Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Good luck!
    The Oxxford definitely looks like a sportcoat to me. I'll second the other guys on the button comment, I've only seen those raw horn/antler buttons on Oxxford sportcoats.
    I too remember a few years back when someone found a bunch of Dr. Phil's stuff in a LA-area thrift.
    +1. A all around great, knowledgeable guy. Just had a single find today: - Fairly recent Isaia for Neiman Marcus navy 3 btn suit. Sciammeria 150's fabric. No vent. 46 R. Dahl5yankees found the jacket and it had a tear in the sleeve right along the seam, so it was repairable. He offered it to me and I decided to pass too because it seemed too much of a project with the fact that it had the tear and it was an orphan. Combed the store over and found the trousers. Went back and picked the jacket back up. Anyone interested in a nice "project" suit? Speaking of XLT (Dr. Phil comments), I found some pretty recent (red label) Samuelsohn ivory dinner jackets in a 46 XLT today. If someone is interested, I can see if they are still there when I go back. This guy had a lot of formal wear. He also donated a couple Norman Hilton tuxedos.

2. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I am interested :D

Edit: which model is it? I just noticed it doesn't have a vent, but I am curious in it still

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

3. catside

catside Senior member

Thrift pics game, crappy photo.

JPress tweed sack (AAAC thrift exchange), TA shirt (Klobber), HF collection tie & sterling cufflinks (own thrift), Unseen: Ferragamo bluchers (Nataku), generic flannel.

[​IMG]

4. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

thrift bragging: ladies edition:
    Brooks Brothers made in italy women's suit. dark navy flannel wool with a subtle dotted pinstripe. 3/2, flat front pants, etc. perfect condition!
    if you attached guys aren't looking for stuff for your lady, you're missing out. double the genders to shop for = double the potential deals you can find. also, it makes her happy and shows her you're thinking about her and whatnot. but the important thing is TWICE THE FINDS! :slayer:
    [​IMG]

edit: does anyone know who makes the BB italy womens stuff?

5. royskeen

royskeen Senior member

Just scored a $450 Brioni french cuff dress shirt NWT for $15 at Jeremy's Department Store in S.F. MSRP is like $450! Score of the month for me :slayer:

6. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Did they tag it wrong?

7. royskeen

royskeen Senior member

Don't think so. Jeremy's Department store is a discount place. They have a 70% discount off its already low prices this weekend. Only for previously marked down merchandise though. Last month I scored an Isaia pair of dress pants for $49. Fun stuff!

8. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

Have not done the thrift thing in a while but went to a shop today. Spotted a 1969 Gieves SC, ticket pocket, nifty grey with subtle red stripe and the most handwork I have ever seen in any item ever. It was to small for me, I suspect around a 38-40 but it was bespoke so nothing to indicate other than a guess. It pained me to leave it so if anyone wants a project coat let me know. The lining needed work but otherwise a amazing old school item beyond anything I have in my rotation, sigh.

9. wcl

wcl Senior member

I would bet you I run into Mr. Namath evertime I go thrifting. I have seen pieces from the Telly Savalas collection, as well as the Sammy Davis, Jr collection. :)

On a side note I was talking to the lady who runs my local Salvation Army and mentioned the tag through the collar dilema. She told me they are going to a standardized pricing for a lot of things, so many of the price tags are going away altogether. I, for one welcome this. And the pricing may have already kicked in here. I grabbed another Brioni shirt and pants which were tagged $8 each. I paid a total of $10 for both. :slayer:

10. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Damn that sounds hot. Ugh, why couldn't it be a 40-42 instead?

11. catside

catside Senior member

Nothing to write home about today. Several casual shirts to wear weekends, a Barbour, nwt wool/cotton Viyella, Missoni sport, and Boss in various checks.
    Also ties, a BB green/blue thick stripe, a Burberry, HF collection. and TA. All very serviceable. Left several ties, BBs, Burberry and Zegnas for width or design, one Truzzi for snag.

12. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    There were absolutely no pocket tags. The only tags on the entire jacket were the Donna Karan Couture, and a Made in USA tag. I read that all of the DK Couture items that are Made in the USA were by Greenfield, as far as suits and SCs are concerned.

13. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:facepalm:

If that show hits it big, we'll soon find out how the storage locker guys feel. Someone was telling me that he knew someone that did a lot of storage locker auctions in the past and over the past year or two the prices and crowds are just obscene due to the store Storage Wars (which I personally love).

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

"Thrift Wars, meanwhile, is a competitive fashion series set in New York and follows “elite and hardcore” thrifters that scour flea markets, warehouses and estate sales to see who can make the most money buying vintage designer wear in a given day. The executive producer is Matt Sharp for Sharp Entertainment."

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.