The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

i think the other dude's "every other piece in this thread is crap" was actually referring to the low quality YSL/Dior stuff found in this thread. i don't think he was implying that all the brioni/kiton/RLPL/etc stuff in this thread are absolute crap. he was only talking within the context of YSL/Dior.

2. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

The AE Arlilngtons as I said earlier, are a great shoe. Bought a pair new in 1989, in that burgundy. Looks sharp.

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

xenos has become one of the most consistent posters here.

I bought some amazing shirts from him, you should all buy stuff from him!

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+1. I think he's moving up on becoming the new Pejsek. I think they live in the same general area too. Not sure where Pejsek went. He kinda fell off the map.

Wait.....what?

I'm more focused on quality. I picked up a motherlode of suits a month or so back. All very recent, side vented pieces in desirable colors/patterns. They were custom made for a local upper-end men's clotheir and were made by Adrian Jules in Rochester, NY. Not a well-known name at all. Even on SF, I'm guessing only a small handful of members know about AJ. There is a ton of handwork. Lots of nice details and they are overall very well-made pieces. Honestly, in 10 years of thrifting, I've never found YSL Rive Gauche or Dior Homme. I have picked up a lot of nice pieces from Isaia, Brioni, Oxxford, Borrelli, etc as well. Does my wardrobe suck?

I buy lower end stuff too. I buy REI and Patagonia S/S button downs for my summer wear, but don't bother cluttering the thread with it. I know people don't really care. This stuff is common. Why brag?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

5. w00tah

w00tah Well-Known Member

Picked up a pair of Corneliani pants in dark navy double pleated - tag sized 36 pretty long inseam as well.

Does Goodwill usually adjust prices if you find tears in suit linings? They want $50 for a Southwick suit that has tears in the armpit lining.

6. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

FYI: the YoungAmerican/Everett/Nataku sub-thread is now three people deep into the "i mis-read your post and am now responding to it" steez.

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Decent stuff, though nothing mindblowing:

[​IMG]

Armani Collezioni (normally skip it, but this one has a really unique pattern and was super soft and my size), Brandolini (never heard of it but I like the pattern, it fits me, and it seems really nice), J. Press (never seen a J. Press shirt before)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Norman Hilton 3/2 sack tweed

[​IMG][​IMG]

Obviously not clothes, but I was really excited about this..."Piel" naked leather duffel bag. Ridiculously soft, roomy, really cool. Looks like they retail for ~$185...a far cry from the $9.74 I paid for it (http://www.amazon.com/Piel-Leather-Large-Duffel-Bag/dp/B000AS2EPQ), and this one is in excellent condition aside from the few scratches visible there on the side. Love this thing.

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I was able to profit from the aforementioned find. :D

I have dealt with Nataku several times, and met up several times, he is great to trade/buy from!

I have seen a picture of his finds, his closet is loaded with top notch items! I am quite jealous actually :embar:

Speaking of which, you should post the pic of the recent finds!

9. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

+1 - he's sent me some awesome shirts as well! Great stuff, great seller!

10. vexco

vexco Senior member

Haven't had much time lately but stopped into a couple today:

Oxxford SC from same donor as others...this makes 7 total Oxxford's thrifted within the week.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

top to bottom: Pendleton(size L), Pendleton(size L), Thomas Pink french cuff(17 1/2 - 44), Zanella(40x30 1.75" cuff, double pleat), Zanella(40x30 1.75" cuff, double pleat), Bill's Khakis(34x32, flat front M2's), both ties are Zegna.

Everything is available as, again, I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING TO FIT ME. Trade with me! They also gave me the Oxxford hanger after I offered to buy it...such nice people!

11. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Quote: I think we are saying the same thing.

Quote: Fair enough...

I have a buddy who had a glass of Pappy Van Winkle in a bar last year, and now swears all other bourbon is "crap." YoungAmerican's tone reminded me of this guy. I like Pappy, but I drink a ton of Wild Turkey, and if I go to a bar that is serving 10 cent shots of Wild Turkey, I'm gonna brag about it.

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah - pretty much. My point (though I wandered a bit off course) is that a little research doesn't hurt. People should look up what the good stuff is. It's not too hard. Don't buy the junk expecting it to be gold. I'm just getting a bit tired of seeing the same old dreck day after day on here. It's enough having to wade through it at the thrifts. :laugh:

13. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd Well-Known Member

price check on that pendleton in red ... PM me

14. MattR

MattR Senior member

+1. Andro has been doing very well lately, too. And I say this notwithstanding the fact I just met him today to buy a newer HF charcoal to round out my suit collection (much thanks, btw!) :D

This was probably my biggest lesson on here. Not everything needs to make its way out, especially if you're keeping it. I will say it is nice to see what people pick up, but for trade and purchase purposes. Much easier here than shifting through B&S.

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Haha, thanks man! It's quite a beaut - glad to help you fill a gap!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.