The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattR

MattR Senior member

:slayer: That's a really good day right there.

Thanks for the critique and compliments! I hadn't noticed how the cuffs lay on the shoes before, but you're right - something is off. Me thinks I need a new tailor, or I may have hiked them a bit high over my hips, so they aren't laying with any break. The pants are a medium charcoal, so I'm pretty sure the light is washing them out. There was a ton of light coming through the window when I took this; but I was already late, so c'est la vie. And yes, the dimple! Corrected after I took that shot. Part of it is that this thing was never dimpled before I got it - it was pretty close to new, so I'm breaking it in - aka good call on working the fabric more. All told, very useful critique.

As for yourself, I am a huge fan of soporific looks. This has a CBD feel, overall; although, the guys in that thread would probably have their own critiques for you. Two things: (1) Maybe the shirt cuffs were being shy, but it looks like the sleeves could use some shortening and (2) the tie knot would look much more comfortable in a spread collar over a point. Otherwise, I think that's a very flattering fit for your build.

2. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Truzzi tie? Didn't know they made any... might be interested if you go back, just to take a look at even with the damage. Thanks!

Out of town, no thrifting as of yet... we'll see. Found a few tidbits Thursday before we left, but they're all sitting at home in a bag. Eye-bleaching Etro shirt and Ted Baker shirts, size 40, was the highlight ^^;

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Heavens to Betsy, how did I miss this!? Nice haul!! :worship:

4. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

Take some of it off my hands!

5. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

Heh, quoting myself here, but does anyone know anything about this Gucci? I don't know anything about dating or evaluating them at all. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  6. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Think I blew it today by leaving a pair of decent looking Frye harness boots on the shelf at the thrift today. I think they were women's size 7.5 and marked $30. I probably should have picked them up as it appears they bring $100 no problem on fleabay. Bah. Also left behind a Daks three piece suit and a Harris Tweed overcoat that were too small.

7. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

There is no way Robert Graham shirts can be worth anything, eBay must be lying and adding an extra position in the number, instead of $7 it shows 70 :facepalm:. It must be a conspiracy. They are by far the fugliest shirts I have ever had the misfortune to see (maybe as horrid as English Laundry). And all made in India as well from cheap fabrics - who does this Robert guy think he is to charge $200+ for absolute bullshit - and very very ugly bullshit as well?

Allow me to add to complements - a nice ensemble there. I am glad to see you posting pics of yourself. Oxxford is very nice, and looks fairly recent as well. A good score.

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

+1 x infinity

9. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I have to confess that I couldn't resist picking up a RG shirt that I came across today just to see if there's anything to the hype. I've seen them from time to time, but it never crossed my mind that that they might be worth anything. We'll see what happens next Sunday night...

10. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    An inside source told me that Mickey Rourke and Dog the Bounty Hunter are buying these things up like crazy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. MattR

MattR Senior member

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated. Honestly, I stole this from a picture Manton posted, but I like the way it goes. And the Oxxford is mid-90's actually (I want to say 1996, but I'm too lazy and tired to check and make sure), but these things age like wine.

12. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Thanks a bunch as well man. I think you're spot on on the shirt/jacket sleeve length issues. I'm actually working through my wardrobe and reassessing my sleeve length fits (much to my chagrin, but much to ebay's/SF's enjoyment), and beginning to realize that my goddamn arms are inhumanely long, and longer than I thought when initially buying shirts. Sigh. Also fully agree on the collar style, which is what I was trying to (less eloquently) suggest with the "THIS COLLAR SUCKS" comment I made, so thanks. Thanks for the kind words man. I look forward to those forthcoming HF Madison/LP fit pics [​IMG].

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

You will be simultaneously pleasantly surprised, and fearfully appalled by your ebay results.

It's very much a mixed emtion.

14. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

Picked up a few more interesting things earlier in the week:

3 interesting scottish tartan ties. No idea if they are worth anything, but they are cool:

[​IMG]

Here are the tags:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A navy Corneliani SC, 46R with nice MOP buttons, a couple of which are cracked, sadly. Though only on the sleeve, front are thankfully in good condition

Bad picture (blame the iPhone), but its a nice coat:
    [​IMG]

Couple of Zegna 16's, excellent condition:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zegna, 16.5, great condition as well:
    [​IMG]

And a nice Canali 15.75, also in great condition:
    [​IMG]

15. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Shiny...the Armani's should have stayed at the store.. I like the BB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.