only heard of it. Quality is good from what I've heard. That blazer probably retailed at $750+

11. amadar

amadar Senior member

Just one find today......It was a good one. TEASER TIME............

[​IMG]

More info to follow.

12. Ubryaj

Ubryaj Member

I'm at SA. There's a million Oxxford suits with pants. $20. Made for a Stanley Gumberg. They're from Larrimors in Pittsburgh. Think they're size 43. Should I get them to resale? Too big for me.

13. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Thought I would come back with nothing today, was pretty pissed the first two stores I hit gave me nothing (and I thought my car was giving my problems). Kicking myself right now because I had to pass on some things because I didn't know if there would be any interest (see below) and now am kind of regretting it. Also passed up a YSL suit that would fit me perfectly, but only because I was feeling cheap and didn't know if the $20 was worth it. I know it's not a Rive Gauche so I won't be flipping it, but it was Made in France and I think it's fairly new (also jacket fit me perfectly so between 36-38) from the tag. I finally go to a final goodwill, and pick up this jacket which I was hesitating on because I really liked the feel and colors, but I couldn't find any tags except for the name and really couldn't deduce what it's made out of (still can't).

Then I remembered I had a new phone :slayer:. Googled this "Alfred Dunhill" fellow (sounded familiar) and apparently I've just picked up a pretty nice jacket. Like I said, couldn't find any tags or anything but it fits so I may not make this available. Can anyone give me more info (some of his stuff seems to retail at $800+, if so I may be hitting ebay for the first time in a while if I got lucky). Most of the searched I keep doing keep returning cigar and luxury good stuff.

I also found this watch which I'm going to see if I can get cleaned up. It still works (it's mechanical and sprang right to life perfectly), it says Swiss made, but from what I can tell the guy was Swiss born, worked in Switzerland but opened a shop here? Can anyone help me out on this, trying to decide whether I want to keep it (gotta get it cleaned and a new face if so), and it looks like I might have to somehow contact this guy for the right face if I decide to keep it as I can only find info on the watch on their website (although this particular one isn't up there).

http://www.swisschaletboulder.com/watches/swisschalet/

Without further ado pics of some stuff I left and the pickups. Would like some veteran info on this beau brummell, I may have passed up a piece of history apparently -_-

Chalet Watch:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The YSL. Thinking about going back and grabbing this, still don't have a gray pinstripe and it was pretty nice. $40 wouldn't be too bad if this was one of the better quality YSL (again, no Gauche level but was pretty well constructed, fully canvassed IIRC, etc.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, some mysteries:

This Beau brummell. Apparently this guy is like an OG of dandyism? Anyone know a bit about recently made stuff? Was 99% wool and 1% poly something nylon. Took me a while to find the tag but I knew something was different by the feel of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone know what this watch is? Gonna ask in the watch thread but I feel like I've seen the red hand before. Didn't pick it up but I think it'll still be there if I want it (or someone else is interested):

[​IMG]

This tag is bothering me. It was on a really well made wool overcoat/jacket that was Made in Italy, but I couldn't tell the maker, probably should've taken a picture of the other tag, but it was some type of letter combination like c fg or c NG? I don't know but something keeps telling me to go back and get this
    [​IMG]

Got a few other things to trade that I'll try to get picks up of later. Also, really glad we had that Christian Dior / YSL convo. I didn't post but I was lurking and it definitely saved me from buying a likely unflippable CD shirt today. Was old, but definitely not Silver label (was a shirt with a Christian Dior on a white background), laughed in my head at the argument that was going on up here and left that thing on the racks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  14. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

The quality was certainly there, but man, oh man, was it awful. The pictures don't even do it justice. If I knew for certain there was someone on eBay that would buy it, I would in a hot second.

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Good grief!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.