Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

where in Fl are you?

2. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

:brick: ... :fu: ... :censored: ... :cloud: ... :plain:

That's EXACTLY what I wanted to wear over my dinner suit. A size or so too large for me.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

:lol:

4. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Spoo got us all running to MArshall's and TJ Maxx's about a month or two ago.

I hit 15 or 20. It's hit or miss. There's one store that has "the good stuff," (cucinelli, corneliani, RLPL, Canali, etc.) constantly, and the rest seem to have one or two things, occasionally. Usually in larger sizes (46 and up) although I was darn close on a cashmere houndstooth jacket myself (I think Canali) marked down south of $100. It was a 42 (and it's gone now). That's how it goes in my neck of the woods. Basically if you have a Marshall's and Maxx (I live near the TJX mothership, up here at least they come in pairs close to each other) in a rich neighborhood (i.e. look at the caliber of the stores around it) you might have one of these gold-mine TJX stores.

But even typical MArshalls (not in rich neighborhoods) can be OK -- i.e. I got $525 RL Sandersons (Allen Edmonds) new for $99, two diff pairs from two diff Marshall's.

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Oh no, I certainly remember...I also took part in this quest running around everywhere. It's just that none of the Marshalls/TJ Maxx's near me never even had high caliber stuff to begin with, much less had it marked down so dramatically. Seriously, I think the best thing I found out of all of the stores near me was one PRL sweater, so I'm just wondering why my stores don't even seem to ever get this stuff in the first place. [​IMG]

6. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

It took a lot of running around to figure out which ones had the good stuff up here. Most TJ's and Marshalls...as posters have said here before...carry the finest Chaps, Paper Denim & Cloth, Affliction, Izod, and Beverly Hills POlo Club crap money can buy.

But even the crappy ones have the occasional Canali shirt in a 14 or a half dozen Robert Graham shirts marked $59.99 that I wouldn't be caught dead in...all the truly quality stuff in my size I've seen I can count on my fingers. I've only bought one item (corneliani cardigan, which I love). Wait, I also got a BB main line wool odd vest for $28 that is fantastic. The thing I regret not getting...PRL thick cable knit sweater that was 100% silk, $60 marked down from something like $239. It was so nice, but I was feeling miserly that day...

...the real reason I'm posting here...Stay tuned late Sunday, I am traveling far and will alight in a new city for me for thrifting. HAve to work all next week on business, but Sunday's mine -- and I have a rental car and GPS...and am not afraid to use it, ha. Hopefully I'll be posting some killer finds. Taking an extra bag, empty, assuming I'll be bringing some good loot home!

7. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

One other thing: Anyone want to offer advice on cufflinks? I got my first French cuff shirt and have no idea what to get. I know they will be thrifted. Taking suggestions. OR if I need multiple pairs for different applications, I'll start a punch list. And what to avoid.

8. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    I am personally a huge fan of crystal and mother of pearl. Enamel gets boring after a while.

9. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Get some silk knots (navy blue and brown are what I use most)

I would then get some sterling silver knots.

I bought these thinking they were silver, but they are more gold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123#ht_1264wt_1139

I love the pattern, and they go with pretty much everything.

Edit: I don't have any MOP links, but it's a good idea!

10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Ooooohhhhh....love MOP. Keep ideas coming, putting all this in my phone for easy access.

11. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

Found a few things yesterday. Almost had a heart attack when I saw a Bijan hanger. I think there was a Haggar jacket on it.

One lonely tie. I wish I could find ties like some of you guys. If I ever find ties its always one at a time or none. Insert firstworldproblems.jpg here. Anyway its a good one Polo self tipped silk whateverwhatever.
    [​IMG]

A J Press SC feels new 46R I think and an Orvis SC same size both available
    [​IMG][​IMG]

A Armani SC that just seemed to recent to pass on. It wasn't until I got it home that I noticed the pockets were still sewn shut. 44L available.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Oxxford and Southwick. Both mine. Please don't tell me the Oxxford is orphaned. its got to be the most recent Oxxford I've found. No lapel hole check the buttons. Can anyone date this? The Southwick is old and has a few moth holes but fits amazingly and it exactly the check pattern I was looking for.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Thanks a nice little haul! The Oxxford pattern looks nice even if an orphan could be worn on it's own.

Did you grab the Bijan hanger. Could def be a nice little flip on ebay or the forum there. I've sold Brioni hangers (cheap plastic kind) before at $20 + shipping.

13. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

A J. Press sport coat yesterday, perhaps not a big deal for folks elsewhere, but huge here in the Midwest, where I have found exactly one other Press item, a seersucker shirt, in three years of going every. single. day.

14. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

+1 on the silk knots. I got these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/31025847933...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2750wt_1139 and wear them all the time.

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

The Oxxford looks like an SC based on the buttons to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.