The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

I didn't. I should have tried but I didn't find anything else at that location and kinda wanted to get out.

And thanks to everyone reassuring me that Oxxford was a SC.

2. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

Pretty good haul today.

Three Borrelli shirts, the blue one appears NWOT, the white is in exceptionally good shape, and the beige is also in excellent shape. 15.5, 16, and 16.5 respectively.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Five great ties! From left to right: RLPL, Turnbull&Asser, Kiton, Gucci, Marino Gabri (?). Never heard of Marino Gabri but it appears new and was handmade in Italy.

Group shot:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

RLPL
    [​IMG]

T&A
    [​IMG]

Kiton
    [​IMG]

Gucci (this thing is really awesome)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marino Gabri
    [​IMG]

And last, but not least, a mint, and I mean mint, 44R RLPL charcoal pinstripe suit. 95% super 150s, 5% cashmere, feels awesome.
    With flash, so lighter than the actual color:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Color is more like this, but this is still lighter than in reality:
    [​IMG]

All thrifted, but the RLPL tie and RLPL suit were from an upper end thrift store, so not exactly steals, but damn cheap for what they are.

Also picked up this NWT RLPL 100% cashmere shirt/sweater a couple days ago. I'm not sure what you'd classify it as, it's kind of like a button down shirt but made of cashmere sweater fabric, but it is the most impressive cashmere I've ever handled. Retail was $1400!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty much everything is available if anyone is interested!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

3. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Johnny Carson, too. My places are thick with that stuff. Doesn't look that godawful bad, actually (well it does, but there's a lot worse on the racks in comparison) but dated.

4. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I scored a shit pile of stuff today... all new w/ tags.

RLPL cashmere/linen Breton sweater
    Joseph Aboud 120's navy SC
    2 Psycho Bunny plaid cashmere scarves
    Belvedere (?? made in Italy) 60/40 grey cashmere/merino cable zip sweater
    2 Faconnable silk&wool PS
    Faconnable chocolate brown merino v-neck sweater
    Zegna tie
    BB navy chinos

retail as marked: $2,755

I paid: $545 .... not a bad haul methinks!

(sorry long day, too lazy for pix.. maybe later)

5. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

But not thrift stores? I don't think I range far enough south to run into these people, but it does make me shudder. OTOH, if I throw a few judicious elbows when the cameras are in sight, maybe I'll get on TV.

6. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I went to 4 stores today and turned up the following:

2x SULKA shirts in 17 / 33 and 17 / 34 (one solid white, one medium blue and light blue striped).

1x FRAY for Neiman Marcus shirt in 18 (blue).

1x INCOTEX trousers - MADE IN ITALY (not Romania). 36 x 32 (pleated, brownish-gray).

1x Turnbull & Asser shirt in 15 1/2 (blue and white stripes). NOT AVAILABLE... it's for me :)

And a PILE of 1960's vintage Trad / Ivy stuff (that may be off-topic on this thread).

Can anybody tell me anything about this tie?

[​IMG]

Or this shirt:

[​IMG]

I'm pretty familiar with classic American menswear in general and some British brands in particular, but I'm only just now starting to consider French or Italian brands since lurking about and later joining SF. Thanks. -M-

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow! Talk about a haul! Amazing! :slayer:

Also, that tie is a grail item in itself. It's the elusive Dior Homme line. There was just a discussion a bit ago on how scarce that stuff is to begin with and finding it in a thrift store is a major score. The Versace looks real but is old. I'd say pre 1998-ish?

8. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

See I found a PRL version of this in supima cotton the other week and don't know what to call it either. I would love to find more shirts like this. Yours is stunning by the way.

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I love that this has become a thing!! Ok man, you're my NoVA peeps, so I'll give you my honest assessment:

I really like the jacket and shirt fits...some will say they're too tight, but I tend toward that anyhow. Yes, I can see what you're saying about the waist, but IMO it only needs to come out a teeeeeeeeensy bit more. I think a bit more work is needed on the lower half. I really can't put my finger on it, but for some reason I just don't like the way that those pants cuffs show up with those shoes. It's a strange thing to critique, and I can't put my finger on why it looks off to me, but it does. Maybe the colors are a bit odd or flushed out? IDK, but I'd like to see some other, possibly darker pants. I like the tie, but work on the dimpling!! I fully sympathize, as a dude who's new to dimpling and having a really tough time getting a Spoo-rific dimple out of my ties, but work the fabric a bit more to get a more even and deeper-sitting dimple. It looks super cool when done perfectly.

All told, I love the look. The Oxxford SC is definitely the scene stealer (as should come as no surprise). Also, the shirt sleeve length to jacket cuffs showing ratio is perfect. Perfect amount of shirt sleeves showing. LOVE that people are doing this as a thing and being brave souls and posting. Keep at it champs.

I wasn't planning on doing so, but you've inspired me, and I'll post yesterday's fit for me (I teleworked today [​IMG], so my fitpic would consist of destroyed jeans and my law school t-shirt). I'm actually pretty dissatisfied with it, which is part of the reason I didn't post it yesterday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suit: Brooks Brothers
    Tie: Burberry
    Shirt: Armani collezioni
    Shoes: florsheim imperial wingtips in shell

My personal criticisms: Nothing wrong with it, it's just too boring. I don't like the way the shirt collar sits (Armani Collezioni), and the knot the tie (Burberry) ties ups. Good pattern, but the knot is too limp and dead for my taste.

10. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Thanks Nat. I was reading the posts by Young Am and I knew as much re: late 1970's through early 2000's CD, Lanvin, Pierre Cardin, YSL, etc. and never gave them a second look. It was not until today that I was sifting through a pile of ties looking for the usual suspects from the 1960's when I turned up that tie with the silver "DIOR" label and decided to pick it up and see it if was worth anything. It's nice and thin, but it's covered in little "CD's." Not really my thing.

Same thing with the Gianni Versace. I never pick up GV stuff. But I did after reading all the posts about it. It's in overall great condition. I'm going to do the OXY-Clean treatment and it'll be good as new.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this. -M-

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

PM'd on the 16 Borrelli

12. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

It was inevitable. My guess is, the show will make it. Hopefully, it won' t make a difference. Things are already a lot tougher than they were before the Internet.

13. tben

tben Senior member

Does anyone watch Oxygen?

14. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

So so day today. Ties, mostly:

[​IMG]
    BB Makers, Lambswool Scotland tie, Rubinacci, Rubinnacci NWT, Armani, Armani

AE Kingsleys
    [​IMG]
    Do you guys know if a cobbler will replace the corkbed in a shoe? I could send these to AE for the recrafting, but want to see if there is a cheaper option than $125.

Edit, I just noticed that the 1st Rubinaci has a snag:(

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

All nice quality stuff, but I think all of that got donated for one reason. Would kill all of it with fire. :smarmy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.